Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #18376
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Just starting Krampus, The Yule Lord by fantasy artist Brom.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #18377
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm reading the graphic novel series Y: The Last Man, by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra. intriguing concept, good writing, lovely illustration.

plus, I also started Mortal Coils, by Aldous Huxley. just wanted something new to read and chose at random, but it's really gripping so far.

reading both on my Xperia with Comixology and Aldiko, respectively. yeah, it annoys me that my kindle doesn't fit my pocket and is not always with me...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #18378
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I recently finished Dalek I Loved You by Nick Griffiths. It's an autobiography of a British writer focused largely on his lifelong love of all things Doctor Who....
I just started that one. Looks interesting. The Doctor isn't as popular in the USA as he is overseas, but I've been fortunate to view some of the earliest episodes, although many have missing scenes and many scenes have missing video or audio, and other episodes are lost entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
...it annoys me that my kindle doesn't fit my pocket and is not always with me...
You don't need a smaller Kindle; just some bigger pockets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H3257-L45059743.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	116914  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #18379
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You don't need a smaller Kindle; just some bigger pockets.
I'll consult with my tailor

but I'm really waiting for that dual-screen LCD/e-ink phones they've been tempting us...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #18380
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just started that one. Looks interesting. The Doctor isn't as popular in the USA as he is overseas, but I've been fortunate to view some of the earliest episodes, although many have missing scenes and many scenes have missing video or audio, and other episodes are lost entirely.
I wasn't even aware of Dr. Who until my teenage granddaughters and their friends became obsessed. 90% of their Facebook posts involve Dr. Who, so perhaps the situation is changing.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #18381
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack. This book was fantastic, lots of action going on. My favourite Star Trek novel of the year. Unfortunately I don't have the next book in the Star Trek: The Fall series. I will have to wait until Christmas Day as I am expecting a Kobo gift card.

So I'm going to read C is For Corpse by Sue Grafton next in the meantime.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 12-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #18382
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Sovereign by C J Sansom. Henry VIII and Tudor York. Good stuff.
Good stuff indeed! An excellent historical mystery story. I'm looking forward to reading the next one, but I like these enough that I'm saving them rather than reading them back to back.

Now: 1636: Seas of Fortune by Iver P. Cooper. Another side-story set in the 1632 universe created by Eric Flint.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #18383
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Rereading the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #18384
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Well over halfway into it now and enjoying it quite a bit - enough so that unless it takes a deep nosedive in the end, I foresee sticking the next books onto my wishlist to wait for some Kobo coupons.
And I did, in fact, get the next two Johannes Cabal books with Kobo coupons. Not the absolute best book ever, but it definitely grew on me enough.

Decided to dip into my Google spreadsheet of books bought last year and picked one of the more expensive not-yet-read purchases from 2012 - Mob Rules, gangster-ish urban fantasy by Cameron Haley. It's... okay enough that I'll want to finish it and find out who did what, but I'm incredibly irritated by the overuse of certain words (using "juice" for "magic" - Kindle for PC search tells me it's used well over 500 times in the book - and "outfit" for "criminal organisation", which I haven't counted but is mentioned about once every two paragraphs, so both of those are really grating on my nerves now). Very unlikely I'll read more in that series.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #18385
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished "Mary Poppins" - to refresh my memory of the original book before going to see the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" tomorrow.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #18386
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Good stuff indeed! An excellent historical mystery story. I'm looking forward to reading the next one, but I like these enough that I'm saving them rather than reading them back to back.
My library has the C J Sansom series available in ebook. I added the first Dissolution to my TBR list. Thanks.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #18387
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I put some hours in and finished off The System of the World by Neal Stephenson yesterday. It's the first book I've finished in December, having started it at the end of November, and could easily have lasted me another day or two if I hadn't put the extra time in.

It's a big solid book; one of the last of my giant paperbacks. I believe Anathem is even longer, but I have that one as an ebook, so it isn't taking up space on my shelf. Anyway it was well-written, and enjoyable, but I'm kind of glad to see the back of it. Lots of messing about with money in 18th century London.

Next up, I've stayed in London and started Christianna Brand's London Particular, a golden age murder mystery I am enjoying a lot. A new author to me, but on the evidence so far, one who deserves to be better known. This is another paperback, a worn out old Penguin book I picked up at a charity shop. It's in such poor condition that I feel I need to wash my hands every time I pick it up.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #18388
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Next up, I've stayed in London and started Christianna Brand's London Particular, a golden age murder mystery I am enjoying a lot. A new author to me, but on the evidence so far, one who deserves to be better known. This is another paperback, a worn out old Penguin book I picked up at a charity shop. It's in such poor condition that I feel I need to wash my hands every time I pick it up.
During the Kobo $1.99 sale plus 50% off coupon a few weeks ago, I was feeling pretty darned smug about resisting, until I discovered all the golden age Christianna Brands and Ellery Queens! So much period goodness in these and I haven't read them in decades.

As an aside, Brand is also the author of the Nurse Matilda books, the source for the Nanny McPhee films.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #18389
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Alivia Anders' Illumine series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Earthly Delights just wasn't interesting me very much and since I was in the middle of a complete re-read of all the Nancy Drew mysteries and took a break from it back in July, I've decided to start it again where I left off, so I'm now reading The Witch Tree Symbol (Nancy Drew #33) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams).
Quote:
Hmmm...I don't seem to be in the mood for reading anything!!
Quote:
Ha! Found something that grabbed my interest! Dangerous Women, Edited by George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois. I had only read the Jim Butcher story, BOMBSHELLS and then put the rest aside for later. Well now seems to be later enough! It begins with a story by Joe Abercrombie, who I've never before read and I was immediately taken up with it and am enjoying it a lot!
I either read or skipped (after starting a story and finding it uninteresting to me) up to BOMBSHELLS in Dangerous Women, then took a break and started reading another Amazon freebie I just got called Illumine (Illumine #1) by Alivia Anders.

I believe I'll read or skip another couple of the Dangerous Women stories, then maybe take another break for another more substantial read and repeat this pattern till I've finally finished reading Dangerous Women.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #18390
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've just srated reading Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews and at only 2.5 chapters in, I am enjoying it already!! I love the concept of a young, but powerful innkeeper with a magical Bed and Breakfast (with its own consciousness) in her care. This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote