Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
nook user
nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Problem with NST

Hello, people
Iam a quite fresh user of a Nook Simple Touch device.
But immediately met a problem.
Curious if anybody here has got the same issue.
By default NST supports 32 GB sd cards.
I had at hands 64GB one and plugged it in the card slot of my Nook. The device was shut down.After pushing the start button it appears something strange..
The device re-started 3-4 times, afterthat touchscreen froze unresponsive, all hardware buttons didn't work either!
The device was in absolute coma!
It awakens after connection thru USB cable with PC

Someone of you with exact the same problem ?
Or probably its a normal behaviour of the device...i am still wondering ?:

Last edited by nook user; 12-17-2014 at 05:52 AM.
nook user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
First of all, try removing the unsupported card and see if the Nook boots normally.

Second (after removing the unsupported card) try holding the power/sleep button for 15-30 seconds to see if the unit will reboot properly.

See how that goes. Maybe check back with us after trying these basics for further assistance.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
nook user
nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.

Thanks for your insert in the topic.
After removing the sd card, i would say, that it works normally.
But now i have another question
Battery was charged up to 100%.
After reading about 50 pages of a book, it drops till 97 %
Iam not quite sure its a normal behaviour ??

Another one - what is better, to turn off the device when i stop to read or leaving it in stand-by mode ?
What's your opinion ?
I have some suspicions about battery, its a second hand-device, that's why i want to save the battery as much as i can....
Old 12-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that it is second hand and it could be quite old, it's very possible that the battery is not all that good any longer.

My suggestion is to replace the battery. Here is a link to a very good site to order the battery. They give you the tools you need and they also have an instructional video on how to replace the battery.

http://www.newpower99.com/B_N_NOOK_S...mple-touch.htm
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
nook user

The firmware of the device is 1.2.1 and iam almost sure it hasn't been updated after purchase...In other words 1.2.1 is its original firmware.
Don't know when it has been released...
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Battery was charged up to 100%.
After reading about 50 pages of a book, it drops till 97 %
Are you saying that the charge dropped from 100 to 97%, or from 100 to 3%. If the first, that sounds normal to me. If the second, you need a new battery.

Quote:
Another one - what is better, to turn off the device when i stop to read or leaving it in stand-by mode ?
I would just leave it in stand-by, unless you're not going to be using it again for several days or more. I normally read every day, and, although I've never tried to measure this, I expect the battery drain of booting the reader up every day would more than offset the minor drain of leaving it on stand-by.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like the way the Sony Reader T series handled sleep mode. If after 2 days you have not used it, the Reader shuts off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
kalwisti
Enthusiast
kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook user View Post
The firmware of the device is 1.2.1 and iam almost sure it hasn't been updated after purchase...In other words 1.2.1 is its original firmware.
Hi, nook user,

To the best of my knowledge, Software ver. 1.2.1 is the final (last) version for the Nook Simple Touch (model # BNRV300). If I'm wrong, I hope that one of the experts will correct me ...

< Edit: I double-checked by going to B&N's Nook Support website. The only software update listed is ver. 1.2.1:

http://tinyurl.com/7gqcqm5
"Nook Simple Touch : Software Updates.'' >

I purchased my Nook ST around Nov. 2011, and can only recall one software update during the time I've had the unit. (There is a brick-and-mortar B&N store nearby, and because we only recently set up WiFi at home, I'd occasionally go to B&N to use their in-store WiFi. During one of those sessions, the unit was updated when I connected to the in-store network ... I don't remember the exact date, or how much prompting the reader gave me before being updated).

As for your observation about the battery life, that also sounds normal to me. Your battery will last longer if you leave the WiFi disabled, obviously. (I rarely use the WiFi on my unit, as I seldom purchase books from B&N's online store. 99% of my eBooks are sideloaded from Project Gutenberg).

Last edited by kalwisti; 12-18-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added link to B&N's Nook Support website.
kalwisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
nook user

Another observation from today :
After 18 hours in stand-by mode the battery drains with 2%
from 97 to 95 % ....
The Wi-Fi is disabled from the beginning
Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
from 97 to 95 % ....
Everything sounds fairly normal to me. For a while I had trouble with my NST draining its battery too fast. I think I was told to not hit the off switch -- in the back. Just let it time out. That seemed to help, but I also deleted my most recent side loaded book and that fixed the problem. But, honestly, I don't think you have much of a problem. Even after a month you've still got 60% of your battery at this rate -- that's 2% drainage per 18 hour period.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:48 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
1.2.1 is the newest firmware. I doubt that will be ever updated again.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Hello, people
Iam a quite fresh user of a Nook Simple Touch device.
But immediately met a problem.
Curious if anybody here has got the same issue.
By default NST supports 32 GB sd cards.
I had at hands 64GB one and plugged it in the card slot of my Nook. The device was shut down.After pushing the start button it appears something strange..
Quote:
After removing the sd card, i would say, that it works normally.
I'd suggest that you try format your 64GB card using the 3rd-party utility fat32format available at http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm, and see if the NST would take the 64GB card.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
from 97 to 95 % ....
That doesn't sound particularly abnormal to me.

With the Nook Simple Touch, depending on how much you read, you should only have to recharge it about once a week, or every two weeks. That is how often I had to charge mine that I bought a year or two ago. If you use it for awhile and you are in that range somwhere, it is probably holding a charge relatively well. You would only need to be concerned with the battery life if you were reading the Nook for an hour or two every day and you had to recharge it every 2-3 days or so.

Companies like to brag about the potential battery life of e-ink based reading devices but they usually base the battery life on stupid numbers like an average of reading 30 minutes per day. Of the people I know who own dedicated e-reading devices like the Kindle and the Nook... almost none of them read for a mere 30 minutes per day.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
nook user

Ok, people
After reading about 110 pages of a book and around 3 days in stand-by mode , the battery stood at 90-91%, which i would say is pretty well for a 2nd. hand-device ?

Now i have another problem
I have rooted my Nook. But now i need to put a cwm-recovery in order to install a few software readers and other progs (as .apk files). As i said before the firmware on my device is 1.2.1. On xda forums there is a topic about cwm-recovery for ver. 1.1 and iam not sure if it will work with my device...
Any other ways to install .apk files without using recovery application ?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
I have rooted my Nook. But now i need to put a cwm-recovery in order to install a few software readers and other progs (as .apk files). As i said before the firmware on my device is 1.2.1. On xda forums there is a topic about cwm-recovery for ver. 1.1 and iam not sure if it will work with my device...
Any other ways to install .apk files without using recovery application?
I'd suggest you try to download and (using a file-manager app such as ES-File-Explorer) copy the app's .apk file to the folder /system/app. Also, you'd need to enable "Allow Non-Market Apps" (in the Nook-Color-Tools' option menu).

Last edited by livramax; 12-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote