Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
wentnorth
wentnorth began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Question My kindle 3 has been bricked for years, help

My last kindle 3 has been bricked, When I try to recovery it.
I think the file system has been crashed because of some improper operations(I forgot which item I chose in the boot menu!!!!!)

Who can help me to debrich it?

I think, to debrick it needs to write original system back into its ROM.
wentnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
You presented an analysis of yours, but did not really describe its current state beyond "being broken" :-) What does it do currently?

This might be a case where the USB download mode might come handy. But before your hopes get high: That will probably take some time and careful evaluation. While geekmaster (plus probably others, e.g. yifanlu) has done lots of work on this matter, his attempts were directed at newer kindles. Nevertheless, the "Fastboot Manifesto" thread has first hints for the K3, too.

I've brought my K3 successfully into USB downloader mode, but then failed miserably trying to dump the (e)MMC data. That was just a short try to test things, and I stopped playing with it at that point.

At the current point, it will probably need much more investigation and maybe some development work on a uboot for K3 USB downloader mode. This might take a lot of time, maybe it won't ever happen (sorry).

Another variant might be to use serial console access (on the K3, you can build a customized connector if you don't want to pop the cover open). It also will need some experience, but that route is described in some threads in this forums. I don't remember exactly, how to exactly approach the problem then. But in the end it's writing a working image into the system partition of the eMMC (what you called "ROM" :-) ).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
You presented an analysis of yours, but did not really describe its current state beyond "being broken" :-) What does it do currently?
There was one other bit of information in the original post: "bricked for years".

The type of battery in the Kindle does not last forever in the fully (or nearly fully) discharged state.

I would not be surprised if the O.P. needed a new battery by now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There was one other bit of information in the original post: "bricked for years".

The type of battery in the Kindle does not last forever in the fully (or nearly fully) discharged state.

I would not be surprised if the O.P. needed a new battery by now.
The ideal storage condition for lithium ion batteries is at 40% charge, but no more than 70% charge (60% recommended maximum, for a margin of safety).

Putting a kindle in storage with a full battery charge will also shorten its lifespan. The kindles contain a "shipping" script (also available in diags on some models) that partially discharges the battery to prepare it for shipping or storage.

There is a very interesting easy to understand document on lithium batteries that I read years ago, and I am glad to see that it still exists. I recommend reading this:

And now I see that it has an updated version available as well:One interesting thing is that lithium ion batteries like those used in a kindle start aging immediately after manufacture, and will die of old-age even unused in original packaging, so it does not help to buy a spare battery "for later". It is best to use a freshly manufactured replacement battery.

Most rechargeable lithium ion batteries are only good for about 5 years past manufacture, but newer ones may last up to 10 years before needing replacement (if stored partially charged). But if stored undercharged or overcharged, they can have a much shorter lifespan.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 04:30 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There is a very interesting easy to understand document on lithium batteries that I read years ago, and I am glad to see that it still exists. I recommend reading this:

And now I see that it has an updated version available as well:
While we have this topic shifted to "I ignored it for years"....

The Kindle battery charging is under software control (per: GM) -
So if the software is "bricked" you can't be certain it is being charged.

The Kindle 3G modem/radio is under software control -
If the software is "bricked" you can't be certain the transmitter is off.
The 3G transmitter pulls 2 amps during each "burst" transmission, so if it is on and "yelling for help" - your battery will not last very long.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
While we have this topic shifted to "I ignored it for years"....

The Kindle battery charging is under software control (per: GM) -
So if the software is "bricked" you can't be certain it is being charged.

The Kindle 3G modem/radio is under software control -
If the software is "bricked" you can't be certain the transmitter is off.
The 3G transmitter pulls 2 amps during each "burst" transmission, so if it is on and "yelling for help" - your battery will not last very long.
The k3 is easy to open with a jeweler's screwdriver -- no easy to damage "slide-snaps" and no glue. You could open it and remove the 3G modem from its socket before trying to charge the kindle battery.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
wentnorth

Quote:
I've brought my K3 successfully into USB downloader mode
Thank you for you explanation!
I have took the k3 apart to try to hack it via RS232. But it didn't work(Maybe my USB-to-RS232 chip was broken. I didn't test it)

I've read the " simple kindle touch (and k4nt) debricking method" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929). And I think whether we can imply the same method to debrick k3.

maybe It need more work to accomplish this idea.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
wentnorth

Quote:

This might be a case where the USB download mode might come handy. But before your hopes get high: That will probably take some time and careful evaluation. While geekmaster (plus probably others, e.g. yifanlu) has done lots of work on this matter, his attempts were directed at newer kindles. Nevertheless, the "Fastboot Manifesto" thread has first hints for the K3, too.

I've brought my K3 successfully into USB downloader mode, but then failed miserably trying to dump the (e)MMC data. That was just a short try to test things, and I stopped playing with it at that point.

At the current point, it will probably need much more investigation and maybe some development work on a uboot for K3 USB downloader mode. This might take a lot of time, maybe it won't ever happen (sorry).

Another variant might be to use serial console access (on the K3, you can build a customized connector if you don't want to pop the cover open). It also will need some experience, but that route is described in some threads in this forums. I don't remember exactly, how to exactly approach the problem then. But in the end it's writing a working image into the system partition of the eMMC (what you called "ROM" :-) ).
Quote:
The ideal storage condition for lithium ion batteries is at 40% charge, but no more than 70% charge (60% recommended maximum, for a margin of safety).

Putting a kindle in storage with a full battery charge will also shorten its lifespan. The kindles contain a "shipping" script (also available in diags on some models) that partially discharges the battery to prepare it for shipping or storage.

And now I see that it has an updated version available as well:One interesting thing is that lithium ion batteries like those used in a kindle start aging immediately after manufacture, and will die of old-age even unused in original packaging, so it does not help to buy a spare battery "for later". It is best to use a freshly manufactured replacement battery.

Most rechargeable lithium ion batteries are only good for about 5 years past manufacture, but newer ones may last up to 10 years before needing replacement (if stored partially charged). But if stored undercharged or overcharged, they can have a much shorter lifespan.

I've read the " simple kindle touch (and k4nt) debricking method" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929). And I think whether we can imply the same method to debrick k3 ?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentnorth View Post
I've read the " simple kindle touch (and k4nt) debricking method" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929). And I think whether we can imply the same method to debrick k3 ?
Yes, after we get the tools in place and configured to work with a K3. I have not found the "magic key" for a DX or DXG yet though...

But for now, the external serial port debricking method is the best way. Watch seaniko7's short youtube video that shows just how easy it is:

Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
wentnorth

Quote:
It must seem unbelievable to you that I cannot access the youtube site. Because of some political reason maybe (you know, Chinese are unreasonable, haha~~~). Would you help me download the video and send it to me (shangchong90@gmail.com) .

Thank you very much!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentnorth View Post
It must seem unbelievable to you that I cannot access the youtube site. Because of some political reason maybe (you know, Chinese are unreasonable, haha~~~). Would you help me download the video and send it to me (shangchong90@gmail.com) .

Thank you very much!
Can you download it as a .mp4 file from mediafire.com?

EDIT: As requested, it has also been sent as an email attachment to the specified email address.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
superium
superium began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
if you'are in china, you could send it to duokan developer group. they are pleased to help users to mend it for free. see more : www.duokan.com
superium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Buy a new Kindle for a mere $ 79 USD. Nothing lasts forever. Plus, new ones have much better technology than old ones.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not sure if that statement really needs a reply, but anyway, here it is:
That would certainly depend on a lot of context. That "mere $79 USD" might not be that mere for everyone, for a start. On the other hand, maybe fixing your technical device is a worthwhile experience in its own. Today I'm pretty used to it, but when I started and re-flashed a bricked gizmo for the first time, that was a great thing and I learned a lot.

And by the way, I really doubt the point about the "much better technology". Actually, your choice is "fewer keys" or "no keys but touch" - with the benefit of a smaller form factor. But believe me, some people really like that keyboard :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote