Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
lrando
lrando began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Read Nook Books on Kindle Paper White

Hello all. I am brand new here. Came on the recommendation of several sites that said you guys may be able to help. I have been a Nook reader for a few years and like the Nook very much. I currently have the Nook Simple touch. Recently I decided to buy an e-reader w/the light already included. I had looked at both the Paper White and the Nook Glowlight. I liked both and went with the Paper White only because the Glowlight screen seemed a little dark and almost a grey/bluish color when not using the light during the day. The Paper White just seemed clearer. I have alot of Nook books still waiting to be read. Here's the question...Can I somehow get the Nook books onto the Kindle? I either need "Yes you can and here's how...." or "No, you cannot do in any way, shape or form." I have been getting mixed messages. I am somewhat technologically able and understand the DRM issue. Some have said it's doable, others say no. I am counting on you all to solve the mystery. If it's a no, I will return the Kindle for now.
lrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
Yes, you can.

The simplest way is to use the Calibre GUI to convert the EPUB books from Nook (after taking care of any, *cough*, issues) to MOBI, and let Calibre transfer them to the Kindle over the USB connection.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
A little elaboration. Your Nook books are in epub format. The Paperwhite does not read epub. There are options such as koreader or duokan (not recommended) which can be installed on your Paperwhite and will read epubs. Both involve "jailbreaking" your device, which may not even be a feasible option depending on your firmware version.

The easiest way is to convert your epub books to mobi or, preferably, azw3, the proprietary formats Amazon uses. This is easily accompished by installing ebook management software called Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/

The one remaining complication is that Calibre will not out of the box convert any ebooks infested with DRM (Digital Rights Management), a problem from which virtually all of your Nook books will suffer. To solve this you should visit Apprentice Alf's blog.https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/ Once the relevant Calibre tools are installed and configured all you need to do is add your books to Calibre, convert them and transfer what you want to read to your Paperwhite.

Good luck, and if you need assistance don't hesitate to post in this thread. However, be aware that Mobilebook rules allow us to link to Apprentice Alf but assistance beyond this with DRM removal is not permitted on the forums.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you need help with DRM-removal, the place to ask is the site you download the tools from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
lrando

Thank you all. I appreciate the help. I think for now I will stick with the Nook. Thanks again!
Advert
Old 05-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrando View Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the help. I think for now I will stick with the Nook. Thanks again!
I like Kindle but you've made a wise choice. I will stick with Kindle. It would be nice if all ebooks used the same formatting but they don't.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I like Kindle but you've made a wise choice. I will stick with Kindle. It would be nice if all ebooks used the same formatting but they don't.
I buy books from all sorts of different bookstores. Book conversion really is extremely easy. No need to let your preferred choice of reading device dictate the book format you buy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I buy books from all sorts of different bookstores. Book conversion really is extremely easy. No need to let your preferred choice of reading device dictate the book format you buy.
Totally agree with Harry. With Calibre and Alf's tools there's no reason to limit yourself to any particular format no matter which reader you choose.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I agree with Harry and dordale. If you need help, Apprentice Alf is usually very helpful. I pretty much buy from whatever store I want.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Conversion is easy except when it isn't. Amazon, B&N and Kobo have all been quite fussy within the last few months when downloading files and removing DRM using the tools.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Conversion is easy except when it isn't. Amazon, B&N and Kobo have all been quite fussy within the last few months when downloading files and removing DRM using the tools.
What problems have you had? I've had no difficulties whatsoever with Amazon or Kobo. I haven't bought anything from B&N.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've tried Calibre but as with taking photos, working on the computer is something I will do when I have to but it's no pleasure. If I never bought another book I'd probably still be reading when I die.

I can't remember looking for a specific book that I couldn't find on Amazon.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
What problems have you had? I've had no difficulties whatsoever with Amazon or Kobo. I haven't bought anything from B&N.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I know there've been some problems with EPUB3 on Kobo, but I thought that was getting resolved. BN is a bit of a mess, though most people can get it to work, especially if they're persistent.

I've not heard of problems with Amazon, though. Would be interested in hearing if there's anything to be aware (or wary) of.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
lrando

Thanks for help

Thank you to all who helped. I am happy to report I was able to finally figure out the conversion from Nook to Amazon Kindle. It was NOT as easy as the website proclaimed it to be...But I did it and I am very happy!

Tags
drm, kindle, nook