Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
What do you use for a cover / case?

I've been using just an envelope case and reading the NC 'naked.' But I've been struggling with the weight of the NC lately, and it's got me thinking -- I've read hardcover books in the past (or even big paperbacks) that are heavier than this with no issues. I've decided that the width of an open book helps spread the load better than trying to support this much weight under such a narrow width. So I've gone ahead and ordered one of the book style covers to see if this helps at all.

So how about you? What type of cover do you use and is it helping at all with distributing the weight while you're reading?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use the B&N Industriell Cover in Storm. It is made from a non-slip material that is comfortable for holding the nookcolor.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Indu...?cds2Pid=36174
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I use the B&N Industriell Cover in Storm. It is made from a non-slip material that is comfortable for holding the nookcolor.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Indu...?cds2Pid=36174
Same here - it works very well for me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
I bought this cover from Amazon and while it's a rather "plasticky" feeling "synthetic" leather, it's cute and does the job, so I'm happy with it. I find though that when I'm reading, I don't hold it as a book, I fold the front cover back and read that way.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I have the industriell easel in storm. Almost exactly the same as the one previously meantioned except it folds over the back. Has a magnetic clip to hold the cover in place and it is easy to hold.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I use the leather writer's cover and love it. It is a soft and easy to grip cover and it is also tough enough that it doesn't get all scratched and scuffed up from normal use.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Leat...?cds2Pid=35616
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Beat you all, my Libra Pro came with one free and my current reader a blackberry really has no need for one. Would be rather silly to put a cover on a smart phone. Its a real great reader IMHO.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have just gotten a cover and I think the weight distribution is noticeable. With having a cover, you can use both hands in holding the Nook, so that helps with the weight. Plus you can spread out your hand more when holding it and my hand doesn't get cramped.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Beat you all, my Libra Pro came with one free and my current reader a blackberry really has no need for one. Would be rather silly to put a cover on a smart phone. Its a real great reader IMHO.
And does the cover that came with your Libre Pro fit a Nook Color?

If not, your suggestion may not be helpful for those people who already have a Nook Color and are looking for a cover for it.

As for putting a cover on a smartphone, I did. It's not a flip open cover like the ones on my Sony (which came with a cover) and my Nook Color, but I do have a cover on it. I find it both protects the phone and makes it easier to grip.

Everyone's needs are different, and while a smartphone may be the best reader for your needs, it may not be for others - and suggesting that people should have got a different device when they're looking for accessories to fit a device they already have is rather less than helpful.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I quickly changed my mind and decided I needed a cover because of the weight as well. It took me two trips before settling on the Writers cover mentioned above. I wanted something functional but didn't spend a lot of money.

- I originally thought I wanted an easel..but the Industriell Easel only held the device in portrait mode and I plan to use my Nook Color as a tablet more than a reader. The Sullivan easel works great as a landscape easel but bulkier than what I wanted.

- I ruled out a lot of covers because they seemed to stiff - either didn't fold back easily or it seemed the leather would pucker eventually from doing so (I saw it happening on some of the samples that were out).

- I also decided to rule out covers with light interiors as I was afraid they would show dirt to easily including the Paterson cover that otherwise fit the bill.
http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Pate...?cds2Pid=35616

- It was between the Industriell Storm mentioned and the Writers Cover that I bought. The deciding factor was I wanted a pocket to hold a cloth to clean the screen with.

As far as an easel? I realized I already had one the perfect device that I use with my Kindle...a Book Hug!

While it's not portable like a built in easel, it does hold the Cook Nook in with the cover folded back in Landscape mode perfectly!

http://www.bookhug.com/

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'm using the Javoedge Editor Flip. I like being able to stand up the NC to read. In fact, I'm wishing I had a case like that for my Nook classic now.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I rock my nook bareback.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Boston, I love those book hugs! I just use a plate holder like this one:

I may need to revisit my cover choice. I love the Industriell and Writer's covers you guys have linked to. Hmmmm....
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
cmanbrazil
cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3300wt_1141

The company is blue angle direct on Ebay. I bought a leather case for 15.99, which now sells for 16.99. I think this actual leather case is better than what barnes and nobles offers for $50 and more. In my view, barnes and nobles is a rip off. I also got a beautiful skin for it from gelaskins on the internet. Even though I like the skin, I love the case much more, and it rarely comes out of it.

It is not that I don't like the cases at B&N, I just think they are over priced and don't compare to what I bought from ebay.
cmanbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
The deciding factor was I wanted a pocket to hold a cloth to clean the screen with.
I have a simple nylon zipper case for my NC. I put a microfiber cloth over the screen whenever I zip up the case to transport my Nook. I feel it protects the screen and I don't need a pocket to hold the cloth. Each time I open it up I give the screen a wipe or two and it's always almost perfectly clean.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote