Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
ebooks in Australian stores next year

This item was on the Sydney Morning Herald website this morning.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...1020-h5ps.html

It would be nice to know a few more details (which stores will be participating, how many titles will be available, pricing, etc.)

Paul
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
That sounds a bit lame.

I can go to a shop, give them my email address and they email me a link for the book I bought?

I'd rather have a fully online store, or get the book on a flash disk. Or just continue using international booksellers and distributors.

I'll bet the cost still wont compete, and be some horrible DRM format that no-body uses or supports. I'm sure being pessimistic so I can be pleasantly surprised when it isn't that bad will get me in trouble one day...
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
They've been selling e-books in Dymocks for quite a while. So I don't know what all the "next year" fuss is about .
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
One of the advantages of ebooks and readers is that you don't have to go all the way to a store but can get a book practically instantaneously.

I see this as a backward move. And I predict it will be a big flop.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I agree, having to actually go to a physical store is ridiculous.

It would possibly only help traditional paper-book readers (that haven't used e-books etc before) get the idea to become e-readers. But then the store would probably lose them as customers after they wise up to the many online sources they can access from home.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I was reading about this at lunch time today and thought it sounded like a lame idea. Bookstore are getting pretty scared that they are going to get cut out of the loop.
Sounds almost as bad as Blockbuster's(or was it Video Ezy ?) idea to take your iPod into the video store to get movies loaded on it that you take home and plug into their secure Set Top box to watch it.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Assuming that the huge majority of e-reading folks have computers and that all participating stores must have, it's hard to imagine why a customer's physical presence at a shop counter is necessary. It largely defeats the object, no? Seems a step backwards, not forwards. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
One of the advantages of ebooks and readers is that you don't have to go all the way to a store but can get a book practically instantaneously.

I see this as a backward move. And I predict it will be a big flop.
I agree, it will be a big flop. Not a chance of seeing me drive all the way into town to go buy and ebook only to drive home and THEN finally download my copy of it - I'd rather buy the pbook online and have it shipped to my house, or not buy the book at all.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote