Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #61
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
(BTW--double space in paragraphs -- was this an individual problem, someone's book file or a FW issue?)

jim
That was me. I solved the double spacing problem with a bit of nifty CSS programming. See the thread "Tinkering With CSS" and I think it is in the second post that has the actual program changes I made.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #62
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
People are reporting on using unsupported firmware using coolreader to open ePUB.
I wonder where you came up with that impression? ThomasMcKean had the double paragraph spacing problem on an FB2 file as I recall, which definitely is supported by CoolReader. The problem was actually in the file, if you have read this thread. Actually CoolReader 3 does support EPUB, so even that is not unsupported firmware.
Quote:
There is no problem using the supplied firmware with ePUBs in the way they are supposed to be used.
Yup, ADE works just the it always has on the PP, with all the same problems it has always had. CoolReader has a LOT more user options to make it more comfortable to use, so I am grateful that buggins has given us the option in CoolReader to take EPUB away from ADE.

Last edited by Dave_S; 03-15-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Hey Dale... wasn't blaming anything mate... just asking about the firmware.

I saw people said they downloaded the official FW update, and got locked screens, or extra lines in paragraphs, or the TTS is gone.... nothing said that was unsupported firmware ??
Actually you quoted a doublespace problem which is not caused by the firmware upgrade. It was caused when someone used coolreader to read ePUB which is not a supported activity. It was the only thing you mentioned. Had you mentioned TTS then I wouldn't have posted.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #64
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Actually you quoted a doublespace problem which is not caused by the firmware upgrade. It was caused when someone used coolreader to read ePUB which is not a supported activity.
CORRECTION: The double spacing came from TXT, FB2, and HTML files. I don't think I even have an epub anywhere. I've never tried it.

But with reprogramming the CSS, I was able to solve the double space problem. I posted the solution in another thread.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #65
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
hey

folks, i simply asked if there was a problem, no biggie, just figuring if i need to wait to upgrade.

this one said it's firmware, that one said no it's files.

it's confusing if people are actually having problems with the official upgrade, or if it's poorly formatted books are screwing up on the new firmware.

thats all.................

Last edited by cancelx; 03-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #66
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
folks, i simply asked if there was a problem, no biggie, just figuring if i need to wait to upgrade.
Then let clarify and be clear, since it happened to me.

In regards to whether it was the files or the firmare, the answer is it is BOTH. Both are to blame for the extra spaces. It was a combination of bad files, and also firmware that was not reading the spaces in the bad files correctly. Previous versions of the firmware did not have the same problem with the bad files and were able to compensate.

But it is an easy fix. Takes just a few seconds and yew only have to do it once.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #67
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You are welcome!
I do not know a lot about what can be done with CoolReader CSS files, so I am also experimenting. So far, I have just got the first line indent on new paragraphs set the way I want and set the default font to sans-serif, since I am not a big fan of serif fonts. I wish that I could find documentation on what CSS styles that CoolReader works with, but so far I have not found anything.
I've been trying to find some sort of metadata tag in the CSS files, but no luck. If yew look toward the bottom of the file, there is a bunch of stuff that LOOKS like it should be metadata. But changing these options really doesn't seem to have any effect on the data of the book shown at the top when yew load a book into coolreader.

I was wanting to find a way to show title only. So many books with "Unknown" in the author metadata, and that is also the default for Calibre. So I have been trying to find a way to not show the "Unknown" (or whatever the author's name may be) at the beginning of the line at the top.

But I can't find a way to do this.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #68
rezidue
rezidue began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Any ideas why coolreader would be bolding lines my txt files when they shouldn't be? It seems like if a sentance is quoted and on a single line with a blank line above and below coolreader is putting it onto the next page at the top in bold. I need to test it a bit more but that's not a behavior I saw before. Was txt loaded into coolreader prior to this latest firmware?
rezidue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #69
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezidue View Post
Any ideas why coolreader would be bolding lines my txt files when they shouldn't be? It seems like if a sentance is quoted and on a single line with a blank line above and below coolreader is putting it onto the next page at the top in bold. I need to test it a bit more but that's not a behavior I saw before. Was txt loaded into coolreader prior to this latest firmware?
That's another CSS issue. It can be fixed by reworking the TXT.CSS file.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #70
Readerati
Readerholic
Readerati began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro
Something that sounds suspiciously like a newbie question:

Do I take it that if you want to use CoolReader (for example) you should open an e-book file type that has CoolReader associated with it?
Readerati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #71
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerati View Post
Something that sounds suspiciously like a newbie question:

Do I take it that if you want to use CoolReader (for example) you should open an e-book file type that has CoolReader associated with it?

Yes, however, you can trick the PP into using Coolreader for ePubs being renaming them to have an .fb2 extension
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #72
Readerati
Readerholic
Readerati began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Yes, however, you can trick the PP into using Coolreader for ePubs being renaming them to have an .fb2 extension
Thanks. I've installed the new firmware. See what everyone means by the expanded controls. A minor gripe - I lost my bookmarks in a .txt file. Is this normal when upgrading firmware or ejecting sd cards? I thought the bookmarks lived with the file.

To play it safe, in future I'll finish reading my current book befoie doing anything. I'd forgotten the page number and had do do a lot of page turning. On a positive note, I can attest to the fact that the page turning function is fully operational in the new firmware!!
Readerati is offline   Reply With Quote