Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #361
Lero
Lero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Most PDFs embed a subset of the font they use. AFAIK, we can't override that on the Kindle to make them use the system's fonts, sorry .
Ah, yes. I hoped there was a way to make Kindle substitute embedded fonts with the system ones.

I still have the option to export pages as PNGs, enchance the contrast and build the new PDF. The PDF source is not available.

Thanks anyway!
Lero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #362
jacobh
jacobh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
For what it's worth, Acrobat Pro (and possibly some other tools) can un-embed fonts from a PDF which would force the Kindle to do a font substitution. I have no idea how the Kindle handles font substitutions.

In Acrobat Pro it's part of the PDF Optimizer options.
jacobh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #363
sebchan
sebchan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
NiLuJe
Can you tell me what are the hacks and/or files that I need to install in order to read Chinese documents in my Kindle 2 Interrnational?
sebchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #364
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
Have Kindle US and can't update to 2.5.4. Have 2.5.2 and had jailbreak and SS version 3. Tried the uninstalls, but no luck. It still showed the SS hack. So installed jailbreak again and your SS, version 4. Works great, but still can't upgrade to 2.5.4. Is there a way to actually wipe these hacks away, or am I stuck with version 2.5.2?
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #365
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sebchan: Fonts + the DroidFallback set that was posted. (check the attachments page of the thread).

@Dharabum: Try the latest uninstaller for SS 0.4 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=2).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #366
Rd31
Rd31 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hello Niluje, thank you so much, I can't believe how much better helvetica2 looks as compared to that font which came with my kindle. I don't know if this the right place to ask this, if it isn't please tell me. I saved an html page of AE Housman's collected poems and used calibre to convert from html to .mobi format and upload to my kindle. The table of contents works but I can't search for anything, the dictionary doesn't work and most importantly the font looks like a .txt file font, the new font doesn't work. Is this because of the hack or is it a bug in conversion from html? here's the link of the html page below
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~m...e_housman.html
Rd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #367
irha
irha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You don't need the `usbQa command anymore. Appart from that, never tried this on Windows, so no idea how Windows handles this, sorry .
I noticed that there is a unknown device for RNDIS so found that win7 doesn't come with driver for usb networking. I found this page: http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...hering_27.html that referred me to install microsoft mobile device center, but it didn't help in my case. I will try again later after a reboot, but since this is an issue with my OS, and the device itself seems to appear correctly to the OS, the USB networking hack itself must have worked. Thanks for your help again.
irha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #368
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Rd31: Are you sure you're using the mobi version on your Kindle? I'm not sure, but that vaguely sounds like you're trying to display a raw HTML file without proper styling, and that ends up using the Mono font...

@irha: No idea, don't use Windows . You might try take a look at the Documentation/usb/linux.inf file of a recent Linux kernel, that may (or not) be of some help. The few things that seems to come out of this is that Windows' USB & RNDIS stack is utter crap. So, if it kills a kitten or crash horribly, you'll know why ;o).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-06-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #369
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Update time! Yaaaaay'.

Quick update to v0.10.N/v3.7.N. There's really nothing much interesting, except for new users, check the ChangeLog.

The only thing to note is that I finally got rid of my stupid and confusing idea of letting the user upload the custom directory themselves. Now, the update will take care of it. And, it's smart enough to keep your current custom fonts/screensavers when doing an update.

This somewhat simplify the install & update instructions ^^. The first post & Wiki pages have been updated. (And I also cleaned up a bit the first post).

(Well, actually, I left the Wiki pages the 'old' way, because it's a bit clearer with the screenshots, and that saves a framework restart).

The only downside is that the zipfiles are now larger, because we're embedding the same files for each different Kindle model.

(The usbnetwork package has also been updated like this).

(And I also fixed the sstimeout package to include the proper original README file).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-07-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #370
bhoang33
bhoang33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Thanks for the font hack. I can read the book without boxes font.
Anyway, it seems to have another problem. I can't increase the font size using the button Aa anymore. The only choice that isn't gray out is Screen Rotation.
Can someone help/explain?
Thanks.
bhoang33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #371
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Are you sure the file you are looking at is not a PDF?
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #372
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And what font set in particular are you talking about?

EDIT: But, yeah, you're probably looking at a PDF file. ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-08-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #373
irha
irha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
I was able to follow these instructions and get a root access from windows 7 64 bit: http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Windows_XP_usbnet

I was then stuck not being able to get internet access from kindle. I did enable sharing with my wifi, so it is not that. I can't ping google.com (even by ip) and I can't even start the store (it asks me to turn on wireless, and if I answer "no", it doesn't even start).

I actually tried to follow instructions from http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...hering_27.html, but some of these might be out of day (e.g., the /etc/init.d/usbnet file is already created by the hack install, though the contents appear to be different). I don't know where I can find the up to date instructions that go along with the latest usbnet install.

BTW, I also tried this on a mac, which had the same issue. I was able to ssh in, but not connect to internet from kindle.
irha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #374
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There are helper scripts supposed to do this in the usbnet/bin directory (usbnet-enable to switch tethering on, and usbnet-disable to switch tethering off). Note that I haven't tried them, and that I don't even know if they're supposed to work with fw 2.5 . That won't help setup connexion sharing on the host computer though.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #375
bhoang33
bhoang33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
No, it's not an .PDF file, it's a .mobi file. For some reason, after my post, I messed around with it and can increase the font using Aa.. it's kind of weird... thanks, though..
bhoang33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet