Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Another new member - avid ebook reader

Just found the site today - been going through the forums, it's like finding a secret niche where I belong. I love to read, I love all things techie and I've been reading nearly 100% e-books for about 5 years now (that's how long I've had a fictionwise account). I have about 300 books from fictionwise on my e-bookshelf - mostly sci-fi. But, quite a bit of mainstream books - just found Stephen White and like his material - not great, but a decent read. In sci-fi, I like the hard tech stuff - classic Asimov, Benford, and the rest.

I am on a quest to find William Faulkner and Flannery O'Connor to download - want to read some classic southern authors since I live in the south now, but can't find any - suggestions?

I am reading on a motorola q - needed a convergence device since I kept forgetting to charge my cell-phone - I was reading on an HTC wizard but wanted a camera and didn't want to be an ATT. Prior device was an HP RX3115 - liked it too but no phone.

Well, I didn't realize that I would miss my touch screen, that I would get tired of such a small screen (at least I am not farsighted yet), and most of all, I am horribly peeved that I have a MS platform but MS didn't bother to make Microsoft Reader for it. So, I have a bunch of DRM books that I can't read now - and - DRM - the bane of my existence. I hate it in music; I hate it for books. I change devices pretty frequently and it's a pain to deal w/ trying to get the DRM books and music to work on my new device.

I'm reading all about the Kindle - I don't particularly like the idea of downloading via the air - wish it were cheaper and just used wi-fi. And, I've looked at the Sony device - but they're both too expensive. I used to be a bit flush w/ cash - but - we have 8 kids now and a tighter budget.

Anyway, long intro - sorry. Hoping to find a cheaper e-book reader (ok, pie in the sky isn't going to happen right now) - hoping to find some southern authors online - and hoping to figure out a way to get my MS reader drm books on my Q.

Oh, and I am probably going to pass my wizard or RX3115 on to my daughter - she's a voracious reader too - all things Redwall, Anne of Greene Gables, and the rest - so, I'm starting to look at what's available for her.

Michelle

mom of 8
website hosting and design

Last edited by mgrunk; 08-16-2008 at 09:19 PM.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
Just found the site today - been going through the forums, it's like finding a secret niche where I belong. I love to read, I love all things techie and I've been reading nearly 100% e-books for about 5 years now (that's how long I've had a fictionwise account). I have about 300 books from fictionwise on my e-bookshelf - mostly sci-fi. But, quite a bit of mainstream books - just found Stephen White and like his material - not great, but a decent read. In sci-fi, I like the hard tech stuff - classic Asimov, Benford, and the rest.

I am on a quest to find William Faulkner and Flannery O'Connor to download - want to read some classic southern authors since I live in the south now, but can't find any - suggestions

mom of 8
website hosting and design
Welcome to the site..Enjoy the forums. Once you buy an eink device you will never go back.

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi mgrunk and welcome to the Forum. I've been reading eBooks since I got my first iPaq back in '01. and hidari is right; once you get an eink device, you will not go back
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote