Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #91
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
My comments are based merely on common sense. If there were even a remote chance why would the faa let you even have any electronic devices on an airplane at all?
Agreed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #92
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's impossible to convince someone who has already made up their mind.
As I've said several times - I think it is or can be made safe enough (with certain limits) but not yet proven to be so. That hardly qualifies as already having made up my mind. I've said I'm open to being convinced - please do so.

Quote:
My PROOF is in the science.
What science? Please provide references and/or technical reasoning. Simple assertion is not sufficient (though obviously much easier in the absence of any justification).

Quote:

If you really are an electrical engineer
My degrees and career are in *electronic*, as opposed to electrical engineering (there's a difference, at least here in the UK).

Quote:
then you know it. You're just making excuses for your BELIEFS and for remote possibilities -- such as being hit by a meteor.
I disagree, and I'm still waiting for any technical reasoning from you.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #93
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Disagree all you want but the proof is in the science. I suppose you deny global warming as well. You clearly just want to argue about it as you have no proof of your beliefs other that maybes and possibilities and it could be a problem. I'm not playing games thank you.

There is nothing I need to prove and as I said it clearly will not change your mind in any case, suffice it to say that you are good apologist for the industry. Hope it keepd you in a job.

P.S. I must say, your user title is quite appropriate.

Carrry on.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-13-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #94
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Disagree all you want but the proof is in the science.
One last time - where in the science? You've asserted that there is a proof - please provide it.

/JB
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #95
kennyc

No, it's been discussed above and is all over the internet.

I'll ask you once more to provide definitive PROOF that your claim is true. Particularly in view of the fact that electronics is not BANNED on planes. Fact is, you are simply wrong and have no proof whereas the actually evidence supports that FACT that it is not an issue.

I'll be waiting to see your proof.
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #96
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This subject has already been discussed to death. I very much doubt that anyone's got anything useful to add to it that hasn't already been said a thousand times before.
As Harry said on page one.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #97
jbjb
Somewhat clueless

Quote:
No, it's been discussed above and is all over the internet.

I'll ask you once more to provide definitive PROOF that your claim is true. Particularly in view of the fact that electronics is not BANNED on planes. Fact is, you are simply wrong and have no proof whereas the actually evidence supports that FACT that it is not an issue.

I'll be waiting to see your proof.
You're completely missing the point.

I'm not asserting that it's dangerous, and hence don't have to prove that it is. I'm simply asserting that it has not yet been proven to be safe. If you think it has, please provide a reference. If you can't, then simply asserting that it's "all over the internet" is pointless - if a proof really is "all over the internet" it should be easy for you to provide a link.

/JB
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #98
kennyc

Carry on. I'm not taking your bait and I'm not paying your games. I've said everything I need to say.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #99
jbjb
Somewhat clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This subject has already been discussed to death. I very much doubt that anyone's got anything useful to add to it that hasn't already been said a thousand times before.
Indeed, and apologies to all for fanning the flames of the dead horse flogging.

Until the "of course its safe but I won't provide any reason why" crowd come up with something concrete, I'll not waste any more of anyone's time.

/JB
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #100
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Whatever the scientific evidence for or against, the airlines/FAA have already clearly indicated their assessment of the threat-level by choosing to rely on safety procedures that are based largely on voluntary compliance during the most critical portions of their flights.

If they're willing to risk the lives of crew and passengers during those critical moments on the honor system (because they're couching that risk against the possibility of annoying/alienating customers too much by the outright banning of devices) then why on earth would anyone else take the threat seriously?

"Take no notice of how much of a risk our own actions indicate there is. Only pay attention to how how much of a risk we tell you there is."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #101
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Well, there has been at least one incidence of electronic devices causing problems on the flight deck, but it was the aircraft's pilots so busy using their personal laptops, they ignored all radio contact for so long that it resulted in them overshooting their destination by 150 miles!

DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #102
kennyc

Ha! I'd forgotten about that one.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #103
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Whatever the scientific evidence for or against, the airlines/FAA have already clearly indicated their assessment of the threat-level by choosing to rely on safety procedures that are based largely on voluntary compliance during the most critical portions of their flights.

If they're willing to risk the lives of crew and passengers during those critical moments on the honor system (because they're couching that risk against the possibility of annoying/alienating customers too much by the outright banning of devices) then why on earth would anyone else take the threat seriously?

"Take no notice of how much of a risk our own actions indicate there is. Only pay attention to how how much of a risk we tell you there is."
Excellent summary! My feelings exactly.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #104
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Ha! I'd forgotten about that one.
78 minutes.

NORAD was scrambled. Eventually.

Not to worry. The FAA was on top of this from the get-go
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #105
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
My comments are based merely on common sense. If there were even a remote chance why would the faa let you even have any electronic devices on an airplane at all?
Ignoring evidence that electronic devices can interfere with electronics on planes isn't common sense.

By the same token, the fact that some interference might occur does not mean that the interference is *dangerous*. If a passenger in my car uses an electronic device that causes my GPS to stop working, there may be annoyance, but there is no *danger*.

But given that there are several instances (discussed in the other threads) of electronics interfering with a plane's systems, even though there is no evidence that the interference presented any sort of real danger, it is easy to see why everyone involved would like some proof of safety saying anything goes.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote