Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-31-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Palm reader Pro

Can anyone direct me to a link were can purchase Palm reader pro (without the dictionary). I have the free palm reader.

Thanks

dillon65
dillon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hey Dillon,

the PalmReaderPro is sold by Palm Digital Media. You can find it here:
http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/

and get more info there:
http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/reader/detail/4

I think the dictionary just comes with it, you cannot buy it without it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/reader/detail/4

the reader automatically comes with the ability to read dictionaries and a copy of the webster's vest pocket dictionary. you aren't required to install the dictionary to use the PRP, but you won't be able to use the reference and lookup funtions without it.
One of the compelling reasons to get the pro version is the dictionary. why do you feel the need to upgrade if you're not interested in using that? is it really worth the $15 just for color customization?

d'oh, looks like Alexander managed to post his response while I was composing mine. Anyway, yeah. um. so why did you want to upgrade without the dictionary?

Last edited by kezza; 03-31-2003 at 02:37 PM.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Palm Reader Pro

Thanks Alexander, and Kezza

I already have pocket Lingo, it is a nice little dictionary, and I have it installed on my SD card, so I didn't want two dictionaries.

I do have the amazing isilo reader, so I will just have to suffice with isilo, which is my number one reader.

Quote:
One of the compelling reasons to get the pro version is the dictionary. why do you feel the need to upgrade if you're not interested in using that? is it really worth the $15 just for color customization?
Kez, the colour customisation would not affect me, because I have a palm 500

I am going to contact the palm reader tech support and see if at all possible they will grant me my wish.

again thanks guys,

dillon65

Last edited by dillon65; 03-31-2003 at 07:24 PM.
dillon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:08 AM   #5
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

For what it's worth, the dictionary in Palm Reader Pro has a good feaure set for the space, even if you already have another one installed. When you're reading a book, you can tap and hold a word and look it up in any reference book you have installed (Dictionary, thesaurus, etc.). That's my favorite feature in Palm Reader Pro.
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2003, 10:03 PM   #6
jwy
jwy began at the beginning.

Device: NX70v
yup
i still love palm reader
jwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:58 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not satisfied with the dictionary that came with PalmReaderPro and am thinking to buy the Merriam edition (see here).

Did anyone else buy this dictionary?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:08 AM   #8
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
I am not satisfied with the dictionary that came with PalmReaderPro and am thinking to buy the Merriam edition (see here).
The Merriam-Webster 10th is the de-facto standard that most writers and editors (at least business/technical writers/editors) that I know use...so you can't go wrong. I take it the Merriam-Webster only works with PalmReaderPro? Shame if so....
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Yes, it works only with PalmReaderPro. Alas, it requires you to open PalmReaderPro to use it, so that if you are in another program, you must leave that program. I've asked at PalmDigital Media if there are plans to equip it with a resident lookup, and their response was that they are looking into it. It is, as you note, the best English language dictionary available for the Palm. radleyp
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

There is actually one alternative... Palm offers the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Tenth Edition, on an extension card. Well, no good for us Clie users, I know. Also, the screenshots look very "low-res" to me. Anyways, just thought to mention it.

http://store.palm.com/product/index....ductId=1164342

I think I will buy the Merriam for PalmReaderPro.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #11
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Device: Clie NR70V
I bought the Merriam dictionary last year. Found it to pretty slow for my purposes (those of you with OS5 devices won't have that problem though). MSDict was a pretty good substitute for me to the Merriam dictionary (pronounciation, sentence usage, synonyms).
volcanopele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 07:28 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Did you buy the Merriam for PalmReaderPro? Maybe I should better wait until I bought a OS5 device then...
Old 05-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #13
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Device: Clie NR70V
yes. I will admit that it was on a Visor Platinum but I didn't think it would improve very well on my NR70V. It is a nice dictionary, but if I have to exit the program to look up a definition, I would want it to fast. MSDict has a large dictionary and it is fast.
volcanopele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:19 AM   #14
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
To me the quality of the dictionary is more important than the speed or the inconvenience of having to open a particular program to use it. The Merriam Webster is the best one available, the only one, so far as I know, that has etymologies. MsDict is not on this level. radleyp
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Blake
Blake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX70V
I also recommend the M-W Collegiate Dictionary. I bought MS Dict, and like it, but the entries in M-W are longer, more detailed, with some clues about word origins, and the date the word was first introduced.

The M-W does have its quirks. PalmReader Pro supports the full screen of my Clie NX70, but when you launch the dictionary (by highlighting a word) the display switches to 320x320, and 1/3 of that is used by two boxes: one in which you type in the beginning of a word you want to look for, and a second which displays alphabetically adjacent entries. (So you can just type in a few letters in box #1, and than tap in box #2 when you see the word you want).

I'd prefer to be able to use the full screen. Yes, sometimes I do just want to *read* the dictionary, and not just quickly look up a definition.

Also, the dictionary uses the default system fonts, and *not* the font you've chosen for the book you're currently your reading. So the AGFA fonts you may have paid for when you bought Pro won't be used when you're using your dictionary or other reference books.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote