Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
binaykumargupta
binaykumargupta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile K3 3G-What's Charged and What's Not

I recently bought a Kindle 3 3G/WiFi. Now what I am trying to understand is if I go out of USA and use 3G what will be changed and what not. I know browsing will be charged. But if I have registered with a Newspaper daily and I get that on my kindle when I am out will that be charged ?

The other thing, is it possible to have RSS feeds configured to post directly on my Kindle.

Will appreciate if someone who has tried this before can clarify this to me, or if you have got idea about it.

Thanks
binaykumargupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no charge for web browsing. There is a charge for having documents (including newspapers) sent to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
If you subscribe to a paper through Calibre it is free (unless it is a subscription one like the Times).

I get the Telegraph/Independent/Observer/Dilbert daily.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
There is no charge for browsing using 3g. I have found it to be slow, but nice to have as a "just in case" browser.

For me, it has worked in Spain, France, Germany, The Netherlands and South Korea.

When I travel outside the US I am sent a message called Important Reminder About International Delivery Fees. It states "There is no charge to use Whispernet 3G wireless outside the U.S. to receive books, receive single periodical issues, access archived items, or browse the Kindle Store."
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's changed in that case; there used to be a surcharge for "foreign" delivery of books or subscription content. Good to hear that it's no longer so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's changed in that case; there used to be a surcharge for "foreign" delivery of books or subscription content. Good to hear that it's no longer so.
"receive single periodical issues" is the keyword here. If you have subscriptions for the periodicals, you will still have to pay the roaming charges. Book delivery was always free.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
"receive single periodical issues" is the keyword here. If you have subscriptions for the periodicals, you will still have to pay the roaming charges. Book delivery was always free.
This year I traveled in Europe and the Caribbean (I reside in Canada), and had a NYTimes subscription delivered daily with no extra charge. I had no extra charge for any orders or use of the web browser while abroad. That was with Kindle 3.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaykumargupta View Post
The other thing, is it possible to have RSS feeds configured to post directly on my Kindle.
In theory, it seems like RSS and Kindle should be made for each other, what with both being for text, but I've never quite found a worth-it way to make it part of my personal Kindle ecosystem. This could partly be because RSS, as a technology, seems to have gone into a slow decline about the same time the K3 was released.

The first web site to check out might be www.kindlefeeder.com.

A quick search found this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61661
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
configuration, kindle 3 3g, wifi