yep 17 35.42%
nope 1 2.08%
who? 27 56.25%
option 4 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I voted nope although I have only read one so maybe not fair.
Generally I like hard boiled but not that one. I will probably try another one of these days.

On a side note, Max Allan Collins modeled a series(2?) on the Parker character with Donald Westlake's permission. Nolan and Quarry.

I like Quarry quite a bit, but have been unable to find any Nolan except as pbooks. maybe I will get crazy and order a pbook.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I voted nope although I have only read one so maybe not fair.
Generally I like hard boiled but not that one. I will probably try another one of these days.

On a side note, Max Allan Collins modeled a series(2?) on the Parker character with Donald Westlake's permission. Nolan and Quarry.

I like Quarry quite a bit, but have been unable to find any Nolan except as pbooks. maybe I will get crazy and order a pbook.

Helen
Looks like it's available in the Sony store?
Also they have a 25% off coupon this weekend and I think this title qualifies coupon - 25OFFRAA0303
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/max...00000000529705
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Looks like it's available in the Sony store?
Also they have a 25% off coupon this weekend and I think this title qualifies coupon - 25OFFRAA0303
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/max...00000000529705
Thanks for that. And I thought I looked thoroughly

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
brianj6
brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
Parker is the best! They can't make a decent movie out of the novels (and why they can't call the character "Parker" is beyond me), but you can't beat the books!
brianj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj6 View Post
Parker is the best! They can't make a decent movie out of the novels (and why they can't call the character "Parker" is beyond me), but you can't beat the books!
apparently donald westlake wouldnt let them use the name 'parker' unless they were doing a series.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Thumbs up Donald Westlake article

I know this is an old thread, but ran across an article about Donald Westlake and his Parker novels. An interesting read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...fect-character
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj6 View Post
There have been several movies, most notably Lee Marvin's Point Blank. Is the current movie with Jason Statham the first not to change his name?
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to the article I posted a link to, this is the first movie that actually calls the main character Parker.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I know this is an old thread, but ran across an article about Donald Westlake and his Parker novels. An interesting read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...fect-character
That was so fun to read. Makes me anxious to get to know both Dortmunder and Parker...I can't decide which will be first!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous

If you plan on using an ereader, it appears that only the Parker novels are available (on the Kindle). Reasonably priced. All under $5 and most under $4.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I found one (Flashfire) at my library and then made a list of the ones I'll need from Amazon. Anything $5 or under is a bargain!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #27
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I found one (Flashfire) at my library and then made a list of the ones I'll need from Amazon. Anything $5 or under is a bargain!
most of the new parker movie is based on that book.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Flashfire is on sale for $1.99 on Amazon/Kindle right now....

[Be forewarned though, it's a movie tie-in edition, with color photos up front.]
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Have never read him. I do often get him mixed up with George Stark (A Stephen King character in "The Dark Half"). lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Have never read him. I do often get him mixed up with George Stark (A Stephen King character in "The Dark Half"). lol.
he was inspired by richard stark... check out the dedication page from king.