Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Battery Usage Issues

Everything was going great, then the Samsung Galaxy Player 5 started really running through the battery. Used to last a week and now I am lucky if it is 3 days - with almost no use (occasional wifi,no gps, no bt - all off).

I have deleted "Words with Friends" and the weather widget as they were always running when I connected to WiFi. I am planning to just go through the apps and delete all but the dozen or so I actually use. I went a bit over-board with downloading since I was concerned that I'd be blocked when I returned to Europe. But no problems whatsoever, and all the apps are backed up. I could uninstall the "extras" for now.

I was wondering if there is some way to see which apps are using (have used?) memory? Nothing seems to be running, according to the Task manager and settings/apps mgr except Avast anti-visus - but that has been running for a month now without heavy battery impact.

Appreciate all suggestions. I probably just should "clean house" and run it leaner. No major problem with re-charging every few days - but I tend to forget about it and then it is drained when I need it
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
letac
letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'letac gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I was wondering if there is some way to see which apps are using (have used?) memory?
Try BetterBatteryStats:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erbatterystats

Its little bit complicated for use, read help first.
letac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
if you are using android device you should try using app killer application it will be of great help and will also tell you about the memory usage of each app
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I'll try the BetterBattery Stats. I have an app killer pgm but they seem to turn on again.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
rgeorg
Guru

I found an app by "Root Uninstaller Team" and followed a link to their website where they give hints to extend battery life.

1. Go to Settings->About Device-> Battery Use
This shows the major battery using apps. I was surprised at an app which I never use was running continuously! Uninstalled it.
2. Turn off haptic (vibrate) feedback. I then also turned off sounds, as they annoy me. I didn't realize that the vibrate used alot of battery.
---they have lots more, basically about 3G, BT, wireless use and info for phone users that really didn't apply to my device/use.

Also in Settings->Accounts and Sync, I turned off "Background Data" so that apps don't continuously sync in the background. It has to be turned back on for some apps to work again.

I bought (all of $2.98) the Better BatteryStats app and also got the Battery Stats app to see which I prefer. I also picked up (free) a RAM Booster app, also by "Root Uninstaller Team" that is highly rated and that I hope will optimize my (only) 512MB of memory in the SGP5.

So, the net is that I deleted 1 app and added 3 more! Typical.

Last edited by rgeorg; 03-08-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Insert link
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
GSam Battery Monitor is user friendly and gives a lot of battery consumption information.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
GSam Battery Monitor is user friendly and gives a lot of battery consumption information.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm
This is what I use along with the task manager that comes with the SGP5. It sounds to me that maybe a updated app may be the cause. Some apps update on their own. Make sure in Google Play that you don't have this option on. The other option is a app corrupted or gone rogue. Sometimes you can figure it out and sometimes you can't.

You can always do a factory reset and start over. Sometimes I find this is best when there are too many apps to figure out.

My phone has been acting this way and then out of blue it stopped. It's a mystery because I changed nothing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
rgeorg
Guru

Yes, I think it was actually the rogue-type app thing that you mention. The built-in task manager listed it. Didn't really need anything else. Everything is great now, back to minimal battery discharge.
I still ought to clean up the apps. Plus I have a 32 GB disk to load with media and use to replace the 8gb that is currently in place.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I think it was actually the rogue-type app thing that you mention. The built-in task manager listed it. Didn't really need anything else. Everything is great now, back to minimal battery discharge.
I still ought to clean up the apps. Plus I have a 32 GB disk to load with media and use to replace the 8gb that is currently in place.
One rogue app I know of is Slacker Radio. It never closes correctly so I know if I use it to force close when done so it doesn't drain the battery.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I have an app killer pgm but they seem to turn on again.
App killers are counter-productive, they're likely to cause more harm than good. Android manages apps, you don't need another app to do it. When your killer kills and app, it may load again by itself (so you waste battery killing it and starting it). Even if it doesn't auto start, when you launch it again it has to reload its state from disk, as opposed to from memory. Rule of thumb, don't mess with Android's app manager, let it do its job.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
App killers are counter-productive, they're likely to cause more harm than good. Android manages apps, you don't need another app to do it. When your killer kills and app, it may load again by itself (so you waste battery killing it and starting it). Even if it doesn't auto start, when you launch it again it has to reload its state from disk, as opposed to from memory. Rule of thumb, don't mess with Android's app manager, let it do its job.
The SGP5 comes with a built in Task manager/killer by Samsung. It works well. You do have to close some apps that will stay in memory. Unlike other Android devices that seem to manager this okay this device doesn't you have to keep a close eye on what's running and what needs to be killed because it's suddenly taking up 50% of more of your cpu and the device will come to stand still if you don't. The Kindle app is one that does this alot. Another is the built the browser which I don't use because of it.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Unlike other Android devices that seem to manager this okay this device doesn't you have to keep a close eye on what's running and what needs to be killed because it's suddenly taking up 50% of more of your cpu and the device will come to stand still if you don't.
That seems very inconvenient.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
That seems very inconvenient.
I just put a shortcut to task manger on my home screen then I click and check before I put the player to sleep to make sure nothing is running other than background apps. It really is a nifty app. Unlike other tasks manager this one really does only show the ones running in the foreground.

Facebook is another app you must watch.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Unlike other Android devices that seem to manager this okay this device doesn't you have to keep a close eye on what's running and what needs to be killed because it's suddenly taking up 50% of more of your cpu and the device will come to stand still if you don't. The Kindle app is one that does this alot. Another is the built the browser which I don't use because of it.
I'm sceptical. The problem is not with "Samsung not managing the apps" - that's done by the Android Framework and Samsung are very unlikely to alter that. If an app eats CPU all the time, it will do so on a Samsung device or any other Android device. Android has what's call "wake locks"; while an app holds a wake lock the device will not suspend (enter deep sleep mode); a misbehaved app could hold and not release a wake lock, causing quick battery drain. Such an app would misbehave on any Android device, the app manager built into Android does not kill apps based on how much CPU they use, but based on how many resources (memory) are available; background apps will be killed to make room for foreground ones.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I'm sceptical. The problem is not with "Samsung not managing the apps" - that's done by the Android Framework and Samsung are very unlikely to alter that. If an app eats CPU all the time, it will do so on a Samsung device or any other Android device. Android has what's call "wake locks"; while an app holds a wake lock the device will not suspend (enter deep sleep mode); a misbehaved app could hold and not release a wake lock, causing quick battery drain. Such an app would misbehave on any Android device, the app manager built into Android does not kill apps based on how much CPU they use, but based on how many resources (memory) are available; background apps will be killed to make room for foreground ones.

That's just it. These apps become unresponsive on the player not on other devices. I have these apps on my phone with no issues but they just bring the device to a stand still till they are close. It's not the apps it's the device. It just can't handle these apps made for newer tablets. Apps do not close properly on the SGP5 that is what I suspect is the issue. They get stuck and stay there and can drain the battery if you don't catch it.

Some apps that get stuck on the Player are Kindle, Slacker, Browser and Facebook. It doesn't happen all the time just randomly except for Slacker which does it every time. It suits my needs but doesn't handle alot of open apps well but if you careful to close them and keep watch what is running you can keep the player working okay.