Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
cigarjockey
cigarjockey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just picked up a used PRS-505, battery dead

I was at a Brookstone outlet today and they had behind the counter a used one which they said the battery might be dead and had it for sale for $79.
I had a $20 off coupon from a prior purchase, so i bought it today.
I have it plugged it right now (been plugged in for 2 hrs now) the red light is on but will not turn on..try holding the switch for over a minute....no luck and also tried the reset button on the back for a minute too, no luck.
I'll let it charge overnight, if not should I just buy a new battery online, and is it easy to replace the battery?
Thanks for any input.
cigarjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
505 service manual
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26279

Sony battery for $26
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...item=LIS1382-J
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
cigarjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post

Has anyone attempted to replace the battery?

Last edited by cigarjockey; 05-14-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarjockey View Post
I have it plugged it right now (been plugged in for 2 hrs now) the red light is on but will not turn on..try holding the switch for over a minute....no luck and also tried the reset button on the back for a minute too, no luck.
I'll let it charge overnight, if not should I just buy a new battery online, and is it easy to replace the battery?
Thanks for any input.
Are you charging via a computer? If so, it will not turn on while it is plugged into a usb port. If you have access to a GameStop, buy a used PSP charger for about $7. You will have better change using a wall charger for a flat battery than using a usb cable. If you wanted to keep the usb plugged in then let it charge overnight and it will probably be ok by morning. Just make sure you disconnect from the computer before attempting to turn on.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
cigarjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Are you charging via a computer? If so, it will not turn on while it is plugged into a usb port. If you have access to a GameStop, buy a used PSP charger for about $7. You will have better change using a wall charger for a flat battery than using a usb cable. If you wanted to keep the usb plugged in then let it charge overnight and it will probably be ok by morning. Just make sure you disconnect from the computer before attempting to turn on.
Ahhhh, plugged into my laptop...will try when I get home tonight to a psp charger, thanks.
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You, my friend, are very very lucky to have gotten it at that price! It is going to be great, not dead at all, just out of juice. Until you go home, go ahead and let the USB charger work. Make sure it is plugged into the "main" computer and not some port on the monitor or something.

EDIT: Sorry, I just now saw that it is plugged into the laptop.

Hopefully, in a few hours, it will charge enough to show the red light. Be patient until you get the wall charger.

I'm so delighted for you to have gotten such a treasure!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
cigarjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You, my friend, are very very lucky to have gotten it at that price! It is going to be great, not dead at all, just out of juice. Until you go home, go ahead and let the USB charger work. Make sure it is plugged into the "main" computer and not some port on the monitor or something.

EDIT: Sorry, I just now saw that it is plugged into the laptop.

Hopefully, in a few hours, it will charge enough to show the red light. Be patient until you get the wall charger.

I'm so delighted for you to have gotten such a treasure!

What's funny is the former owner wrote his name / phone # on the back of the reader.
It's a # from Dallas TX...Long trip up here to NH.