Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #31
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaerwald View Post
Just ordered the Galaxy Tab here in Germany (as of today lowest price approx. 560 Euro).

You mentioned the lack of a "right" app for reading pdf: does it mean there is no app or not the right one . I cannot imagine that pdf is not known to Android. Btw: these are my first steps into this world.
There are numerous apps for reading PDFs on Android. I just haven't found the "right" one yet. Quite frankly, I didn't look very intensively though. I'm not that much into PDFs. But for "professional" documents (contracts, SLAs, proposals, text books, ...) results of most apps are far from perfect.
Either they use reflow, which simply "kills" the original layout and looses lots of details (graphs, pictures, formulas, ...). Or they use very basic zoom functionality. I'd like to have "smart" zoom, for example identifying columns and such...

Congrats to your Galaxy Tab. You certainly won't regret it.
But you shouldn't have mentioned the price, will cost me some hours of sleep.
I've paid € 720 or something like that 6 or 8 weeks ago...

BTW: First app to install on Galaxy Tab should be "Spare Parts" from the Android market. It allows for full zoom (= full screen, even if the app has been designed for non-HD units) of all apps. Else you'll have the "iPhone" effect for maybe 60% of all apps.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-19-2010 at 12:36 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #32
kbaerwald
BioReader
kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Congrats to your Galaxy Tab. You certainly won't regret it.
But you shouldn't have mentioned the price, will cost me some hours of sleep.
I've paid € 720 or something like that 6 or 8 weeks ago...
Yes - I am rather not an early adopter - but also do not belong to the sort of people who buy the product shortly before EOS (end of support) . I hope the stuff arrives before Xmas so to play a little bit with Android and see if it can be used as ereader when my PRS-650 is not around.
kbaerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
CW reviewed 4 tablets and chose Galaxy as with "winner:"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112463
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #34
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Thanks for all the info on the Galaxy Tab, very interesting. I am thinking of buying one soon. Looks great except for the battery life? But I am not a big reader, 5 ~ 8 hours is probably OK for me
Thanks
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm using my Galaxy Tab quite frequently as a phone.
(both using the very same provider, same Multi-SIM).

Last week, on Tab, in the hotel I've done for example:
Downloading a movie and a TV episode from the usenet. Directly on the Tab, no jailbreak or anything like that needed. I've unrared, again directly on the unit. And I've watched the DivX movies without any problems.
I've downloaded in the background of course, while multi-tasking.
I have to ask

What is Multi-SIM?

What Apps did you use for usenet stuff? Very interesting. Didn't know it was possible on the android.

Thanks

Alex
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #36
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
I have to ask

What is Multi-SIM?

What Apps did you use for usenet stuff? Very interesting. Didn't know it was possible on the android.

Thanks

Alex
Multi-SIM means, I've got the "old" T-Mobile tariff from 2007. I've got a data flatrate for my iPhone and can add another 2 SIMs without costs. So I'm using the same flatrate on iPhone4, Galaxy Tab and iPad. Unfortunately, it's limited to 3 SIMs. In 2007, it was up to 8 SIMs.

There are numerous apps for the usenet on Android.
Just search for "nzb".
I've got 2 apps: 1 for downloading the files and another 1 for searching and downloading the NZBs (directly integrated in the other app).
I wouldn't download tons of data.
But it's great for downloading a TV episode while stuck in a hotel for example.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #37
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
Thanks for all the info on the Galaxy Tab, very interesting. I am thinking of buying one soon. Looks great except for the battery life? But I am not a big reader, 5 ~ 8 hours is probably OK for me
Thanks
Without WiFi and other battery hogs, you probably can make 10 instead of 7 hours (if you only want to read for example).
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #38
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Thanks for the review and the comments.

While I currently have an iPad, I'm looking closely at Android Tablets and the Samsung Galaxy Tab in particular as a potential replacement as I find the iPad too big and unwieldy to carry easily when out without a bag which is not always an option.

I was pretty sold on the Tab despite some to the limitations, but am holding back till at least CES to see what's on the near horizon, as I don't want to shell out for a tablet and immediately regret it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #39
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Speaking of CES, I'm hearing all the bloggers screaming about "the year of the tablet", but have so far heard very little substantiative about any.

Is anyone here actually at CES, and have any early breaking news for us? Is there anything out there better/cheaper/faster than the Galaxy Tab?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You might check here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=CES+2...7f551f8262d809

starts tomorrow I believe....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #41
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I wish I had skipped the cheaper 7" tablets and gone straight to the Galaxy Tab. It is well worth the price difference. I haven't even picked up my Kindle since I bought this little LCD tablet. Considering that I only paid $100 less for the first Kindle three years ago, the Galaxy Tab is almost a bargain.

Samsung is introducing a wifi only version this quarter.

The biggest con is that the current Galaxy Tab will not be powerful enough for Honeycomb (Android 2.3) but honestly the Tab allows me to do everything I want or need to do with a 7" tablet and it's running 2.2.

If only the US version had the phone enabled I would drop my phone and use the Tab exclusively. It's possible to root the Tab for phone functionality but I'm with Verizon (no SIM chips).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #42
kbaerwald
BioReader
kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The biggest con is that the current Galaxy Tab will not be powerful enough for Honeycomb (Android 2.3) but honestly the Tab allows me to do everything I want or need to do with a 7" tablet and it's running 2.2.
Can you quote your source? I have read in a German IT journal of even moving it to Android 3 (http://www.computerwoche.de/netzwerk...eless/2356788/)!
kbaerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #43
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I think we're getting our names crossed. Android 2.3 is Gingerbread. Android 3.0 is Honeycomb.

There was a story going around recently that Honeycomb would require a dual core processor, but at this point, I'm pretty it's not true.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/h...-hardware-spe/
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #44
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Oops, sorry! I was multi-tasking and mistyped. I meant 3.0, of course. Everything I've read in the last day or so has stated that 3.0 requires dual processors.

Honestly, right now the Galaxy Tab does everything I was looking for in a tablet.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #45
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@TallMom That is just a rumor, Google has not set a processor requirement on 3.0.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote