Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Free classics on Borders app?

When I try loading them, all but the table of contents appear as ASCII characters. Loading the same books on the Kobo app doesn't yield the same problem. (I wanted to try reading on the Borders app, to see whether there are better features.) Anyone else encounter this? (I can read all my previously loaded Kobo books -- including free classics -- on the Borders app without problem.)

If you've otherwise tried the Borders app, are there any advantages or great features?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
When I try loading them, all but the table of contents appear as ASCII characters. Loading the same books on the Kobo app doesn't yield the same problem. (I wanted to try reading on the Borders app, to see whether there are better features.) Anyone else encounter this? (I can read all my previously loaded Kobo books -- including free classics -- on the Borders app without problem.)

If you've otherwise tried the Borders app, are there any advantages or great features?
Maggie,

They all open and read okay for me. In terms of features, I like the "I'm Reading" tab that keeps track of books in progress. Other than that, I don't find anything that noteworthy, either good or bad.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Maggie,

They all open and read okay for me. In terms of features, I like the "I'm Reading" tab that keeps track of books in progress. Other than that, I don't find anything that noteworthy, either good or bad.
Thanks, Batman. If that's about the only feature advantage, I will skip using the Borders app.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I installed the Borders app, looked at it .... then realized I would never really use it, and deleted it. I have iBooks, Stanza, Kindle, Kobo and Goodreader apps..... I really don't need another one... plus 95% of my reading is on Stanza and iBooks......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I installed the Borders app, looked at it .... then realized I would never really use it, and deleted it. I have iBooks, Stanza, Kindle, Kobo and Goodreader apps..... I really don't need another one... plus 95% of my reading is on Stanza and iBooks......
Yup, I have plenty of reading apps. Using the Stanza and Kindle apps mostly. Keeping an eye on what emerges, though. I'm especially interested in a non-iBooks one that supports offline dictionary use, to save battery life and for in-flight use.
Advert