Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #121
lissandro.sosa
lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm wondering if this is linked to the source you purchased the Kobo from. Is this the original firmware on the Kobo with no updates? There should be a file in the .kobo directory named affiliate.conf. On my Glo purchased at Chapters, the affiliate= line reads affiliate=KoboIndigo. Does you see a similar line in yours? If so, what does it read? Continuing on into the Kobo directory inside the .kobo directory, there is a file called Kobo eReader.conf. On my Glo, there is a section inside the file labelled [PowerOptions]. If that section exists on your Kobo, what text follows the [PowerOptions] down to the next [header]? On my Glo with sleep and power off set to never, I get the following:

[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=10
AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=0
FrontLightLevel=10

Regards,
David
After i make the changes in the previous post, i put this setting in Zero (0)

AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=0

and check my power options and this appear with the valor 60 because i dont have the option never
lissandro.sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #122
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
DNSB has posted a very useful file here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87.

I've used Sigil to add a little bit more to it, especially the word "officer" which a lot of fonts can't handle (the "ff" ligature is rendered as a blank). Please see attached file.
Hi ShellShock,
It is a good idea to test the fonts for ligature support. However, one has to put actually the code for the ligature into the file (ff for ff, or ffi for ffi).The device does not convert them automatically. I tried ffi, it is supported only by Georgia and the two Japanese fonts.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Font Tester - Ann Onymous.epub (4.0 KB, 304 views)
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #123
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Hi ShellShock,
It is a good idea to test the fonts for ligature support. However, one has to put actually the code for the ligature into the file (ff for ff, or ffi for ffi).The device does not convert them automatically. I tried ffi, it is supported only by Georgia and the two Japanese fonts.
Curiously when I tried Fontin, it would show blank for "ff" (two characters), which made me suspect that the Kobo is converting to ligatures on the fly.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #124
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Strange things are happening!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #125
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Curiously when I tried Fontin, it would show blank for "ff" (two characters), which made me suspect that the Kobo is converting to ligatures on the fly.
From what I remember seeing in discussions about ligatures in unicode font sets and why the fj ligature which is found in a couple of English loan words was not supported, the consensus was that ligatures should be supported in software and not in the font itself.

Using the example of officer, I don't find that much in the line of esthetic appeal from using the ff or ffi ligatures instead of f f i -- just noticed that my web browser is using ligatures for ff and ffi. The only two ligatures I really noticed in ebooks was in one book where the author used macron-AE and macron-OE characters in some character names. At that time I hadn't added any fonts on my Kobo so I saw either empty box tesk or box with question mark tesk for two of the character names which was more than a bit confusing when they were both in a scene.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #126
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
I'd already posted this in the 2.4.0. thread, but I'll reproduce here:

Bug: Bold still showing instead of Italics on some fonts, both system and side-loaded. Affected system fonts: Avenir, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Ryumin (italicised but also bold). Affected side-loaded fonts: Droid Serif, Lexia DaMa, Liberation Mono/Sans/Serif, Times New Roman...
As side-loaded font Century Gothic can be added, not showing as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
...Bug: Font size changing from readable to smallest setting.
Reproducible: Yes but appears randomly. I didn't see it for a few chapters making think this had been fixed. Had it appear two chapters in a row now....
In my experience it is not random. It occurs with side-loaded epubs, when a new chapter starts after waking up from sleep-mode.
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #127
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
In my experience it is not random. It occurs with side-loaded epubs, when a new chapter starts after waking up from sleep-mode.
Actually it is random, at least in my case. I just finished a 300+ page sideloaded book. This bug did not appear once in it. I started a new book, 2 chapters in I had this bug appear again but so far for only that chapter. The chapter that it appeared on was not a new chapter after a wake up but several pages after.

Last edited by Danger; 03-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
As side-loaded font Century Gothic can be added, not showing as it should.

