Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #46
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
This reader is looks pretty much exactly how I pictured B&N's new reader (the one that they are announcing tomorrow). Now I'm more curious than ever what the price and features of that reader will be!

Oh and I couldn't take that Sony slander any more, I emailed the author of the article.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #47
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am very tempted to get one, but I really don't need another ebook reader. Perhaps as a gift to someone.
Want and need are two different things - in this case you should give in to need.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #48
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This reader is looks pretty much exactly how I pictured B&N's new reader (the one that they are announcing tomorrow). Now I'm more curious than ever what the price and features of that reader will be!

Oh and I couldn't take that Sony slander any more, I emailed the author of the article.

eP
Lol, I'm glad that you emailed him. I'm really curious to see the new Nook, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #49
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Want and need are two different things - in this case you should give in to need.
I will have to give into need, considering my recent budget constraints. I would love to gift one of these to someone special, however.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #50
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
The Sony Readers do have multiple language interfaces and Sony's bookstore operates in several countries. Additionally the Sony's have multiple language dictionaries. So where exactly is the first?
exactly. Also, PocketBook readers have multi language support(reading and interface) translation dictionaries, titles available in multiple languages in their store and Text to Speech in multiple languages.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #51
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Ooh. This looks nice and has good specs; though I wish it still had backup hardware buttons for page-turns because I personally don't like touching the screen that much and am paranoid (and lazy about trimming my fingernails sometimes).

Hopefully they'll also fix the firmware so that you can finally follow footnotes in books and also use the dictionary with non-Kobo-bought books (and maybe load up your own extra dictionaries in whatever appropriate format).

But aside from those minor issues, this is really nice, especially with the news that they'll be making it available internationally as well.

Hopefully Kobo's expansion of both reader as well as store into the international markets will give them a good niche to get a foothold in and enable them to survive against Amazon et al.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Maybe I'm out of date, but I have both the Kobo Wifi, and the Sony Touch (pocket edition)....and to my eyes, the contrast is already better on the Kobo. Or maybe it's something about the greyscale.
I could have sworn the part about the 350 wasn't there originally:

Quote:
...And, since that touch screen is built using IR tech that's built into the bezel, the contrast of the screen doesn't suffer -- a common complaint on the early Sony Reader Touch Edition. (Sony has since switched to the same sort of IR technology on their touchable readers, like the PRS-350SC.) ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #53
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I could have sworn the part about the 350 wasn't there originally:
It wasn't. I guess when eP speaks, Engadget listens! :-)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Ooh. This looks nice and has good specs; though I wish it still had backup hardware buttons for page-turns because I personally don't like touching the screen that much and am paranoid (and lazy about trimming my fingernails sometimes).

Hardware buttons (and disabling the touchscreen) are a must have features; think of all those hot tub and beach users who have their readers in waterproof baggies.

Last edited by John F; 05-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #55
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hardware buttons (and disabling the touchscreen) are a must have features; think of all those hot tub and beach users who have their readers in waterproof baggies.
Not just in the hot tub or on the beach, but also while standing in the rain waiting for the bus, which is me at least twice a week with the weather here* on the Lower Mainland.

You'd think that a Canadian company would have thought of that sooner…

* The clouds think we're all pod people that need to be watered almost daily.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #56
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I have actually seen the Sony PRS-350 at certain Walmart stores in Canada (selling for about $180, if I recall correctly), but it is not listed on their website, which I find odd.
Wal-mart Canada used to carry the Sony e-readers; I believe that the removal from the website means they are working through remaining inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
The Sony Readers do have multiple language interfaces and Sony's bookstore operates in several countries. Additionally, the Sonys have multiple language dictionaries. So where exactly is the first?
I believe the point is that Kobo has separate bookstore offerings -- different languages -- in France, Germany, Italy, Spain (or, more to the point, started to open these this month with more to follow in June or July). I don't believe either Sony or Amazon are quite there yet (Amazon has the German Kindle store as I already noted).

Here was the Apr press release: http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobo-kicks...don-book-fair/

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-23-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added link
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #57
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It wasn't. I guess when eP speaks, Engadget listens! :-)
Ha ha! I feel so powerful now!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #58
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Just got the promo email from Borders on this. It looks great. And yes it does still have the quilted back. Price is nice too. $129. They say available July 30. Five type sizes, two fonts, wifi and magazine/newspaper subs now. Sony better look out.

Last edited by tponzo; 05-23-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more info
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #59
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Here are the tech spec from Kobo website. Pretty sweet!
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #60
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Wal-mart Canada used to carry the Sony e-readers; I believe that the removal from the website means they are working through remaining inventory.

I believe the point is that Kobo has separate bookstore offerings -- different languages -- in France, Germany, Italy, Spain (or, more to the point, started to open these this month with more to follow in June or July). I don't believe either Sony or Amazon are quite there yet (Amazon has the German Kindle store as I already noted).

Here was the Apr press release: http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobo-kicks...don-book-fair/
Thanks!

Can I just mention here that I love the Kobo accessory line that they sell at Chapters? Especially the Roots sleeves... I am already planning on getting a special someone this reader for their birthday, if it is released in time (mid-June). I can't seem to find an exact release date on the Chapters website.