Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Recipes: Give Me Something to Read, Let's Get Critical

http://www.letsgetcritical.org

http://givemesomethingtoread.com

These are curate / aggregate sites. The built-in feed reader will work. However, the rss only gives you 15 articles or so. These recipes use screen scraping to pull down a whole bunch -- good if you are new to the sites and want to get some older articles. You can also pick out which categories you want.

Happy thanksgiving Many thanks to Kovid and all the contributors.

PS: for some reason, timefmt doesn't seem to do anything.
Attached Files
File Type: zip letsgetcritical-givemesomethingtoread.zip (2.7 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Barty; 11-28-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are using the recipes for Kindle, timefmt is ignored as the kindle displays the publication date anyway, so there is no need to put it into the title.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
learning2
learning2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I Give me Something to Read is an awesome feed, but many of the articles from this recipe are not working for me on the nook. Many articles from Slate, Wired, Vanity Fair, Esquire and others have the beginning, but not the whole article. (Just when you get hooked, you turn the page and the next paragraph is missing.) Articles from New York magazine are just a page that says "Building print version of this article."

This must be a really hard feed to build a recipe for, since the articles come from so many different websites. I appreciate the work that must have gone into what you have so far.
learning2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
alas, no. I didn't do much besides using auto_cleanup = True and relying on calibre to do the heavy lifting. Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well as you noted. It would help if the editors of the site went through the trouble of at least linking to the print version, but they don't.

I guess when/if I feel industrious I could at least hand code the print version for a few sites ...
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote