Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
KC Hughes
Author, Man in the Mirror
KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle
I Don't Like You!

There I said it. I'm readig a book in which I don't like the MC. She's a reporter and, get this, named Lois. She doesn't have one likability factor or trait. I stopped reading it because she's flat, boring and not likable.

I just had to vent!

Is there a good book that you can reco, preferably cheap, with a character that I can like, or hate immensely?

KC
KC Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Check out the Reading Recommendations subforum. Your answer may already be there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
You have discovered the power of The Eight Deadly Words
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
KC Hughes
Author, Man in the Mirror
KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Taustin, hah! Didn't know there was a phrase for what I felt. Thanks!

KC
KC Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Hughes View Post
Taustin, hah! Didn't know there was a phrase for what I felt. Thanks!

KC
To use it in the traditional, proper manner, they must be uttered while flinging the book against the wall, there to remain until the rats eat the paper or it decomposes from mold. Deserving the Eight Deadly Words is the worst sin an author (or make of movies or television) can possibly commit.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
I love etymology.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
To use it in the traditional, proper manner, they must be uttered while flinging the book against the wall, there to remain until the rats eat the paper or it decomposes from mold. Deserving the Eight Deadly Words is the worst sin an author (or make of movies or television) can possibly commit.
Oh noez!

Thread in danger of turning into another rant about Thomas Covenant.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not as interesting as the Seven dirty words.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A Passage to India all the characters except one. That is how bad it is and how well the eight deadly words fit.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series... the two main characters Claire Randall and James Fraser the eight deadly words highly apply.

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged The entire book is based on the eight deadly words as they apply to John Galt.

Sure there are lots of books that these words fit. But these are just a some examples.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-01-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The other day I was reading a book where the main character was a real jerk, a blackmailer, basically.

The Paradise Mystery by J.S. Fletcher (which is a public domain novel and available here)

I actually didn't read most of it, but did skip to the end to see if he got his comeuppance.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
The single biggest reason I stop reading a book. If I'm not the least bit interested in what happens to the characters, there's no point reading further.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Oh noez!

Thread in danger of turning into another rant about Thomas Covenant.
6 books were purchased (the first two trilogy). 6 books were thrown away after reading 1/2 of the first one.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I like it

6 books were purchased (the first two trilogy). 6 books were thrown away after reading 1/2 of the first one.
The series does start slow. You should have continued (IMHO). The books are very good.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The series does start slow. You should have continued (IMHO). The books are very good.
I despised the protagonist.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote