Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Laurelton
Laurelton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Filling a Custom Column with Auto-Incremented Values

Hello,

I've imported 200+ PDFs and I want to have this custom column of mine have values from 001 to 200. Is there a simple way to do this via editing metadata in bulk? I'm obviously new to this and lost. Please point me to an area/topic where might be explained, if do-able. Thanks so much!
Laurelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you just want to sort your books so they will always be in the same order you can use the date column.

Or you could make a custom column with for keeping series like information and use bulk edit metadata to populate it by giving all of the books the same series name.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelton View Post
Hello,

I've imported 200+ PDFs and I want to have this custom column of mine have values from 001 to 200. Is there a simple way to do this via editing metadata in bulk? I'm obviously new to this and lost. Please point me to an area/topic where might be explained, if do-able. Thanks so much!
The only way to do this is the one suggested by speakingtohe: use a custom series column and number the series starting at one. The reason: the template language has no way to access information for other books in the library and no way to update columns.

If you are python-literate then you could write a plugin to do it. For all I know an existing plugin might be able to do something like what you want.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you have the books and the number you want for each in something like a CSV file, then you could use the Import List plugin to do such an update. If you don't have such a CSV, you could export the books using the catalog function in calibre to such a file, then add the column with your desired values and then reimport it using Import List.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Laurelton
Laurelton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you all. The series suggestion seemed like the right way to go so I changed things around a bit and I think this will work fine.

Thanks again!
Laurelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert