Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
New Calibre makes PC run too slowly

I use Calibre a couple of times a day, I really love it! But when I upgraded from v .16 to v .20 I found it chews up all my virtual memory and makes my computer run ver........ry slowly. After doing about 4 or 5 tasks (removing books from the library, editing metadata etc) it comes to a halt and slows my computer right down. It takes me a good 5 minutes to quit and restart Calibre, which then runs fine.....for about 4 or 5 tasks.

Also I can no longer have Firefox open at the same time as Calibre, it seems to take up too much virtual memory now to allow me to use two big programs at once.

Presumably buying a big, fast computer would solve the problem....I'll have to write Santa a hopeful letter. But in case I have been too naughty this year, is there anything I can do to pimp the program so it runs at reasonable speed on the PC I've got?
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have not found the .20 version to be any slower than previous ones. I suspect it is something else that is causing your slowdown.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I must admit that I also found that my PC is much more slowly with Calibre running in the background. I find myself closing it completely before doing anything else on the PC.

I will look at the memory usage next time. Maybe a memory leak somewhere?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have posted in a number of threads here the batch file I use to run Calibre that runs it at lower than normal priority to help keep foregound apps responsive.

It does make a big difference to perceived system responsiveness on a single processor single-core system, and does not appear to impact calibre itself much at all.
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (2.5 KB, 288 views)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
rainbowworrier
Frazzled

Thank you for the batch file!

Which directory should it be run from or doesn't it matter?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

It can be run from wherever you like.

You may need to edit it to suit your disk layout/directory structure. The comments should make it clear how it all works.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Shouldn't that read "PC makes new calibre run too slowly"?
Seriously, though, it sounds like your machine could use more memory. How much do you have?
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have 4Gb memory, so that should not be a problem...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Several older version of Calibre also gave me the same problem "some times", even I set all the Calibre processes priority to low. I still cannot conclude which scenario have caused the problem. But when my notebook became ve....ry...slow (dual core 1.6ghz, 1.5gb mem), I always found some "Calibre-parallel" process was enjoying eating up my NB memory, sometimes upto 1gb. It does not happen everytime I ran Calibre.

So far so good with .20, fingers crossed!
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
rainbowworrier
Frazzled

Mmm....I almost certainly need more memory. I have 1Gb RAM which sounds pretty antiquated these days. It may not even be Calibre that's provoked the problem, maybe Firefox has got more memory hungry lately.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

My system has 2GB and that seems OK (I am not running Vista). However looking at Task Manager I regularily exceed a commit charge of 1GB which suggest that if I only had 1GB I would be getting into having Windows paging in progress (which clobbers performance). To get good performance it is a good idea if your physical RAM exceeds the commit value.