Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
E-book future video

Has anybody posted this video before?

This 9.20 min. video imagines the future of e-books from both a reader and an author perspective. It's in French but it's easy to understand what's going on.

I like how they imagined bookshops. I guess in the early stages of a transition to e-books this is how they could stay relevant. Especially if they could provide localised content, expertise, and a great browsing experience.

What do you guys think of this?

grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
That's pretty cool. Some good ideas. Not sure I like the two screen thing though but I can see times when it would be interesting. Some of it was a bit idyllic... why would there be paper books in the book shop? They could carry so much more inventory with digital displays or kiosks.

That said, I didn't understand a word that they said.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's pretty cool. Some good ideas. Not sure I like the two screen thing though but I can see times when it would be interesting. Some of it was a bit idyllic... why would there be paper books in the book shop? They could carry so much more inventory with digital displays or kiosks.

That said, I didn't understand a word that they said.

BOb
I rather liked that idea about the bookshop. Some books you just have to have in pbook form, while you can also buy those other books in ebook form.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I agree, it could cater for pbook die-hards as well as e-book peeps. And even though I *love* my ebook reader and all that, I still love going into bookshops They could also have a kiosk or digital displays and online presence. Best of both worlds.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Some things could have been done better

Like.
When she took the picture, the camera should have transferred the pic directly to the ereader for viewing later.

Why they'd actually go into a bookstore to buy books is ??? for me. Just do it on your reader online. OK, when you are on holiday it is plausible.

And why "download" a multimediaguide, if the ereader should be able to take a pic of the object and look into it's internal wiki for info? Or it could scan the barcade of the object for info like in Japan you could with your phone.

The navigation with the reader is quite confusing. Locking a page and then browsing another? Maybe it should work like a webpage, which navigation is more familiar.

And when the guy was holding his ereader, I really thought he was looking into some centerfold pic from digital playboy.... So maybe another feature "stealth"-mode. Looking directly into the book, you see what it is. Looking from the side, you get to see some literature
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert