Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #31
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
We can agree to disagree then. It just doesn't bother me that much, especially if it helps get people to buy Readers. But then again, not much bothers me at all.
Well, I never said it bothered me, I said I found it interesting. I said it reminds me of the manipulations that go on when people are trying to sell things. Not necessarily flat out lies, but twisting of the truth to lead you to believe something. Maybe neglecting to provide more information that would reveal their manipulation (Like the fact the books are available online for free elsewhere - so it's not really a $199 or $500 value at all. The disparity between the values shows their arbitrary nature. On the other hand, you could argue that thousands of free online books definitely do have a value.). I do think it's smart to remember that things are not always what they seem, particularly when someone is throwing a sales pitch at you.

However, I can admit that if I bought a reader based in part on getting the free books that I later find I could have gotten free elsewhere, that would bother me. I'm glad it doesn't bother you.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #32
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I know that a poor internet connection can cause this. My mom and I don't have this problem at all...
Dedicated high speed DSL - no problems with any other sites or downloads. Same problem at another site with higher speed fiber connection. Same problem mentioned on many reviews (one just this week by guy who bought the 505 and really regretted it due to the store; but was going to buy a new 700 solely to avoid losing his purchased books -- I guess he hasn't learned his lesson, just yet).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #33
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Dedicated high speed DSL - no problems with any other sites or downloads. Same problem at another site with higher speed fiber connection. Same problem mentioned on many reviews (one just this week by guy who bought the 505 and really regretted it due to the store; but was going to buy a new 700 solely to avoid losing his purchased books -- I guess he hasn't learned his lesson, just yet).
I have a fiber optic connection myself. But I have trouble following the logic of the man who bought a second reader to avoid losing his books.

Anyway, the poor performance of the store is just going to drive people to other stores. Although I did notice, to my surprise, that some books I was checking out were cheaper in the Sony store than elsewhere.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #34
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I have a fiber optic connection myself. But I have trouble following the logic of the man who bought a second reader to avoid losing his books.

Anyway, the poor performance of the store is just going to drive people to other stores. Although I did notice, to my surprise, that some books I was checking out were cheaper in the Sony store than elsewhere.
Yeah. Obviously, he either doesn't know how or does not want to remove the DRM so he can device shift his older book. But with the high prices, low selection and abysmal customer experience, the Sony reader has a lot of negatives to overcome (and all the fanboys in the world may not be enough to counter that, although they are pretty active on some forums, just as they were with blu-ray when HD still was around -- Sony has learned some from Betamax, but marketing alone won't cut it if there are alternatives easier to use and cheaper as well). Hopefully he won't end up with a fancier betamax-equivalent in a few years (and those betamax movies were a lot harder to move to another platform).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #35
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have never had any problems with Amazon/Kindle when it comes down to loading purchases. I was going to get a Sony 505 as a secound reader but if the Sony Store is so poorly put together I may pass. At one time the 505 was on sale for $200.00 and I kicked myself for not getting one but I really didn't need it because the Kindle fills all my eReader needs but I love toys and when the price went back to $300 I felt like I lost out. I am just so American, freaking over missing the purchase of something I don't need just because the price was right.

Last edited by pagansoul; 01-19-2009 at 08:15 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #36
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I have never had any problems with Amazon/Kindle when it comes down to loading purchases. I was going to get a Sony 505 as a secound reader but if the Sony Store is so poorly put together I may pass. At one time the 505 was on sale for $200.00 and I kicked myself for not getting one but I really didn't need it because the Kindle fills all my eReader needs but I love toys and when the price went back to $300 I felt like I lost out. I am just so American, freaking over missing the purchase of something I don't need just because the price was right.
Well, the Sony store is neither so good that it's a reason to buy a Sony Reader nor so bad that it's a reason not to. (The last time I went on, it worked perfectly.) Even if you hate the Sony store, you can get Sony-formatted books in many other places. Though I was surprised to see that their prices were the lowest around on a couple of books I was interested in. (Amazon not in the comparison.)

I love my Sony Reader for reasons unrelated to the purchase experience.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #37
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Well, the Sony store is neither so good that it's a reason to buy a Sony Reader nor so bad that it's a reason not to. (The last time I went on, it worked perfectly.) Even if you hate the Sony store, you can get Sony-formatted books in many other places. Though I was surprised to see that their prices were the lowest around on a couple of books I was interested in. (Amazon not in the comparison.)

I love my Sony Reader for reasons unrelated to the purchase experience.
I know a lot of people don't like the Sony store, but I enjoy it. Amazon completely overwhelms me, but I can find what I need on Sony and browse like I would at a bookstore. And I'm quite happy with their prices.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classics, free, problems, sony