Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #166
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosw View Post
Just a heads up for anyone interested:

The rooting method for 1.4.1 (changing DNS to overwrite wifi_stop.sh & gain adb) won't work if you update to 1.5 - I've looked at the init.rc in the new update and they have changed the permissions in /init.rc to 555 so it can't be written.

Code:
   # Set WLAN Driver Status
    setprop wlan.driver.status ok
    chmod 0555 /etc/wifi_start.sh
    chmod 0555 /etc/wifi_stop.sh
And there are no other files that I can see that are 777.

So if you're already rooted on 1.4.x you might want to stay there for a bit.

Though I see from this thread some that have updated were able to keep their nookdev apps. So I wonder if we could use wifi locker to re-enable adb (at least long enough to modify /init.rc) after the update?

I have one of the new 1003 nooks but I don't have a mSD card so I can't test the softroots in this thread
I was wondering if maybe the other method works...

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_New_Hardware_No_Router

Can you try it?
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #167
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by glin View Post
Most other ereaders (Kindle, Sony, Bebook and many many other) are available in Europe via Internet, some even displayed in big books stores such as FNAC, why not Nook ???
I guess it was a business decition B&N made. amazon has european websites and probably ebooks amazon.de amazon.fr etc and so there's a business there. B&N doesnt. plus with ebooks there's regional license restrictions imposed by publishers.

If you had an ebook business that sold 0 ebooks in Russian and had a ereader that you have to pay $200 to make, but since everyone else sells them for $150 you have no choice but you to match that price, how much would you care to put that ereader on Russian market with -$50 profit on the device and $0 outlook in ebook sales?

I dont know how it is with sony or bebook, i dont know much about those devices and business models. sony looks like it may not be subsidized.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #168
jrosw
jrosw began at the beginning.

Device: Newer HW Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe View Post
I was wondering if maybe the other method works...

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_New_Hardware_No_Router

Can you try it?
It's the same method, it just uses software and a wifi card to do what the router would normally do (allow the nook to connect via wifi & modify the DNS) so it won't work either.
jrosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #169
Naerymdan
Naerymdan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-505
If you are stuck on unrooted 1.5 or on rooted 1.4.x, follow this turotial to get rooted 1.5 on new hardware:

http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan
Naerymdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #170
Kolfe
Enthusiast

Has anybody tried it?

It indicates that you should install the Launcher, ut i already have .RU Launcher.

Do you know if i can use it? I already have wifi loker installed...

So what i understand is you should only install version 1.5 over the 1.4.1 rooted nook?
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #171
jrosw
jrosw began at the beginning.

Device: Newer HW Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naerymdan View Post
If you are stuck on unrooted 1.5 or on rooted 1.4.x, follow this turotial to get rooted 1.5 on new hardware:

http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan
Yes, it does work Just tried it and I now have 1.5 with adb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe
Has anybody tried it?

It indicates that you should install the Launcher, ut i already have .RU Launcher.

Do you know if i can use it? I already have wifi loker installed...

So what i understand is you should only install version 1.5 over the 1.4.1 rooted nook?
No warranties, but as long as you have an alternate default home screen set up with a button to access wifi locker it should work. I haven't tried mynook.ru but the main idea is that you can get to wifi locker. AFAIK *which* home screen you choose shouldn't matter.

I don't know how to set mynook.ru as default, but with nooklauncher there was an option in the menu to set it. Maybe mynook.ru is similar.
jrosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #172
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have found that the time it takes for me to type is vastly improved. It lagged before and now it is almost as fast as my phone.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #173
punteruk
punteruk began at the beginning.

Device: nook rooted 1.5
1.5 root confirmed again

using the new instructions on NookDevs I can also confirm a 1.5 rooted with new hardware.
punteruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #174
Kolfe
Enthusiast

Can you help me explaining me this?

Hi,

I am about to upgrade to 1.5 but have some doubts about the last procedure posted by nookdevs.

I have a new hardware (1003XX) nook and fw 1.4.3 rooted.

I also have both launchers on my nook (mynook.ru & original B&N launcher) and wi-fi locker installed.

When I follow the procedure I can't install this piece of code (Which i don't understand) because i don't have nooklauncher :

Code :

<preferred-activities> <item name="com.nookdevs.launcher/.NookLauncher" match="100000" set="2"> <set name="com.bravo.home/.HomeActivity" /> <set name="com.nookdevs.launcher/.NookLauncher" /> <filter> <action name="android.intent.action.MAIN" /> <cat name="android.intent.category.HOME" /> <cat name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" /> </filter> </item> </preferred-activities>

What i have on packages.xml relating my launcher is the following :

<perms /> </package> <package name="ru.mynook.apn" codePath="/data/app/ru.mynook.apn.apk" system="false" ts="1290040943000" userId="10024"> <perms>

and

</perms> </package> <package name="ru.mynook.launcher" codePath="/data/app/ru.mynook.launcher.apk" system="false" ts="1288843918000" sharedUserId="1000"> <perms />

And they are before the preferred-pacakages section in packages.xml

My basic question is : Should I update without modifying packages.xml given the conditions mentioned at the beginning? (That i have dual launch with mynook.ru and wifi locker activated?)

The 1.5 fw upgrade will not delete my launcher?

Thanks for any tips on this!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #175
Naerymdan
Naerymdan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-505
It has been confirmed that mynook.ru also works for updating to 1.5. You do not need to change the packages.xml in your case, it already makes mynook.ru default.

That said, everything hinges on the update keeping the custom launcher, and if, for whatever reason it doesn't, being able to revert to 1.4.X by hard reset.

So far 2 people came out with not being able to go back to 1.4.X. If you are happy on 1.4.3 or absolutely need your Nook to be rooted right now, do not upgrade. Why take the chance?

If you do not really need to be rooted, can wait till a method to root 1.5 directly is available, really need the 1.5 features or trust that the reverting will bring you back to 1.4.X in case of a problem, then go ahead!

Last edited by Naerymdan; 11-29-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Naerymdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #176
tweaker
tweaker doesn't littertweaker doesn't litter

Device: nook
running 2.5.1
When using calibre, I cannot see the B&N Library books on my device.
I can only see the books I have loaded on to nook.

Also, how do I change the main menu on the nook? When I first rooted it, It gave me an option of the original menu or the nookLauncher. I kept choosing nookLauncher, and now I dont get the option to choose...
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #177
nphyx
Codeslinger
nphyx began at the beginning.

Hey just FYI for anyone interested, I have a 10030*, was softrooted on 1.4.1, it auto-upgraded to 1.5 at some point without me noticing. I used the factory default reset procedure (disconnect wifi, hold power button 12 seconds, release 1 second, repeat 6 times, start up). This caused my nook to revert to 1.0.0.

After that I just downloaded the 2.5.1 update, renamed bravo_update.dat, copied to the external SD Card, followed update procedure (power off, hold down right-side >, power on) and it installed and worked perfectly.

Your mileage may vary, but it saved me all the complicated trouble in the above instructions. Use at your own risk, and don't throw your brick at me if that's what you end up with.
nphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #178
GoodNovember
reenignE
GoodNovember began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (eInk)
[ignore]

Last edited by GoodNovember; 01-04-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: retracted statements
GoodNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #179
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Sooo there any easy instructions for rooting 1003 nooks yet?
1.4.3 rev
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #180
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have mixed feelings about shelves. On one hand, it's nice to finally have some organization on the Nook.

On the other, what were they thinking? That their customers have nothing better to do than type (hunt and peck) in a bunch of shelf names and move books to different shelves one by one, all on the device itself? And repeat the process every time they load periodicals (newspapers, magazines, feeds via Calibre) onto the device? Life is too short for this kind of time consuming process.

If only they would allow access to shelves via USB so we could manage this in Calibre using actual keyboards . . .
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote