Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[Old Thread] metadata.opf ?

i run the new library check utility & it reports metadata.opf as an invalid author.

sure enough there is a file with that name in the root calibre library folder

should I delete that file - I hesitate to mess with anything called metadata !
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The root folder should only contain metadata.db, so the file is at least out of place. Did you do some manual copying inside the library? What does the metadata inside the metadata.opf look like (open in text editor)?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
The root folder should only contain metadata.db, so the file is at least out of place. Did you do some manual copying inside the library? What does the metadata inside the metadata.opf look like (open in text editor)?
I too have a metadata.opf in the root of my library. The last time I just deleted it but your question intrigued me so I checked it out prior to deleting it. It turns out it was the last book I added to my library. I'm not sure why calibre stashed it there. Maybe I'll be able to develop a trend as I find these files.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I too have a metadata.opf in the root of my library. The last time I just deleted it but your question intrigued me so I checked it out prior to deleting it. It turns out it was the last book I added to my library. I'm not sure why calibre stashed it there. Maybe I'll be able to develop a trend as I find these files.
Huh, you're right. I have one of those as well. It contains metadata of the last added book, as in your case. Maybe we should wait for Kovid or someone to explain that...
Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
That file shouldn't be there. I have seen it, but I haven't yet taken the time to figure out why it appears. If it is the metadata of the last added book, then the problem could be that the backup thread is being asked to backup a book that isn't quite real yet.

You can safely delete the OPF file (not the DB file).

Some day I will look for why this happens.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
contents ( via notepad)
[code]
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">561</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="uuid" id="uuid_id">8d06c81b-85c6-4031-9e99-71020b7e73d6</dc:identifier>
<dc:title>Dead Girls are Easy</dc:title>
<dc:contributor opf:file-as="calibre" opf:role="bkp">calibre (0.7.23) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
<dc:date>2010-10-18T05:55:38+00:00</dc:date>
<dc:language>en-GB</dc:language>
<meta content="2010-10-18T05:55:38+00:00" name="calibre:timestamp"/>
<meta content="Dead Girls are Easy" name="calibre:title_sort"/>
</metadata>
<guide>
<reference href="cover.jpg" type="cover" title="Cover"/>
</guide>
</package>
[code]

NB that's a recently added book, but it's not the last one I added

Theory - if I added this via the "add all books in a folder" option, maybe my source folder contained 2 files - the book file & this one. Calibre would place it in root directory as it could not see any author or title metadata ?

Last edited by cybmole; 10-19-2010 at 06:21 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Theory - if I added this via the "add all books in a folder" option, maybe my source folder contained 2 files - the book file & this one. Calibre would place it in root directory as it could not see any author or title metadata ?
Nice theory but it doesn't wash with my opf. I just dragged and dropped a epub file from a directory to the book list.

Like Chaley, I don't think this is a high priority problem. The first time I ran into it I deleted the file without much thought the next time I just chalked up to a glitch that I could live with.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hmm. I have another one
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id">
    <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
        <dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">1314</dc:identifier>
        <dc:identifier opf:scheme="uuid" id="uuid_id">bc2caf28-8858-400f-a224-95f99b5b04dc</dc:identifier>
        <dc:title>Carousel Tides</dc:title>
        <dc:contributor opf:file-as="calibre" opf:role="bkp">calibre (0.7.23) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
        <dc:date>2010-10-13T09:03:31+00:00</dc:date>
        <dc:language>en</dc:language>
        <meta content="2010-10-13T09:03:31+00:00" name="calibre:timestamp"/>
        <meta content="Carousel Tides" name="calibre:title_sort"/>
        <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#edited" content="{&quot;is_category&quot;: false, &quot;colnum&quot;: 1, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Edited Format&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;datetime&quot;, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 20, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#edited&quot;], &quot;#value#&quot;: null, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;edited&quot;, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_1&quot;, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;date_format&quot;: &quot;MM/dd/yyyy&quot;}}"/>
        <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#usertags" content="{&quot;is_category&quot;: true, &quot;colnum&quot;: 2, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;User Tags&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 21, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#usertags&quot;], &quot;#value#&quot;: [], &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;usertags&quot;, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: &quot;|&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_2&quot;, &quot;display&quot;: {}}"/>
        <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#read" content="{&quot;is_category&quot;: false, &quot;colnum&quot;: 3, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Read&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;bool&quot;, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 22, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#read&quot;], &quot;#value#&quot;: null, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;read&quot;, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_3&quot;, &quot;display&quot;: {}}"/>
    </metadata>
    <guide>
        <reference href="cover.jpg" type="cover" title="Cover"/>
    </guide>
</package>
It has the index_number of the last book added to the Library.
I drag and drop when I add, fixing Metadata as I go
I DID edit the tags (list) originally that came with the EPUB file (Baen)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My suspicion was correct. These files are created because the backup task is given a book that is only partially created. The code now ignores such books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
My suspicion was correct. These files are created because the backup task is given a book that is only partially created. The code now ignores such books.
Charles wins again
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Charles wins again
How many internets does that make in total?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
retlaw704
retlaw704 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Kindle Reader
I want to thank all of you for all your questions and answers. It solved my question. I will delete the metadata.opf file.

------------------------------------------------------------
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
retlaw704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw704 View Post
I want to thank all of you for all your questions and answers. It solved my question. I will delete the metadata.opf file.
Since this thread is so old the info here does not apply to any current existing problem. I would like to know what you think this thread helped you solve?