Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
I have mine in hand! It was just delivered. Too bad that I'm at work and can't actually crack it open and get going with the setup/book transferring - that will have to wait.
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Hi all!

I really like the Kobo app on my iphone although it does not have highlighting & notation as yet. My concern is that this is a new site and one must worry about what would happen if it fails to compete with the established AMAZON, SONY and B&N competition? Would our book purchases suddenly vanish from our readers/computers?

The other question I have for those of you trying out the reader is the bluetooth hookup. My cell service charges extra per month if you use your cell phone as a modem for another device, so does the reader count as an extra device or does it use the cell's internet connection directly via BT? I would prefer wifi & hope they add wifi to the American version (am I dreaming?).

Pei
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Hi all!

I really like the Kobo app on my iphone although it does not have highlighting & notation as yet. My concern is that this is a new site and one must worry about what would happen if it fails to compete with the established AMAZON, SONY and B&N competition? Would our book purchases suddenly vanish from our readers/computers?
Hi Peitsao,
We understand that concern, and though I know Kobo will be around for a very long time, we offer the ability to download Adobe DRM books from us that are independent of our service - if we were to ever close shop (perish the thought!) you could still use those books.

Our next versions of our iPhone all will be completely independent of our service as well, and will continue to work without support for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post

The other question I have for those of you trying out the reader is the bluetooth hookup. My cell service charges extra per month if you use your cell phone as a modem for another device, so does the reader count as an extra device or does it use the cell's internet connection directly via BT? I would prefer wifi & hope they add wifi to the American version (am I dreaming?).

Pei
The Bluetooth synching doesn't work by having the device talk to the server directly - it talks to the Kobo app on your smartphone, which has already downloaded your content. It never uses the device as a modem or incurs any more charge than just using your device to download the book locally.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBong View Post
yup. 150 for a 6 inch screen. Plus it looks real nice.
And it feels nice too. But I'm biased
Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, working on it. It should be announced very soon now.

BOb
Thanks - that's very exciting!
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryF View Post
I have mine in hand! It was just delivered. Too bad that I'm at work and can't actually crack it open and get going with the setup/book transferring - that will have to wait.
You could read one of the 100 free books that comes with it!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #22
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Just came back from my local Coles. Although they have it in stock, they will not sell the Kobo until tomorrow
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am heading out tomorrow morning to pick one up at the local Chapters.. I can hardly wait.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It's funny, I've been thinking for a long time about getting an Ereader but price always held me back. Did some research today and found out about the Kobo ... even better Canada gets it before everyone else! (That's a FIRST)

Called up my local Chapters and they have it in stock ready for purchase tomorrow so I guess I'll be getting my first Ereader!
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
It looks like mines out for delivery today! Guess ill have to rush home to get the sheet they leave then rush to the post office before it closes
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #26
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know how it handles PDF's. Can you flip the screen to horizontal to view them?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #27
conchuot
conchuot began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryF View Post
Please post a short review if you can.
conchuot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Does anyone know how it handles PDF's. Can you flip the screen to horizontal to view them?
Hi Trasher,
The Kobo Reader can display PDFs, but we currently don't support rotation on the device. You can pan and zoom around, but there is no support for changing the orientation yet.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #29
Thrasher
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchuot View Post
Please post a short review if you can.
+1
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #30
Thrasher
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Hi Trasher,
The Kobo Reader can display PDFs, but we currently don't support rotation on the device. You can pan and zoom around, but there is no support for changing the orientation yet.

Pan and zoom sounds great. Does it maintain the zoom ration after you flip a page?
Can we expect frequent firmware updates?

Tags
kobo