Were the font files for Century Gothic named properly? If you copy the files from a Windows computer for example, you end up with GOTHIC.TTF, GOTHICB.TTF, GOTHICBI.TTF AND GOTHICI.TTF (regular, bold, bold-italic and italic). For use on the Kobo, you would need to rename the font files as follows:

Century Gothic-Regular.ttf
Century Gothic-Bold.ttf
Century Gothic-BoldItalic.ttf
Century Gothic-Italic.ttf

After I did this and copied the font files to the fonts directory on my Glo and power cycled it, the font styling showed up happily. As usual, YMMV.

As for the flyspeck font size, when I saw it was at the start of a new chapter but it did not require sleep or power off to trigger. It was all too common with 2.3.1 but I only saw it once with 2.3.2 and I haven't seen it since upgrading to 2.4.0 which is about 45 books ago.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	centgoth.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	102194  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-01-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: What else? My eyes can read so why can't my fingers type?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #129
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what I remember seeing in discussions about ligatures in unicode font sets and why the fj ligature which is found in a couple of English loan words was not supported, the consensus was that ligatures should be supported in software and not in the font itself.
Thanks - very interesting indeed! Fontin used to be my favourite font, until I ran into this ligature problem on the Kobo. In fact, after reading your post I have checked again and "officer" is being rendered as "o cer", i.e., it is using the ffi ligature and not ff as I initially thought (in the source epub there are no ligature characters). I may add the ffi ligature to Fontin to get around this problem. In fact Fontin is the only font I have found so far which has this problem, especially with the word "officer" (common enough in the military history fiction I tend to read).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #130
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks - very interesting indeed! Fontin used to be my favourite font, until I ran into this ligature problem on the Kobo. In fact, after reading your post I have checked again and "officer" is being rendered as "o cer", i.e., it is using the ffi ligature and not ff as I initially thought (in the source epub there are no ligature characters). I may add the ffi ligature to Fontin to get around this problem. In fact Fontin is the only font I have found so far which has this problem, especially with the word "officer" (common enough in the military history fiction I tend to read).
In one book I read, a major characters last name was ffolkstone. Of course, the ff ligature at the start of the name represents a capital F and there is no Ff or FF ligature to use in that spot but to some, it looked strange not to have a capital letter at the start of the name.

Also attached a copy of the modified font tester file as modified and sent back to me.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: epub Font Tester V2a - Ann Onymous.epub (5.0 KB, 339 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #131
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this bug: When I buy a book that is on my wishlist, once downloaded it shows the wrong file size in the library listing. I probably shouldn't let this worry me, the filesize is pretty much useless information anyway because it is often more a measure of the size of the cover than the length of the book, but there is a workaround.

I think the problem might be that when a book is added to the wishlist, a virtual book is created in the database which has a small filesize, just enough for the synopsis and other details. Then when I buy that book, the real book replaces the virtual book but the filesize is not updated in the database.

A workaround is either not to add books to my wishlist, or do the following:

1. Remove the book from the wishlist
2. Sync
3. Turn the device off then on (not sure if this step is always necessary).
4. Buy the book.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #132
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Since upgrading to 2.4.0, the bug of losing my bookmark and it's "dog ear" in the corner when exiting the book and returning is still there, but only when I have the margins set on anything but zero. As with 2.3.2 if leave the margins set at zero, it retains the bookmarks.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #133
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Since upgrading to 2.4.0, the bug of losing my bookmark and it's "dog ear" in the corner when exiting the book and returning is still there, but only when I have the margins set on anything but zero. As with 2.3.2 if leave the margins set at zero, it retains the bookmarks.
Really? I am sure some people reported that it was fixed. I know I haven't noticed it happening.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #134
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Really? I am sure some people reported that it was fixed. I know I haven't noticed it happening.
It happened to me today.

The bookmark remained in the annotations, it just wasn't displayed.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #135
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It happened to me today.

The bookmark remained in the annotations, it just wasn't displayed.
I should have been more clear. My bookmark wasn't actually lost, it just wasn't displayed, and it opened on the wrong page when I returned to the book.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote