Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #811
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliners View Post
Thanks for such a verbose reply knc1!

While that's sad news that Kindle is probably really dead, I am glad to hear supportive voice here.

I live far away from US so even if Amazon sends new device and only charges for shipment that would still probably be more expensive than to buy some cheap Chinese device in local store. Is glued corpus really making repair impossible?
Kindles **are** a "cheap Chinese device" -
But I know what you meant, some off-brand e-book reader.

Since it is probably just a throw-away item for you now - try:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K4_Index#TearDown

You might get lucky and be able to see the problem by eye.

But from the description of how it behaves, I bet the corrosion is between one of the BGA mounted devices and the motherboard.
(Very small clearances, very hard to get even dry air between the device and the board.)

There are (or at least where) board cleaning chemicals that might 'fix' it once you have the board free from everything else.
The really good ones are out-lawed here in the USA, they also kill the user (most often, from cancer).
But in your country (somewhere outside of the USA) .... I have no idea what you might be able to find as "board cleaning chemicals".
Those things might be worth trying.

You might also try packing the motherboard in dry rice and cooking it at 200F for awhile (any temperature below the point of boiling water should be safe for the board and parts).

But don't put too much hope on any of the ideas above being any help.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #812
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Stuck on "Waiting for Kindle"

Yesterday, in the middle of The Intel Trinity, I pressed the page down button on my several-years-old Kindle Keyboard 3G, and nothing happened. It has frozen before, but this was the first time a hard reboot (holding the slide switch for 15+ seconds) didn't work, even after charging 16 hours or so.

So I downloaded the Kubrick 3.6 Live CD to debrick K3 devices ISO image, burned it onto a CD, and booted to a Ivy Bridge and, later, Sandy Bridge, PC. That went fine. Then I carefully followed the instructions regarding the power slider and the volume decrease button. Result: For at least fifteen minutes -- after which I give up -- the PC shows, in the middle of its screen, "Waiting for device" alternating with "Waiting for device ... ".

I've tried two different PC's, and two different USB cables, with the same results.

This Kindle has never been jailbroken, and any physical abuse is in the rather distant past.

I have another Kindle 3G in good working order except that the screen is cracked. So I have hardware repair options. But before I open the case to swap parts, what more (other than letting it charge for another night) should I try?

Thanks for all advice.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-06-2015 at 09:04 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #813
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Follow-up on #812: I successfully swapped the logic board with my cracked screen unit, and now have a Kindle Keyboard in good working order. Those black screws sure are tiny

The bad logic board seems to be in the same bricked state as before. So, in interest of having a spare music player, and, more important, a spare good logic board, I'm still interested in any advice regarding my #812 question.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #814
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
- - - -
I'm still interested in any advice regarding my #812 question.
You are not being ignored.

That "waiting for device" message can have many causes, and the answer is not obvious to me.

Maybe to someone else it is (the author is long gone from here).
Old 09-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #815
xs400
xs400 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

That "waiting for device" message can have many causes, and the answer is not obvious to me.

Maybe to someone else it is (the author is long gone from here).
Just debricked my K3 WiFi.

"Waiting for device" is where it got stuck many times. I slapped it a couple of times and twisted the body gently, pressing it here and there [Accupressure ??] - and finally the green message! From there it took 3 hours to debrick the K3.

Note: I did not put any pressure on the screen.
xs400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #816
knc1
Going Viral

Three hours on a K3 is the expected time.
It is the slowest of the Kindle models that Kubrick handles.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #817
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Na, I didn't think that.

Anyway, it was a holiday weekend in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs400 View Post
Just debricked my K3 WiFi.

"Waiting for device" is where it got stuck many times. I slapped it a couple of times and twisted the body gently, pressing it here and there [Accupressure ??] - and finally the green message!
Good job.

Your post is just the kind of encouragement that usually leads me to find the way. Just now trying your way didn't work for me, but it certainly is worth trying.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #818
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Anyway, it was a holiday weekend in the US.
- - - -
Despite rumors to the contrary, Texas has not succeed from the union (again).
Although a lot of us would like Mexico to take it back (but they don't want it either).
Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #819
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Despite rumors to the contrary, Texas has not succeed from the union (again).
Although a lot of us would like Mexico to take it back (but they don't want it either).
I suspect you perhaps mean "secede" rather than "succeed"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #820
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Absolutely not! The plan, I believe, is for Texas to succeed the Union. All [our] base are belong to [them].

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #821
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect you perhaps mean "secede" rather than "succeed"?
You just can't stop that Windows CE from taking over late at night.
But I don't have an excuse for the U.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #822
Lee5150
Lee5150 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Jailbreak KT

Hi all,

Any chance someone can help me?

I bought my girlfriend a new KT for her birthday and she's asked if I can put custom screensavers on there "like her friend can!".

It is currently running 5.3.7.3 and I've wondering if this version can be jailbroken?

I've seen people have had success jailbreaking 5.7.3 with Kubrick but I've not had the same luck.

I've followed the steps to get the ISO file onto my USB stick but whenever I try to use it it says "no usable kubrick partition found".

Has anyone had this or is it me being stupid?
Lee5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #823
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee5150 View Post
Hi all,

Any chance someone can help me?

I bought my girlfriend a new KT for her birthday and she's asked if I can put custom screensavers on there "like her friend can!".

It is currently running 5.3.7.3 and I've wondering if this version can be jailbroken?

I've seen people have had success jailbreaking 5.7.3 with Kubrick but I've not had the same luck.

I've followed the steps to get the ISO file onto my USB stick but whenever I try to use it it says "no usable kubrick partition found".

Has anyone had this or is it me being stupid?
Oops - My first reply was based on your "running 5.3.something" =

But now I see "new KT" and "running 5.7.something" .

So the very first thing you need to do is identify what model your girlfriend actually has.
Find the device's serial number on the settings page, look at this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

The key I missed the first time was the **new KT** - Amazon has not sold **NEW** KT models for several years. All NEW Kindles are Touchscreen, but none are what we call a KT here.

= = = = =

Yes, other people have had the same trouble, but so far it has never been Kubrick's fault.
Did you follow the directions to put *both* required files on the USB stick?

While we are on the subject of following directions -
Why Kubrick?
Why not just follow the directions in the jailbreak thread for your model and firmware revision?
Hint:
Just above this top thread in the index, see that "prefix" box?
Select "K5" from the drop down, click the "show threads" button.

Ah, and keep it in airplane mode until you get this all sorted out.

Last edited by knc1; 09-10-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #824
Lee5150
Lee5150 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Quote:
Oops - My first reply was based on your "running 5.3.something" =

But now I see "new KT" and "running 5.7.something" .

So the very first thing you need to do is identify what model your girlfriend actually has.
Find the device's serial number on the settings page, look at this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

The key I missed the first time was the **new KT** - Amazon has not sold **NEW** KT models for several years. All NEW Kindles are Touchscreen, but none are what we call a KT here.

= = = = =

Yes, other people have had the same trouble, but so far it has never been Kubrick's fault.
Did you follow the directions to put *both* required files on the USB stick?

While we are on the subject of following directions -
Why Kubrick?
Why not just follow the directions in the jailbreak thread for your model and firmware revision?
Hint:
Just above this top thread in the index, see that "prefix" box?
Select "K5" from the drop down, click the "show threads" button.

Ah, and keep it in airplane mode until you get this all sorted out.
My apologies. The model is the Kindle Touch and the firmware version is 5.3.7.3.

The only reason I'm trying Kubrick is because I can't find any other info on jailbreaking a touch with 5.3.7.3 on it. Maybe I'm just rubbish at searching! I will do what you said with the dropdown menu etc.

Many thanks
Lee5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #825
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also see the sticky: Master Index (aka. Where Do I Start?).
You're not alone, lots of people seem to just glide right past that one...

It's there to provide a simple entry point into finding everything.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-10-2015 at 10:28 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote