Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #16
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
$40 seems like a lot, let us know how you go, maybe we could convince to do a bulk order for cheaper per unit if there's enough of us Aussies that want to order (paying for our own postage of course)... Maybe they could at least knock out that set up charge.
I know I'd be interested
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
I did mention that I had some friends who might be interested but didn't get too specific. I'll wait a couple of days for him to respond, and if I don't get anything by email then I'll phone again.
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
I finally received my Kindle-2 screen protector. As I expected it is a bit smaller than the Kobo screen. Width it is less than 1 mm narrower than the screen. Height is about 3 mm less than the screen, however I will put it on with a 1 mm gap at the top, and a 2 mm gap at the bottom - this leaves unused margins of the screen unprotected.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
I did mention that I had some friends who might be interested but didn't get too specific. I'll wait a couple of days for him to respond, and if I don't get anything by email then I'll phone again.
You can add me to that list. I last night saw a smudge on my kobo that I thought was a scratch. Scary. I have a Samsung P2 and Even though I have tried to be careful it has several annoying scratches.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #20
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Still no luck from InvisibleShield BUT I was looking at the Kobo customer care website and saw that someone on there was discussing the InvisibleShields at Zagg.com. They're in contact with the people there and is going to find out about if/when they're going to make a Kobo shield. I posted about the problems that I was having and that I -would- buy from the US but the postage was criminally expensive. This was the response:

When this all gets sorted out, I will be able to send you Zagg's Invisible Shield at at least 20 per cent off - and I'll buy a few, and there'll be no charge for shipping to you. I used to work for a retailer here in California, and I had many overseas clients. (And my wife and son have visited your beautiful country.) Let's hammer this out with Zagg ... they WILL please us, I am sure. LEGAL NOTE: Yes, I am an affiliate of Zagg's, selling the great ZaggSparq2 6AH battery pack. But I will never misrepresent myself here - nor am I out to make a buck off of fellow kobo owners. Seriously. We need to stick together ... AND get the price a little down on the kobo. If anyone has any personal questions for me, my tele and contact info is all over the 'Net.

YAY! I responded by saying that some other people were interested from here, and hopefully we'll all be able to get the same deal (saying that, I have no idea how much the screen protectors will cost, but I'm feeling a lot better about this now).

Follow the thread at: http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/1985...=1#post_314017
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #21
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Ha! Speak of the devil. I just got an email from the InvisibleShield people in Australia who said:

The cost is calculated at the factory and yes the cost for that KOBO product is 24.95 + shipping ($9.95)

---I asked about the specific shipping costs and they are: Theres no ‘ processing fee’ as such – just the post and packing fee. Thats 5.95 for untracked post (at the users risk as its untracked), 9.95 for registered post (which we recommend), or 15.95 for express.----

The only way we can reduce that cost is if you were to buy more than one unit – ie if you and your friends all bought at the same time. Then I could arrange a discount for you all.

----------------------------------
I'm going to wait for the guy on Kobo Customer Care to get back to me on how soon Zagg.com can make the shields (since they'd be making them specifically for the KOBO and not custom-wise) and how much it will cost.

I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by Katdragon; 06-28-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Updated information
Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #22
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Ooo things sure have progressed, would love one if you could get more then one from the guy in the states. I'm sure local postage would be much cheaper then anything else

Sorry i never got back to you guys (exams ) after receiving my response from invisible shield in aus, as Kat said at $35 aus for registered post.

I also asked them about turn around time and this is their response.

Quote:
Our standard terms are that we would despatch latest within 21 days and we would expect to keep to those terms even for a custom order. (though it might take close to that time frame as opposed to standard product which is usually much quicker.)
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #23
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Nice work Katdragon!! Also getting excited - free postage to Oz? Amazingly generous of him!
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #24
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Update: Clint (the person in the US) is currently "harassing" Zagg to get them to make Kobo covers. He's waiting for a Kindle 2 cover to arrive to see how it fits on the Kobo (I told him that we've already tried that and that it's a few mm smaller).
If you guys are willing to wait, we can see what sort of price he can come up with.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Same Size as Kindle2?

I have a Kindle2 and my new kobo in front of me.

If I had to "cut" a screen protector for them they would measure ...

- kobo, 88 x 121 mm

- Kindle2, 88 x 120 mm

They are THAT close. I will let you know how the Invisible Shield for Kindle2 fits tonight or tomorrow. I have also ordered one from NuShield.

Clint Bradford
Mira Loma CA US
http://www.clintbradford.com
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #26
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

NuShield to the Rescue?

I like NuShield's protectors, too. And I can get them on the phone in less than a minute. They are cutting two of their protectors for the kobo for me, and I should have them by the end of the week.

Clint Bradford
909-241-7666
Skypename - clintbradford
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #27
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Hi Clint, thanks for coming over to fill us in
I can't wait for the results - how would you rate the NuShield in comparison to the invisibleShield? I haven't heard of NuShield before but my brother has the invisibleShield and is quite satisfied.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

NuShield, Invisible Shield Comparisons

I'll review both of them in the next couple of days. Both companies have "matured" in products, packaging, and marketing the past couple of years - which only benefits US.

Clint Bradford
Enjoying my Kobo eReader! http://tinyurl.com/kobo-ereader
Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #29
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBel View Post
Nice work Katdragon!! Also getting excited - free postage to Oz? Amazingly generous of him!
There's no reason I cannot offer five or so Invisible Shield screen protectors at $24.95 MINUS 20-30 percent - and ship them in one parcel in a reasonable manner to KatDragon for her to pass out to her fellow countrypersons.

One thing scares me, though: Is MY Borders.com kobo's screen and frame the exact same as those marketed elsewhere by others around the globe? That is one question I have not asked the kobo powers-that-be.

Is MY kobo the same as your kobo? (grin)

Clint Bradford
Old 07-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #30
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

Kobo customer service just replied - YES, a kobo is a kobo - no matter the market - as far as the screen and plastic frame are concerned. PHEW - one potential "variable" we don;t have to worry 'bout!

Clint Bradford