Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #256
caneng99
caneng99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Kobo Arc to PC Connection

I had an issue with connecting to my PC. I turned on windows explorer and it showed the device but no sub-directories and would not load anything.

I reset my PC media device default to Windows Media Player instead of Itunes (or VLC can't remember) and voila it worked. Had the same problem on two different computers and same solution. All Kobo could suggest was that I reset the Arc - not very helpful.

Over new year Best Buy in Canada had the 32 and 64 gig arcs at $50 off so I grabbed one then.

I love it.
caneng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #257
Brisen
Brisen began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch, arc, mini
My Arc just arrived in the mail this morning, and of course I was excited to get it set up. I followed the instructions to plug it in to the wall & press and hold the power button. No set up instructions came up, though, just a battery image, which then disappeared. I tried again, same thing. Waited a bit, tried again, and nothing. Nothing on the screen and no light by the power button.

Is the battery just ridiculously dead? I've left it charging for at least 10 minutes, and no change. Am I just being impatient? How long should I expect to wait before I can turn it on?
Brisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #258
derita
derita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo arc
failure to start

I bought mine form a shop and it came with some battery life but not had any problems, seems to me if the charger is working it may have a problem.Can you check the utput form the charger?
derita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #259
Brisen

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Just checked it on my Touch and it says it's charging when the charger is plugged into it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #260
Brisen

I tried again, and it's turning on now. Phew! I guess I am just impatient.
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #261
nmackinnon
nmackinnon began at the beginning.

Hi, I'm new here... Even though I have autorotate turned off in my Kobo Arc Settings, the screen still auto rotates in eReader mode. Is there a separate setting for autorotate in eReader? One other question: Why do I have to be online to delete books? Thank you.
nmackinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #262
nmackinnon

Oh and by the way, the User Guide in my Arc is the Vox User Guide. I downloaded the Arc Guide online but it's a PDF so I can't open it in the Arc.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #263
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
"Brisen", re charging, I had the smae problem with my Arc. I contacted the Kobo help desk for clarification regarding charging time, they advised to charge for "4 HOURS", for the first use, which I did.

Switched on and I have been happily using my Arc now for nearly three weeks and I recharge when the indicator gets down to around 30%.

The Arc a great piece of kit, that I love.

Enjoy
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #264
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmackinnon View Post
Oh and by the way, the User Guide in my Arc is the Vox User Guide. I downloaded the Arc Guide online but it's a PDF so I can't open it in the Arc.
Download the Adobe Reader app (from Adobe Systems). You'll be able to read it then.

If by "ereader mode" you mean while reading a book through the Kobo app, center-tap with a book open, click the wrench icon (lower-right corner), then change Orientation from the default Automatic to Portrait or Landscape, depending on your personal preferences. No idea if you have to do it for each book or not, though.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #265
Brisen

Carpman, thanks for the tip. I don't think I did a full four hours, but it was a few hours anyway, and I left it charging for a while after it hit 100% charged, so I hope that's good enough.

I'm having great fun playing around with the Arc. The screen and sound are great, and so far, I like the Tapestries feature; I tend to organize things that way already, so it works well for me.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #266
NC1066
NC1066 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Download the Adobe Reader app (from Adobe Systems). You'll be able to read it then.
I'm brand new to tablets in general & the Kobo Arc in particular so please tell me where I find this app. If on the home page I tap apps all I seem to get are kids games.
NC1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #267
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
App drawer (little grid of 6 squares in the top-right corner of your Arc's screen) -> Get Apps -> Search (magnefying glass) -> "Adobe Reader". As you type out "Adobe Reader", it should appear in the dropdown with a red icon. That's the one to get.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #268
NC1066
NC1066 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Thanks JD. What app do I need to read mobi files?
NC1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #269
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1066 View Post
Thanks JD. What app do I need to read mobi files?
Kindle
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #270
nmackinnon

Thank you JD. I'm in Halifax too!
I got a Vox for Xmas and returned it for the 16GB Arc and I LOVE it. ( I'm an iPhone user too.) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Arc to anyone; in fact I have already done exactly that. Expecially for $199, it's very, very impressive. I would also recommend the SleepCover; although it is pricey, it is very useful and improves the user experience even more.
My wish list would be direct USB thumbdrive connectivity, and internet access via sync. I under stand the omission of the card slot since formats change so quickly ; look at SD for example. But USB OTG ( On The Go) would be useful.