Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
[Format][SW] How to create an indexed, multimedia file

Hi all... One little question: if I would to create an indexed, hypertextual, multimedial (with images and tables) file like Nate the great's World Factbook (not so long, really ), which software and which format (PRC?) I should use / do you suggest? I'm searching for - I hope - a WYSIWYG editor... In fact I'm familiar with various mark-up languages, but a WYSIWYG would be better despite I prefer having a direct overview of what I'm composing. I'm sorry if it is a recurring topic, but the number and variety of discussions in this section are a bit confusing..

I had to use this file with Irex DR-1000.

Thanks for suggestions.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I use Textpad. It's pretty good.

One thing I like about it is that it will identify valid html tags and display them in a different color. It can also find and replace text simultaneously in a couple hundred files.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Uhm, if I hadn't to use a WYSIWYG I think Notepad++ would be good as much.

..but the questions are:

1. It is really necessary a plain text editor?
2. In that case, how to convert/create/compile/build (which one? XD) an appropriate file?
3. Which language I have to use?
4. Which file type?

If I have to to use plain text file as raws I hope they have to be (X)HTML and CSS (less probable..) because they are the better known mark-ups.

Thank you a lot!

Last edited by Warriah; 06-30-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriah View Post
Uhm, if I hadn't to use a WYSIWYG I think Notepad++ would be good as much.
For what it is worth I very much prefer to use an HTML editor, but certainly not a WYSIWYG editor. Call me prejudiced if you like, but I think WYSIWG editors produce bloated markup which one has to correct anyway. Better to take the time and do it right from the start.

Another advantage is that one can display the markup on a browser, though of course one must remember that there are significant differences from the ways browsers render the mark up and the way ebooks render markup.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote