Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
LibraryGoddess
LibraryGoddess is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony reader 505
Lord of the Rings

My ebook just arrived. I own many copies of Lord of the Rings. I understand it is not available in ebook format. I also must have it as I have just retired and will be living out of a backpack for 6 months. After searching the forums I know some of you do have it. I have found it on-line from a site where many people took their time to type it in. But I have no clue how to convert it or get it into the Sony. Any step-by-step help would be most appreciated. I am computer savy but not ebook or PDF savy. Thank you so much for any help.
LibraryGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm afraid that we don't give advice about the darknet.

Even if we did, then we wouldn't be able to say how to convert a book in an unknown format into something that the Sony Reader understands.

But if you have some legal books that you want to convert, try either Calibre or Book Designer. Both are free programs that will convert to LRF - the Sony format. (Do a forum search and look at our wiki here
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion

The Sony Reader will also accept books in Doc and RTF, but one can't include tables of contents (or pictures with RTF).
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
paperless
paperless began at the beginning.

Device: none
All the new Tolkien ebooks are available at BooksOnBoard - 30% straight discount off of list. A great deal for non-proprietary readers. http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...SEARCH=tolkien
paperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Dupe thread ... see ... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45212
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not exactly. The thread was started in July, long before the books became available through legitimate outlets.

By the way, in addition to Books on Board, the Tolkein books are available from Fictionwise, Amazon, and the Sony store. I'd strongly recommend that you replace any copy you had obtained from other channels with a sanctioned version from one of these stores.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some of the "pirated" version have better scanned images then the legal editions.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Not exactly. The thread was started in July, long before the books became available through legitimate outlets.
My mistake. I did not notice the date.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mistake. I did not notice the date.
It's easy to overlook -- particularly with the plethora of posts announcing the availability of these long-awaited books. Now if I can only get the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's easy to overlook -- particularly with the plethora of posts announcing the availability of these long-awaited books. Now if I can only get the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books.
um darknet?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Now if I can only get the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books.

All of them? That may be a while. I believe they will need to get a bigger e-warehouse to hold the entire thing. (They may have to take over some LOLcat homes by eminent domain to get the room. Think of the poor LOLcats!)
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #11
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:

By the way, in addition to Books on Board, the Tolkein books are available from Fictionwise, Amazon, and the Sony store. I'd strongly recommend that you replace any copy you had obtained from other channels with a sanctioned version from one of these stores.
I also saw this but saw the thread as being old and some links and formats have problems....
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote