Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

Stephen Leather's "Private Dancer" Now in E-Book Format

"Private Dancer" is a novel of love, betrayal and death, set in Thailand.

It is finally available in epub and mobi format from Fifobooks.com: http://fifobooks.com/Catalog?bkid=87...2-96f50973d1a4

The story, told both from the point of view of a Western expat, and the Bangkok bargirl he falls for, is a cult classic, and regularly tops the bestseller lists in Thailand.

The book got great reviews from Bernard Trink at the Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail, both taking the view that "Private Dancer" should be required reading for all visitors to the Land of Smiles.

"Private Dancer" is regarded by many as the bible of the Bangkok bar scene.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's also available from Amazon for a better, cheaper price - only $3.19

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's also available from Amazon for a better, cheaper price - only $3.19

Don
True, but this is an opportunity for non-Kindle owners as well.

Also, our book is DRM-free, whereas the one you buy from Amazon is not.

Finally, the author gets more of the sale price (80%) through our site than he does from the publisher who put him on Amazon.

Last edited by dpapathanasiou; 05-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
b00kworm
b00kworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Librie
I'd pay an extra $1 for no DRM.
b00kworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00kworm View Post
I'd pay an extra $1 for no DRM.
I wouldn't.

By the way, welcome to MobileRead.

Please feel free to look around. If you have any questions, please ask.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Especially since the author had the choice of DRM or not at Amazon and intentionally picked it. Worse, some indie authors are now releasing two versions, with the "no-DRM" version (which was always the default in Amazon's DTP) priced several dollars higher than the restricted version.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Especially since the author had the choice of DRM or not at Amazon and intentionally picked it. Worse, some indie authors are now releasing two versions, with the "no-DRM" version (which was always the default in Amazon's DTP) priced several dollars higher than the restricted version.
In defense of the author, he did not self-publish on Amazon (where he would have had the option you mention), rather he went through a traditional publisher.

Those firms, with rare exception, insist on Amazon's using DRM on their content.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I wouldn't.
I'm a little surprised by your attitude towards DRM.

I see that you have multiple devices; wouldn't it be better to own a non-DRM version of that book, so you could read it on all of them?

Buying through Amazon means they have control of your books folder, and can remove content at any time (yes, I know it's been a while since they last did it, but the possibility is always there).

That's why we designed Fifobooks.com the way we did.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapathanasiou View Post
I'm a little surprised by your attitude towards DRM.

I see that you have multiple devices; wouldn't it be better to own a non-DRM version of that book, so you could read it on all of them?

Buying through Amazon means they have control of your books folder, and can remove content at any time (yes, I know it's been a while since they last did it, but the possibility is always there).

That's why we designed Fifobooks.com the way we did.

I do not share your single-mindedness for DRM-less devices or ebooks.

I simply buy what I want and when it is available. Then I read it.

I like to find the cheapest price, and then I strip the DRM out of it to put on my devices that accept that format. Most often, however, I do NOT strip the DRM: I just read the book.

So, I will continue to buy from whomever sells an ebook that I wish to read - be it from Amazon or from "Ebookieuses-R-Us." (The latter does not exist.)

You need not be surprised by my attitude; but if you wish to be surprised, then that is your decision, of course and I will not try to keep you from feeling that way. (I do not wish to tell you how to feel, as I am assuming your feelings are real - just as are my feelings about certain issues.)

All the above sentences are NOT said with any kind of sarcasm.

I wish you success with Fifobooks.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.