Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #31
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
Thank you. I Just put it on the Sony; going to read it tonight.
Thanks for reading

EDIT: And thanks to everyone for sparing some of your time and reading the story.

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-27-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #32
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Downloaded it, read it, and eager for more.

Not a happy topic, but the imagery was vivid and will stay with me, more than any news reports. Rorschach sands - even seeing a rorschach pattern where everyone sees only random destruction leaves me speechless. (my words, as usual, are weak. that's why we have you writers around)

Thanks again for sharing, and can I have some more, please, sir?
(Careful, the masses are getting greedy )
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #33
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Downloaded it, read it, and eager for more.

Not a happy topic, but the imagery was vivid and will stay with me, more than any news reports. Rorschach sands - even seeing a rorschach pattern where everyone sees only random destruction leaves me speechless. (my words, as usual, are weak. that's why we have you writers around)

Thanks again for sharing, and can I have some more, please, sir?
(Careful, the masses are getting greedy )

That's exactly where the story came from, a simple observation I think anybody might have made. I'd been watching the horrific news reports and a brilliant video investigation by Attack of the Show (which put the BBC and everyone else to shame) and I'd wanted to write something about how angry and powerless the whole thing made me feel. I just didn't have any way to do it. Then I saw the pictures on http://blogs.tampabay.com/photo/2010...ola-beach.html and I thought Rorschach test. Everything else just came from that one observation (I don't plot or plan or any of that kind of thing. When I do plan ahead, those plans fail spectacularly.)

There'll be a lot more now I'm in my groove again I have the Yves and Liseuse stories coming this week, Rainbirds should be up by next week (no concrete time yet) and I have three or four longer works coming together in bits and bobs now - I'm currently obsessed with mermaids, Costa Rican ground coffee and a jukebox that plays exactly the song that fits your mood, but is in no way magical.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #34
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Fresh ways to look at the same old things: that's what I most appreciate about literature, and art in general. Being able to see known things and experiences in a new light every time - what an amazing gift.

The jukebox that plays exactly the song that fits your mood sounds... magical. (as in, not related to magic, but...erm I hope you know what I mean). It would make a perfect story. In fact, I would like one for myself.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #35
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
A nice piece of proletarian writing. It reminds me a bit of Steinbeck with an atmosphere Bradbury. However I live in Florida, so some of the dialogue didn't ring true for me. I would love to read this piece if with a setting was The North Sea.
There's a reason Steinbeck wrote about Salinas County. It's the same reason Vonnegut wrote mostly about Central New York State and Indiana. Carl Hiaasen sticks mostly to Florida.

Thanks for the story.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #36
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
A nice piece of proletarian writing. It reminds me a bit of Steinbeck with an atmosphere Bradbury. However I live in Florida, so some of the dialogue didn't ring true for me. I would love to read this piece if with a setting was The North Sea.
There's a reason Steinbeck wrote about Salinas County. It's the same reason Vonnegut wrote mostly about Central New York State and Indiana. Carl Hiaasen sticks mostly to Florida.

Thanks for the story.
Thanks for the review. Although it's not actually set anywhere in the real world (I very rarely write about the real world, at least the real world that is identified by names and places). 'You' set it in Florida.

As a point of interest, the white sandy beaches I'm describing are actually Spanish. In my imagination this story takes place in an amalgam of Southport/Blackpool/Lloret De Mar and Cypress (Aya Napa and Limassol). I am not by any stretch of yours or my imagination, a realist.

EDIT: And you've just listed all my favourite writers, which is uncanny (apart from Hiassan, who I've read, but not a favourite). Maybe there is something to this being influenced malarky

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-28-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #37
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Thanks for the review. Although it's not actually set anywhere in the real world (I very rarely write about the real world, at least the real world that is identified by names and places). 'You' set it in Florida.

As a point of interest, the white sandy beaches I'm describing are actually Spanish. In my imagination this story takes place in an amalgam of Southport/Blackpool/Lloret De Mar and Cypress (Aya Napa and Limassol). I am not by any stretch of yours or my imagination, a realist.

EDIT: And you've just listed all my favourite writers, which is uncanny (apart from Hiassan, who I've read, but not a favourite). Maybe there is something to this being influenced malarky
It is the just the teacher in me that would have you do it over. I do it to everybody. Yet, I know that I myself am not a good writer.
I was thinking of starting a thread on proletariat writing. One such writer, Karen Maitland, who wrote Company of Liars and The Owl Killers has really made an impression on me. Imagine a medieval thriller without a noble or clergyman mentioned.
Anyway, back to oil spills and passion. Heres a recent piece by Carl Hiaasen:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/2...e-becomes.html
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #38
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
It is the just the teacher in me that would have you do it over. I do it to everybody. Yet, I know that I myself am not a good writer.
I was thinking of starting a thread on proletariat writing. One such writer, Karen Maitland, who wrote Company of Liars and The Owl Killers has really made an impression on me. Imagine a medieval thriller without a noble or clergyman mentioned.
Anyway, back to oil spills and passion. Heres a recent piece by Carl Hiaasen:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/2...e-becomes.html
Ahh the teacher's curse is it? I feel your pain, I'm an ex-teacher myself. You should start up a thread on proletariat writing, I'd be very interested in a discussion on that topic and to learn some more about the classification. I've bookmarked the Hiassan piece for later on, along with my other non-fiction dailies.

On a separate note, and because Feedbooks is cooler than the Fonz, check out the cool statistical thingy-me-bob you get access to when you publish on there.

Go ePub, ra ra ra!!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #39
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Post deleted * * *

Last edited by GeoffC; 07-01-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Post related to possible spam ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #40
omk3
Wizard

Looks extremely spam-ish to me - and the phrase is what I said in a previous post in this thread, word for word:

Quote:

Great news, a good story to lift the spirits after the game. The timing is perfect
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #41
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Looks extremely spam-ish to me - and the phrase is what I said in a previous post in this thread, word for word:
Okay, my thought too - so I've flagged it ..... Cheers for the second opinion ...
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #42
omk3
Wizard

By they way, Moejoe, how about the real Yves and Liseuse stories?
Just asking, no pressure
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #43
GeoffC

Quote:
Just asking, no pressure

don't give him ideas .... :nudge:
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #44
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Just asking, no pressure
They're coming this weekend, I got distracted writing a story about D. Boon and then watching a documentary on the Minutemen (the great band, not the fascist nutballs who 'protect' the US border with Mexico). And then I started two stories about Captain Beefheart but they went nowehere, and both ended in the desert but did not end... in any case...soon, very soon
Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #45
Moejoe
Banned

Okay, did I miss something? Was there a post or something about a single mom? I feel like K.