Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
start a new page in an epub book ?

In a normal book, at the end of the chapter, the remaining page usually is empty. The next chapter starts on the next page. Can this also be done on ebooks (especially in epub files) ?

Right now, when I scan a book or convert an ebook, I save it as html files and convert it to epub. So is there an html code that tells the ebook reader to continue on the next page ? The simplier the better.

You know like when you want to start a new paragraph, you use the "br" command. Is there something similar for an entire page ?

Thanks in advance.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
In a normal book, at the end of the chapter, the remaining page usually is empty. The next chapter starts on the next page. Can this also be done on ebooks (especially in epub files) ?

Right now, when I scan a book or convert an ebook, I save it as html files and convert it to epub. So is there an html code that tells the ebook reader to continue on the next page ? The simplier the better.

You know like when you want to start a new paragraph, you use the "br" command. Is there something similar for an entire page ?
This will insert a page break in html:

<br style="page-break-after:always">
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I don't know what device you are reading on, but a proper epub renderer should start a new "page" (screen) at chapter headings. So, you can use normal <h1>, <h2>, etc. tags. I would suggest not forcing things with <br/> tags. That may cause problems and is not semantic.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I don't know what device you are reading on, but a proper epub renderer should start a new "page" (screen) at chapter headings.
Hmm... Proper ePUB renderers should start a new page when a new file (inside the ePUB) begins and whenever a manual pagebreak (with the page-break-before or page-break-after CSS properties) is encountered.

Usually ePUB creators split the files at chapter headings, but if they don't, the renderer should not add a spurious pagebreak there.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I don't know what device you are reading on, but a proper epub renderer should start a new "page" (screen) at chapter headings. So, you can use normal <h1>, <h2>, etc. tags. I would suggest not forcing things with <br/> tags. That may cause problems and is not semantic.
I use a Bebook (as stated under my screenname) and I already use tags like <h1> and <h2> for new chapters. I convert my files with Calibre (the newest version, 0.6.5).

So far yekim was correct,
<br style="page-break-after:always"> works. It starts a new page at the beginning of the new chapter.

The only strange thing so far is: The book starts with <h1> author name and the next line says <h2> book name. Even though the page-break-after command comes later, the author name and the book name are on 2 different pages. So the ebook right now starts with the author name and the rest of the page is empty ...

Also, I have to check what is if there are pictures included. I don't want to start a new page just because of a picture. But right now I have no time to check.

As for br commands: so far I always used <br/> to start a new line (not page) is that wrong ? Should I use </p> instead ?
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
The only strange thing so far is: The book starts with <h1> author name and the next line says <h2> book name. Even though the page-break-after command comes later, the author name and the book name are on 2 different pages. So the ebook right now starts with the author name and the rest of the page is empty ...

As for br commands: so far I always used <br/> to start a new line (not page) is that wrong ? Should I use </p> instead ?
Hmm, does the book name contain any of the words book, section, part or chapter by any chance? I remember one of files I was converting using Calibre kept breaking up on the title. Apparently, it was because it found "Party" in the title. If you're using something else to create your ePUB, then I have no idea what's causing it. Best way would be to unzip the ePUB and study the contents.

<br/> is for line breaks. If you want to signify a paragraph, the correct tag to use is <p></p>.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Maybe Calibre is automatically adding a page (file) break before <h2> too?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Maybe Calibre is automatically adding a page (file) break before <h2> too?
Yes it would. Calibre has a search routine that would do this automatically. You can use h1 one place to mean chapters and another place meaning the title and expect it to figure this out on its own.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
NASCARaddicted
Addict

thanks so far, I finally managed to solve the problem.

The new page between author and book name only happened when I used <br style="page-break-after:always">. And just to add: the author was h1, the bookname was h3, while the chapter names are in h2

So I looked at Calibre and saw the part with "pagebreak before". Since I use h2 only on chapters, I told Calibre to do a pagebreak before h2 .... and now everything looks fine.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
You may also use Sigil as editor for non-DRM epub files and include the page breaks easily into existing epubs. Never tried it with html, but afaik it should work, too.

Quote:
Did you add/delete anything between those two lines? I always have to take care of this, when I add the "style="page-break-after:always" first and the heading format later and use WYSIWYG to change a <br> into <p> in order two separate lines for author and title.
Check the source code. It's very likely you'll find a "style="page-break-after:always" between the two lines.

Quote:
So I looked at Calibre and saw the part with "pagebreak before". Since I use h2 only on chapters, I told Calibre to do a pagebreak before h2 .... and now everything looks fine.
Ah, forgot about this calibre option. Happened to me in the beginning, too.

Last edited by K-Thom; 08-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote