Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Anyone here read Cecil John Charles Street?

I just finished a book that he wrote (The Chinese Puzzle) that was posted over at Munsey's ( they have 13 of his novels there) and enjoyed it. I was wondering if anyone else here had read any of his works (he had several pen names) and what they thought of them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of General Discussion and into the READING RECOMMENDATION FORUM.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops. Sorry Dr. Drib. I must have been half asleep this morning to have put it in the wrong forum.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem. Hopefully, you'll get some response on this.

I've never heard of him.

Are these mysteries?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

When I checked at Munsey's, I noticed that the author was Miles Burton. This sounded familiar, so I checked my calibre library and found "Death Takes A Detour," a book I put together and made available here on Mobileread!

There are three books I assembled that are still listed here at Mobileread.

This was 7 years ago, but I still haven't read any of them.

I think you just convinced me to do so.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Miles Burton was one of his pen names along with John Rhode & Cecil Wayne. I'm reading "Beware Your Neighbor" now. There are 13 books at Munsey and another 5 at internet archive. Happy reading Dr Drib.

Last edited by crich70; 05-30-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Miles Burton was one of his pen names along with John Rhode & Cecil Wayne. I'm reading "Beware Your Neighbor" now. There are 13 books at Munsey and another 5 at internet archive. Happy reading Dr Drib.

About these 13 novels you're talking about: Are there any different pen names other than these three:

1) John Rhode
2) Cecil Wayne
3) Miles Davis

Thanks, again.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
About these 13 novels you're talking about: Are there any different pen names other than these three:

1) John Rhode
2) Cecil Wayne
3) Miles Davis

Thanks, again.
Nope. All 13 are Miles Burton books. I'm still reading "Beware Your Neighbor". Village life will never be the same.

Last edited by crich70; 05-31-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I finished "Beware Your Neighbor" and turned to "Death at Breakfast." It turned out to be quite a good mystery novel. I had ideas of what was going on but got most of my guesses wrong. lol.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I finished "Beware Your Neighbor" and turned to "Death at Breakfast." It turned out to be quite a good mystery novel. I had ideas of what was going on but got most of my guesses wrong. lol.

I'll put that one on my TBR list.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
I am a fan and have read quite a few. He was quite prolific and the quality of his work does vary.

See
http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/pag.../Rhode,%20John for a list of titles.

My favourites so far are:

The Venner Crime (as John Rhode)
The Claverton Mystery (as John Rhode)
The House on Tollard Ridge (as John Rhode)
Vegetable Duck (as John Rhode)
Death In Harley Street (as John Rhode)
Death of Mr. Gantley (as Miles Burton)
The Corpse in the Car (as John Rhode)
Death of Mr. Gantley (as Miles Burton)
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #12
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

And if you like Street, you will probably like JJ Connington - most of his books are now available as e-books - see http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/pag...nnington,%20JJ

and http://thepassingtramp.blogspot.co.n...alias-j-j.html for info.

Also, a bit more on Street at http://thepassingtramp.blogspot.co.n...-of-cecil.html.

Last edited by mvo; 06-08-2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add another link
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvo View Post
And if you like Street, you will probably like JJ Connington - most of his books are now available as e-books - see http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/pag...nnington,%20JJ

and http://thepassingtramp.blogspot.co.n...alias-j-j.html for info.

Also, a bit more on Street at http://thepassingtramp.blogspot.co.n...-of-cecil.html.

Here's a whole turkey-load of Connington titles from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...J.J+connington
Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Are any other of Cecil streets books available as pd ebooks? I found 5 of his books as John Rhode and the 13 at Munseys and that's it so far.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
mvo
Connoisseur

Not sure about public domain - I haven't looked for a while - most of my Street books are paper books...

As a US resident, though, you can buy 4 John Rhode books on Amazon at a reasonable price per book.