Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
njok
njok began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302,Iriver Story
Firmware 1.86

Hi!
I found this on Chinese iriver forums.

http://bbs.iriverfans.com/viewthread...extra=page%3D1
Try using google translate.
Do you think it is safe to upgrade with this firmware?
njok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
kafkaesque1978
kafkaesque1978 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story + Prs 600
That's some fine detective work, Lou!

Is it safe? I don't think anyone can answer that one (without giving it a go). Is there a RISK of something going wrong? Certainly!

I might give it a go though!

Update: I am going to hold off until there is some more news. http://translate.googleusercontent.c...deFwLz7xjKu88g

Last edited by kafkaesque1978; 08-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
kafkaesque1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
njok

My Story freezes when Screen Saver loads. I have to reset the reader.
It is very frustrating.
kafkaesque1978 how did you resolve your problem with Freezing after firmware downgrade.
Should i downgrade to 1.61?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
kafkaesque1978
kafkaesque1978 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story + Prs 600
I am currently running 1.71 and I didn't try the new firmware yet. As I say, I am going to hold off (there were mentions of the firmware being defective on the website you linked to).

As for your problem with the freezing, I don't think I can help. Mine has been working perfectly since I got it, and I hardly have any issues with it. I have reset it only a couple of times in what, six months.

I would hold out for a firmware upgrade. Either try the new one (very risky) or wait patiently for the next upgrade.

Alternatively this was my advice in another thread:

Quote:
I have not found any easy steps to fixing your problems. My suggestions are either wait for somebody to reply on Ivo's blog or investigate this page http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/Story and go ask at the openinkpot IRC http://irc.openinkpot.org/%23openink...03-18.log.html

*hint - there are some instructions on running arbitrary code in the samplecode.zip file. Be careful though, because if you don't know what you are doing, you'll probably make it worse.
kafkaesque1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
njok,
I've downgraded my Story to 1.61, and then back to 1.71, with no ill effects. (I did it because someone suggested some of the Story's limitations with certain document formats had been introduced in 1.71, and weren't there before, but it didn't seem to be so.)

Have you tried copying the version 1.71 hex file onto your story and letting it "update" - even if it is to the same level - to see if that solves your freezing issue?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
tatmattd
tatmattd began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Can someone post a direct link so I can download the firmware 1.86 as I am not finding it on the supplied links. Yes I may try and be daring and install it too, Cheers Matt
tatmattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

G'day Matt,
I haven't seen it anywhere either. But until it shows up on the Aussie website, which has proved in the past to be pretty reliable, I'm not going to take a chance on it.

I don't know whether the English-language firmware is the same as the Korean one (or Chinese or Japanese), or if they're separately compiled, and I haven't been able to get an answer on it from iRiver. Without a confirmed English-language one to fall back on in case something turns out unexpectedly, then I think I'd rather wait.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
tatmattd

Okay MacEachaidh, You've convinced me. I'll wait. Matt
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
MacEachaidh
Browser

Wasn't meaning to sound like I was telling you what to do though, mate!
Just saying how I saw it for myself.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
njok

You can download it from here
http://download.iriverchina.com/iriv...tory_v1.86.zip.

And here is "as Google translated" some kind of "Chinese language patch for Chinese input language characters"

http://bbs.iriverfans.com/attachment...1sFSqjGEOznoh4.

Yesterday i re-upgraded again to 1.71. (because of freeze problem). I did not test it yet. If it does not work i think that i will try to upgrade to 1.86.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
tatmattd

No worries, MacEachaidh , I just thought it was probably the best advice anyways.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Thanks for the link, njok. But I'm also a bit reluctant to try it out yet.

I have searched for a new firmware myself, and found one for the wireless version. But the download from the korean site did not work (file has 0KB)

The translation reads:
Quote:
iriver StoryW (KT) products dedicated firmware

● Firmware Upgrade Considerations
1. This firmware upgrade is sufficient battery power, please check first. (The one or more batteries)
2. At least 80MB of storage space around the product must remain.
3. During the upgrade the firmware on any operation that does not power may be the cause.
4. After firmware upgrade to the previous version does not support the downgrade.

● This firmware upgrade is available only StoryW KT products.
Top of ① [DOWNLOAD] Select the button to download the file to iriver_StoryW_KT.zip.
② To unzip the downloaded file. iriverStoryEB03k.HEX file is created.
③ StoryW KT is connecting to PC products.
Story ④ iriverStoryEB03k.HEX file of the product Root (first position) to copy.
⑤ PC StoryW KT products associated with the firmware upgrade process, you will be isolated.
⑥ When the upgrade completes StoryW KT is ON the power went out again.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
MacEachaidh
Browser

Is that a Google translation of the Korean, ischeriad? Some of it made me laugh out loud.

If I understand Consideration 4 correctly, it's saying there's no going back on this version. Once you upgrade, you can't downgrade. So waiting for a confirmed version is probably wise.

I'll admit I'm disappointed if the EB03 is getting a model-specific firmware update. iRiver's tech reps here said the new firmware would support both models, but an EB03-only firmware seems to suggest that's not the case. I was hoping the EB01 would benefit from continued development, at least for a while yet.

Ischeriad, in my search for iRiver sites I found the iRiver EU one, which appears to be based in Germany. It doesn't mention the Story, though. Is there another European site that does, or is the European branch mostly focused on sales of mp3 players?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 08-27-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
njok

I have "re-installed" firmware version v1.71 but freezing problem is still there.
What should i do? Any suggestion?
I am thinking of returning the device for replace or refund.
I will also try to downgrade to v1.61. (i will also not install 1.86 until is official)
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Yes, this is google translate on the korean site.

I do not know about iriver's company structure, and it puzzles me that the Story is not mentioned on the german page as it is sold here. Equally strange, http://www.iriver.co.uk/ deals only with the Story.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote