Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
The apparent bug strips single line breaks from TXT. SO... it's great for Gutenberg, as they have a break after each line and two breaks between each paragraph. Not so great for normal text or the preloaded texts.
OK, I'll try to give an example of how the 0.33g firmware is currently displaying Gutenberg files. As I said, the Ectaco text files display normally. Here is what "The Art of War" looks like with a 24pt font and landscape mode.
The girls replied: Yes.
Sun Tzu went on: "When I say "Eyes front,"
you must
look straight ahead. When I say "Left turn,"
you must face
towards your left hand. When I say "Right
Notice how the extra returns that Gutenberg inserts into a paragraph defeats proper word wrapping on different sized screens.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #17
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you see the 'y' on yours?
On this firmware, I only see a slim black border, about the same size as the L/R margins. I don't recall seeing any text with the previous firmware, but I do remember two little white hash marks at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the screen width.

Quote:
As for the full firmware reset -- yes, I did it, but I'm not the only one who has noticed the problem. So it's not just me.
Yeah, you're just imagining things again
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
jgray
Fanatic

Ok, no more testing for now. I'm going to get back to actually reading something on my jetBook. Novel idea, no?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #19
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Very fast reaction to criticism and bug reports. The company shows responsiveness to customers feedback. Good job, Ectaco!
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 AM   #20
boating
boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone
right now I mostly just want a serif font! My custom PDF's, while they look nice, are starting to hourglass every ~50 pages
boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by boating View Post
right now I mostly just want a serif font! My custom PDF's, while they look nice, are starting to hourglass every ~50 pages
Once every 50 pages, or hourglass consistently after that point?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #22
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
right now I mostly just want a serif font!
Me too. And actual bold and italic. I have emailed Ectaco several times about the need for better font support. They aren't telling me what they are or are not working on, so I don't know if or when we will see more fonts.

Last night, when I installed the 0.33g firmware, one of the first things I did was look to see if any more fonts were installed. Nope. When I download a beta firmware to test, I don't know what has changed until I try it out. I have asked for a changelog with future firmwares.

All any of us can do is to let Ectaco know what we want to see in future firmware (within reason, of course). The more they hear from the customers, the more likely something will be done about it. Ectaco is no different than any other company in this regard. Customer feedback is important.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #23
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Will the new firmware allow the jetBook to sort by Author & Title for mobipocket and epub ebooks?
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
Will the new firmware allow the jetBook to sort by Author & Title for mobipocket and epub ebooks?
Mine sorts by author and title by correctly arranging the file structure, coincidentally exactly like Calibre does it.

I use an SD card reader to load it because the jetBook doesn’t support USB 2.0, and 1.1 is really slow. I just save to the SD card from Calibre and it sets up the file folders correctly.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Quote:
right now I mostly just want a serif font!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Me too. And actual bold and italic.
Bold and italic -- yes. Serif font -- I don't care. I tend to read at the two smallest font sizes. I believe at the given resolution additional character details (like serifs) would only make the text busier and less readable. Maybe I am wrong... need to see it...

What I would really like to see is control over intervals between lines and paragraphs. Also, please get rid of this laughable 37.96% at the title bar. A clock or a full file name would be much more useful there. Speaking of the title bar, give us an option to hide or reveal it. At 5" screen real estate is too valuable to waste.

Last edited by alxab; 08-11-2009 at 09:58 PM.
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #26
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxab View Post
. Speaking of the title bar, give us an option to hide or reveal it. At 5" screen real estate is too valuable to waste.
You do actually have this option for PDF's. Not sure why not for other file types.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #27
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Mine sorts by author and title by correctly arranging the file structure, coincidentally exactly like Calibre does it.

I use an SD card reader to load it because the jetBook doesn’t support USB 2.0, and 1.1 is really slow. I just save to the SD card from Calibre and it sets up the file folders correctly.
I mean being able to sort by Title OR Author like the .txt files do. Where you use the Menu and select item 4) by Title or 4) by Author.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Me too. And actual bold and italic. I have emailed Ectaco several times about the need for better font support. They aren't telling me what they are or are not working on, so I don't know if or when we will see more fonts.
I have emailed Ectaco about the same thing, but have not had any response.

Quote:
Last night, when I installed the 0.33g firmware, one of the first things I did was look to see if any more fonts were installed. Nope. When I download a beta firmware to test, I don't know what has changed until I try it out. I have asked for a changelog with future firmwares.
Are you then one of their private beta testers? Just curious.

Quote:
All any of us can do is to let Ectaco know what we want to see in future firmware (within reason, of course). The more they hear from the customers, the more likely something will be done about it. Ectaco is no different than any other company in this regard. Customer feedback is important.
If customer feedback is important to Ectaco, as it should be, so is a company's acknowledgment of it.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #29
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Are you then one of their private beta testers? Just curious.
I emailed Ectaco after buying a jetBook with some suggestions for improving the product. I also offered to help test new firmware. They took me up on my offer. I have no idea how many others are doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
If customer feedback is important to Ectaco, as it should be, so is a company's acknowledgment of it.
Almost all companies are very secretive about the details of unreleased products, firmware, software, etc. Ectaco isn't doing anything different, although I do think they should provide a change log with each new firmware.

Keep in mind that other than allowing me to test some beta firmware, I have no inside information about Ectaco's plans for the jetBook. As I am not under an NDA, it is no surprise that they are not divulging proprietary business plans to me.

What little information I do have comes primarily from hands on testing of the firmware. After testing, I email Ectaco my suggestions and also post here. I did get permission from Ectaco to post about my experiences on the forum. It's not much, but I contribute what I can.

There is one future enhancement that was mentioned to me in an email, but I don't have any details yet. When I know more, I'll post here, providing I have Ectaco's ok to do so. I don't want to spoil their plans by speculating on future possibilities. If you ask, I'll tell you it is a cybernetic brain implant for your jetBook
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #30
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
jgray: Thanks again for sharing this info. Much appreciated!
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote