Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Bogus ads?

I was particularly curious when I saw this ad on one of the forum topics today:

I wondered... why is the Kindle being sold from a site in Ireland? ... does "ebid" mean it's an auction site? ... who would sell a new Kindle for $200?

So I fired up my browser, carefully typed in the address shown in the ad:

and got an interesting result:

So -- was the ad bogus? Did someone take down the site but not the ad? I didn't even consider clicking on the ad itself to see if it led to a different web address, but if anyone else sees this ad, how about trying it and giving me feedback.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
OK -- so I finally saw the ad again and clicked on it. I was taken to a simlar, but different URL from that shown in the ad:

Hmmm.... this one looks good -- $205.50 and they take PayPal. I'd be willing to pay that to get an additional Kindle.

But suddenly I find myself at eBay:

And the Kindle *isn't* for sale for $205.50; I'm only offered a chance to BID on the Kindle with a minimum bid of $208.00.

Guys -- this is not the kind of advertising that I would expect at MobileRead. I don't know if there's any mechanism for Alex to provide feedback to Google ads, but I would contend that up until the final web page, there was false advertising in play. (I'd claim a fraudulent ad, but I guess one is never actually defrauded because you haven't spent any money before you find out that the "seller" isn't actually selling the device at the price advertised.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've been seeing that too, and it actually shows up in this thread. It's a bidding website.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I"m getting the same ad...........interesting. Isn't it amazing how clever these people can be?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That's a good bit of detective work, Elsi. Thanks for pointing it out.
I've left a message for Alex about it, though I'm not optimistic about our chances of getting it down. But we shall see...
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Guys -- this is not the kind of advertising that I would expect at MobileRead.
You realize I am sure that Alex probably has very little if any control over the ad's or add content. Also, I think these ads are context sensitive. So, if we talked alot about diapers on this thread you would probably see diaper ads.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It looks a bit dodgy to me, too. I am going to try to block ebid.ie. It'll take a couple of hours, but then it should disappear forever.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote