Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Wink New Iliad

Hi all,

I just got my new iliad2 in the mail yesterday. I love the sharp quality and the way some graphic pdfs look on it. However, I can't connect it to the internet for the latest software. I'm using parallels on a macbook with an airport connection DSL and it just doesn't like it!

There is no transparent way to put the new updated software on the device without a connection. And yet, there must be a way because the book version of the iliad must have access to updates. I'm confused.

Also, I've tried using mobipocket to put books on the device with a usb connection. It seems to work but all the mobi books have A big X through the icon and won't open. I've never used mobipocket before, so this could be a result of ignorance on my part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far, I've only been able to look at PDFs and Htmls with a thumb drive. The mobi isn't doing it for me and the companion software seems to do nothing. (I'm not sure if the folder is for things I want to put on the iliad or for the backups.)

Anyway, except for the pdf function which IS great, I'm almost wishing I'd gotten a Kindle instead since their connection is supposed to go pretty smoothly.

Any ideas for me. Please remember, I'm pretty non-savvy computerwise. I can type and that's about it.

Thank you,

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
Hi all,

I just got my new iliad2 in the mail yesterday. I love the sharp quality and the way some graphic pdfs look on it. However, I can't connect it to the internet for the latest software. I'm using parallels on a macbook with an airport connection DSL and it just doesn't like it!
I don't know what the problem is, but what software version do you have now? Most new iLiads should be shipped with 2.12 installed, which is the latest version.

Quote:
There is no transparent way to put the new updated software on the device without a connection. And yet, there must be a way because the book version of the iliad must have access to updates. I'm confused.
No, but it'd be really nice if there was. The book edition doesn't come with wifi, but it DOES come with a wired network connection. That's how it updates the software.

Quote:
Also, I've tried using mobipocket to put books on the device with a usb connection. It seems to work but all the mobi books have A big X through the icon and won't open. I've never used mobipocket before, so this could be a result of ignorance on my part.
I assume these are mobipocket books that you've purchased, and probably contain DRM (digital rights). I think you need to get the mobipocket PID for your iLiad and enter it into your account at the store you're buying books from (just like you probably had to enter the PID for your Mac). That way the iLiad should be able to unlock protected books. Once you've registered the iLiad with your mobipocket desktop as a new device, you should be able to click "Properties" on the new device and it'll show you what the PID for it is.

I could be wrong on that though. It might be that the mobipocket on your desktop is supposed to "unlock" the file for you when you tell it to "send to" your iLiad device. I've always registered the iLiad's PID with the online ebook store though, which works. In that case, I don't even need to use mobipocket on my desktop. I can just download the book and transfer it by hand over USB directly to the iLiad.

I'm also not sure if using a Mac instead of a PC has any impact. It might work slightly differently, I'm not sure.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #3
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
welcome sherry,
as shaggy said, the way forward is using wired network.

on the mac, i dont bother using the PC companion software at all, and i dont loose much.
i simply connect the iLiad directly to the network router.

imho, i think using parallels might cause more problems than it solves...

if you have already, you might want to have a look on this forum, theres quite a few threads about using the iliad with the mac.

andys comment here, about sharing a folder is how i used to do it
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24801

but as others say, osx will also mount it via USB, note.... in system settings on iliad you say if you want to 'expose' the CF or internal memory.

Last edited by thetechnobear; 07-17-2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: added link
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Thank you guys for your suggestions! I got the connection working with my husband's help. I'm not sure if this is why, but it seems that the (correct) WPA and password wireless info only got me connected after I set the network profile default under network settings to match the new profile I was testing after pressing the internet connect button. (I had changed them to computer wired connection when I couldn't get it to recognize my connection--there it turned out I had WEP instead of WPA.)

So now I have latest software. (It was 2.11 from the box.) Very happy about that.

I'm still working on the Mobi. It's complicated by the parallels setup. Most usb devices just automatically connect with the parallels if it's open. The Iliad sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. I may just follow the suggestion to use the Mac system to manage the device.

Anyway, I'm happy to have latest software.

Thanks again, very much.

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote