Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
edheil
edheil began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet running Cyanogenmod 7
[Android App] Book Format Locations - Calibre Companion 1.7.1

Loving this app. Having a problem though, setting locations for book formats.

I go to Menu, Book Format Locations, click on a format and click on (Default folder), it gives you the "choose new storage folder" screen, and then at the top I see "/mnt/sdcard/" -- and a bunch of blank lines under it. If I choose one of those blank lines, and hold down my thumb on it, then I can see what is on that line -- I see the name of the directory. To navigate I have to hold down my thumb on each line to highlight it to be able to see it. It took me a long time to even figure out that I could do that.

Maybe this is just a font color thing? I have a black background here, and perhaps it's black text on a black background? This is on a Nook Tablet using Cyanogenmod 7.

In any case, this is an outstanding app and I'm thrilled to have it, rough edges and all.
edheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by edheil View Post
Maybe this is just a font color thing? I have a black background here, and perhaps it's black text on a black background? This is on a Nook Tablet using Cyanogenmod 7.
Woops. The text color does default to black; I thought I made sure it changed color where needed but evidently I missed something. I'll look into fixing that with tomorrow's release.

Quote:
In any case, this is an outstanding app and I'm thrilled to have it, rough edges and all.
Would you be willing to leave a review to that effect? The more positive reviews, the better!
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
edheil

> Would you be willing to leave a review to that effect? The more positive reviews, the better!

Done!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
GoghGirl
GoghGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
I was haing the same problem with the black text on black background. Was quite confusing! I noticed (by clicking all of the blacked out options) that they are all on the sdcard.

I was thinking of storing all of the books on the main memory of my nook. When I click the option to let me manually choose a location(and type in /emmc/My Files/Book) it says it can not be done. Is this a future update?
GoghGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoghGirl View Post
I was haing the same problem with the black text on black background. Was quite confusing! I noticed (by clicking all of the blacked out options) that they are all on the sdcard.

I was thinking of storing all of the books on the main memory of my nook. When I click the option to let me manually choose a location(and type in /emmc/My Files/Book) it says it can not be done. Is this a future update?
Yes. We will add the ability to type in an arbitrary folder path in the near future, but the "near future" is probably not this week.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoghGirl View Post
Today's release 1.8 has this feature. Steven didn't read my delaying-action post and went ahead with the work.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
edheil

"Damn it, Steven, you're a loose cannon!"

Here's an interesting question. What would happen if you selected a storage location which is *already* a place you're copying books to over USB? Is there any compatibility -- would Calibre Companion be able to see & know about the books that were already there via USB? Or does it depend on metadata, not just the presence of books in that location?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edheil View Post
Here's an interesting question. What would happen if you selected a storage location which is *already* a place you're copying books to over USB? Is there any compatibility -- would Calibre Companion be able to see & know about the books that were already there via USB? Or does it depend on metadata, not just the presence of books in that location?
No compatibility. CC sees only the books that it put somewhere. It does not scan for books already there. Scanning is a complex process involving attempting to read metadata out of books. This isn't too hard for epubs, but the complexity goes up very fast after that.

If the books were put in the folder by calibre then it is in theory possible for CC to read the .metadata.calibre file and get the metadata necessary to populate its database. We haven't done anything with this idea because we didn't think it would come up often.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
edheil

> If the books were put in the folder by calibre then it is in theory possible for CC to read the .metadata.calibre file and get the metadata necessary to populate its database. We haven't done anything with this idea because we didn't think it would come up often.

It'd be cool as far as I'm concerned, but I don't know if anybody else would be interested.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
It would have been cool, but too late for me. I've already wiped my old calibre destination folders and re-uploaded to all my devices using CC.

The only exception being my Nook Simple Touch, which, alas, cannot benefit from CC.
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote