Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Reading on the TouchPad

I was inspired last night to write a brief post on the 3 readily available apps for the TouchPad The post is a work in progress and I would appreciate some feedback.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...pad-an-update/

Did I miss anything? Please let me know. I consider the post to be a work in progress and I will be updating it. Thanks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I don't know if you missed anything, since i don't have a TouchPad. But I may get one soon, and I've been wondering about its potential as a back-up reader to my 950. This was a very helpful post, thank you!

ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've been having a problem with the Kindle app; with one book (of which I'm aware; I don't know if the problem is more widespread), the screen goes to white and is dead. I have to dump the card, restart the app, and the same thing happens. The problem was not with the book, which reads perfectly on the Kindle app on my Touch.

I googled the problem and I'm not the only one. It seems as if closing out all running programs will let the book launch and read successfully, but it's a nuisance. It mostly matters to me in that I've been indulging in a few good deals at Amazon not available in ePub, thinking I could read them on the Touchpad. I'm disappointed to learn that Amazon is walking away.

Don't know if I'll try hacking at some point or not. I'm a technotyro, so I could easily brick it. In a lot of ways, I like the WebOS and I don't really care about most apps, but I'd really like a way to read my DRMed ePubs. Then the Touchpad could be an all-purpose device for traveling.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the Kindle app on the TouchPad is "crippled" or just not full-featured? I was thinking of giving it a shot on a device with a bigger screen than my phone, but if it's not going to work smoothly I may hold off.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
So the Kindle app on the TouchPad is "crippled" or just not full-featured? I was thinking of giving it a shot on a device with a bigger screen than my phone, but if it's not going to work smoothly I may hold off.
That is a funny conclusion to what was posted. There is no indication that it is crippled or not full featured. What was said is that it wants more resources in the form of memory or perhaps processing power. Having a bunch of other applications running will keep it from getting the resources it wants.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Perhaps "buggy" would have been a better word to use? If it's not running smoothly and has difficulties opening books that other apps/devices can open, to that points to this version of the app. Might try it anyway, but if I can't side-load books from other sources to it, that's a big negative.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Sure you can sideload, the user community for WebOS rarely lets us down. And if WebOS can't handle it, then there is always Ubuntu. For PDF files the best choice is XJournal in Ubuntu. It has everything you might need. The Ubuntu setup process has been automated by a script now and runs in a card just like everything else.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-solution.html

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-23-2011 at 12:33 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That requires a hacked TouchPad, right?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've been having a problem with the Kindle app; with one book (of which I'm aware; I don't know if the problem is more widespread), the screen goes to white and is dead. I have to dump the card, restart the app, and the same thing happens. The problem was not with the book, which reads perfectly on the Kindle app on my Touch.
This seems to happen to me if I change between portrait and landscape. If I rotate back the page reappears. I've found that the solution here is to swipe back to the card view, then turn the Touchpad, the tap back full screen again.

Is this your issue, or are you hitting something else?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've not tried the Ubuntu approach for pdf yet (it seems a wee bit of overkill when I want to read), but the Adobe reader's useable now that a quick hack to increase the resolution on zoom has been found. See:

http://forums.precentral.net/3156924-post38.html

Graham
Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That requires a hacked TouchPad, right?
There are various degrees to hacking. It sounds as though at the moment you've not installed Preware which opens up your Touchpad to homebrew apps.

Preware is basically another app catalogue but with non-sanctioned development, including apps and patches. There's some very useful stuff in there.

In particular, there's the pReader Native Alpha app, which is being developed rapidly and should be more fully featured than the version in the HP catalogue. They can exist side-by-side (they maintain separate libraries). If you're having an issue with a book in the 'official' pReader, it's probably worth installing this other version from Preware.

I've just noticed that there's also a Preware app for Kindle sideloading.

(NB: I've linked to the web pages for these apps, but they're available via the Preware app directly on your Touchpad.)

Graham
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I've not tried the Ubuntu approach for pdf yet (it seems a wee bit of overkill when I want to read), but the Adobe reader's useable now that a quick hack to increase the resolution on zoom has been found. See:

http://forums.precentral.net/3156924-post38.html

Graham
I installed Ubuntu for RDP, easier OpenVPN, PressDisplay, and more language options.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I installed Ubuntu for RDP, easier OpenVPN, PressDisplay, and more language options.
Sorry HansTWN, I missed out a word above. I meant to type "it seems a wee bit of overkill when I just want to read".

Without even considering all the other things you can do under Ubuntu, I'd also recommend that approach for anyone who wanted to do more with their pdfs, like storing bookmarks and annotations.

Graham
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

I knew what you were talking about before... Just figured nobody would use a tablet just for reading.

But I will definitely try Adobe with the new zoom setting. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I knew what you were talking about before... Just figured nobody would use a tablet just for reading.
I do use it for things other than reading, but at the moment I'm covered by the apps available under webOS, with the exception of Zinio which should be along by the end of the month.

I may well have a play with Ubuntu, though, I'm an inveterate dabbler.

Graham