Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Post The largest dictionary and thesaurus for the Kindle – the size of the file is 80 mb!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z13UUO

WordNet 3® is a modern lexical database of the English language containing about 150,000 words organized in over 115,000 "synsets" for a total of 207,000 word-sense pairs. WordNet 3® groups English nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs into sets of cognitive synonyms called synsets each expressing a distinct concept.

WordNet® also provides short, general definitions, and records conceptual-semantic and lexical relations between these synonym sets. The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts is a combination of dictionary and thesaurus that is more intuitively usable than traditional dictionaries.

This Kindle edition is beautifully formatted and adapted for use on the Kindle as a fully functional dictionary and thesaurus and can be installed as a default dictionary on the Kindle.

For a limited time, WordNet3® is priced at $3.49.

Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved. For the license and terms of use please see the complete text of the license inside the publication.

==========================
Other dictionaries/thesauri from OSNOVA:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TG4NYC
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XDR6W2
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
Oh, I can download this 80 MB file to my International Kindle for only 6 USD (this is the price I see), for an unlimited number of times...

So maybe this roaming access is not that expensive?

I'd rather just have unlimited access to the Web. The browser is so crappy anyway that I can't see myself using it more than a few minutes every day anyway.
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiC View Post
Oh, I can download this 80 MB file to my International Kindle for only 6 USD (this is the price I see), for an unlimited number of times...

So maybe this roaming access is not that expensive?

I'd rather just have unlimited access to the Web. The browser is so crappy anyway that I can't see myself using it more than a few minutes every day anyway.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. It seems like you think when you are accessing this dictionary you are using your wireless connection in some way?

That is not the case. You but the dictionary, put it on your Kindle and then it will be accessed locally whenever you use it, either by doing a "lookup" in your kindle or just using the search feature of the Kindle.

Please tell me what buying this book has to do with the Kindle web browser?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
AndreiC
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. It seems like you think when you are accessing this dictionary you are using your wireless connection in some way?

That is not the case. You but the dictionary, put it on your Kindle and then it will be accessed locally whenever you use it, either by doing a "lookup" in your kindle or just using the search feature of the Kindle.

Please tell me what buying this book has to do with the Kindle web browser?

BOb
I was just talking about the initial transfer of the book to my Kindle (a file this size would have cost me 80 USD if I were to send it to my device using username@kindle.com). And of course, any subsequent transfers (in case I delete it from my device and want it back again).

About the browser: I was just saying that I'd rather have 80 MB of unlimited (i.e. any site) web access, since they don't mind sending me an 80MB file for just a few bucks.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ah... I see what you are saying. But, of course, buying a book is a bit different than browsing. Very few of the Kindle books are so big.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiC View Post
I was just talking about the initial transfer of the book to my Kindle (a file this size would have cost me 80 USD if I were to send it to my device using username@kindle.com). And of course, any subsequent transfers (in case I delete it from my device and want it back again).
Since the dictionary is bring sold in the Kindle Store, there is not need to email it to yourself, just download with Whispernet. If you are out of Whispernet range, download it to your computer and transfer via the USB cable.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How many 80 Mb books have you seen? I know only this one. The cost of delivering the books wirelessly is spread across all the books and is recouped from the books' prices (publishers such as I get only 35% of the price, the rest goes to Amazon). Plus for non-U.S. folks, they tack on some extra to the prices of books.

Moreover, if they see that this huge dictionary is selling well or if people start deleting and downloading it too often, they will raise the price (Amazon can do it without asking publishers).

When you send your own material to the Kindle or just browse the Internet, there is nothing to spread it across. That's why they needed to have a fee.

Last edited by osnova; 11-30-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
.... a combination of dictionary and thesaurus that is more intuitively usable than traditional dictionaries.
Osnova,

Out of curiosity could, you tell us how this product is "more intuitively usable" that a traditional dictionary.

I'm only asking because I can't imagine anything that's more intuitive than a dictionary. But I'm willing to be persuaded.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
AndreiC
Enthusiast

Yes, of course , I had thought about the cost being spread across their entire library so that any very large book will only mean a very small cost penalty (in their bottom line), so that using just a single global rule makes sense - hence my "maybe".
Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
AndreiC
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Osnova,

Out of curiosity could, you tell us how this product is "more intuitively usable" that a traditional dictionary.

I'm only asking because I can't imagine anything that's more intuitive than a dictionary. But I'm willing to be persuaded.
This IS a dictionary, only that in addition to what a standard dictionary has, WordNet also has a semantic network tying the words (by various relationships).

You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordNet

Or try it here:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
For a limited time, WordNet3® is priced at $3.49.
Arghhh.... you ROTTER. I've just broken my "no more ebooks until 2010" pledge!

Bloody Amazon one-click. Just too easy to do.

Oh well, no need to fall off the wagon completely. It was just a small slip - now, NO MORE EBOOKS UNTIL 2010!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Arghhh.... you ROTTER. I've just broken my "no more ebooks until 2010" pledge!

Bloody Amazon one-click. Just too easy to do.

Oh well, no need to fall off the wagon completely. It was just a small slip - now, NO MORE EBOOKS UNTIL 2010!

I guess January 1 will be a tough and long day for you, buying all the books that you wanted but wouldn't let yourself buy in 2009. Now, let's see what else I can tempt you with.

Last edited by osnova; 11-30-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Osnova,

Exactly what Adrei says above. The folks at Princeton have created a sophisticated web of words (synonyms, antonyms, hypernyms, hyponyms, holonyms, meronyms, derivatives, etc. etc.). The words are all interconnected. These connections define and refine the distinctions in addition to the definitions themselves.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Osnova and Andrei,

Thanks for your replies. I'm still not sure I understand how it works. Obviously, the best thing for me to do is to buy a copy and have a closer look. At that price, it's hard to resist.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #15
--abc--
--abc-- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (intl.)
Quote:
This Kindle edition is beautifully formatted and adapted for use on the Kindle as a fully functional dictionary and thesaurus and can be installed as a default dictionary on the Kindle.
Thanks for the info, I just bought this dictionary. One question: Is it possible to switch back to the Oxford Dictionary as default dictionary if I choose so, or not?
--abc-- is offline   Reply With Quote