Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Updating Calibre - why?

This may be a silly question, so flame away if you feel like it.

I'm a leisure reader with a Kindle DXG. I'm still on v7.42, it does everything I ask it to, so is there any reason for me to upgrade? Ever?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isn't.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Upgrading makes sense only in case of (a) bug fixes that apply to you or (b) major improvements. Otherwise you would be upgrading on a weekly basis.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I haven't upgraded since 0.7.47 since there have been no improvements or bug fixes that are of benefit to me (this is not to say that there haven't been any beneficial improvements or bug fixes). What I do is check the change log to see if there is anything of interest to me, then wait a few days to make sure there are no bug reports before downloading and installing. I always save the download, install it, then keep it in case I need to revert to that version at a later date (I've reverted only once).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just to offer a counter viewpoint for balance - I am an upgrade whore

Admittedly a lot of that is as a plugin developer I am usually wanting to take advantage of some change in the codebase to be able to offer a new feature.

But even if I wasn't developing plugins, I would still upgrade regularly. You might not see something immediately obvious in the change list (or even understand much of it) but there are continual bug-fixes, performance or usability improvements that often will become part of your everyday workflow once you become aware of them. They can be for the most subtle and intermittent of issues - like a problem with the cover browser causing Calibre to crash sometimes which a recent fix seems to have sorted.

Or a feature like downloading metadata/covers which you may find not working with older versions the next time you go to use it without the latest version workarounds...

Lady Fitzgerald's advice of waiting a few days is perfectly sensible if you are concerned you will hit a buggy release. There was a rather bad month a little while ago. However that is the exception rather than the norm - besides someone has to use it to find and report the bugs!

Having said all that - if you are perfectly happy, you don't experience any crashes or bugs that irritate you, are perfectly happy with the functionality you have and have no desire for anything else such as what the various plugins can offer... then stay where you are for a while longer
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I should clarify, I always upgrade *all* the software on my main machine to be at the bleeding edge, it's why I run a source based linux distribution (Gentoo). But then, I enjoy fixing broken software

For people that lack that little character quirk, I always say if you are happy with things the way they are, don't change them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
I'm a leisure reader with a Kindle DXG. I'm still on v7.42, it does everything I ask it to, so is there any reason for me to upgrade? Ever?
If you're content then the answer is no.

Reviewing the change log lets you know all of the new features built into calibre and if there isn't anything that interests you then don't upgrade. You might want to check this index of plugins to find out what is new in GUI plugins that you might want to consider using. Most of these plugins will be shortly updated to require calibre version 0.7.53.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I agree with most posts here, if Calibre is doing what you need it to do in it's current form, don't upgrade.

I for one, am also an upgrade ho! LOL! Especially with all the new plug-ins that have elevated my Calibre experience onto a whole different level! The plug-ins have made managing my library so simple and I say THANK YOU again to everyone involved.

Bottom line, do what is best for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Deleted.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 03-29-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Senioritis.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Deleted.
Senioritis - Lady F, very funny
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
I am a huge admirer of Calibre and of Kovid for what he is doing.

I see that we are presently at version .7.53. This would seem to demonstrate that it is a work in progress, working towards the eventual release of version 1.0.

If that is the case, is it proper to ask what the completed vision of Calibre might be?

Personally, not being particularly astute in matters of coding, modules etc. I am hoping that some of the fancier features of Calibre will become rather easier for the computer illiterati to execute, and that the manual will be a little more friendly to that group, which includes me.

That said, what Koval has given the reading community is huge beyond belief, and he is my nominee for the Nobel Prize for Literature for what he has given us.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNI View Post
I am a huge admirer of Calibre and of Kovid for what he is doing.
I see that we are presently at version .7.53. This would seem to demonstrate that it is a work in progress, working towards the eventual release of version 1.0.
Yes, and when 1.0 is released, it will be a work in progress towards 2.0, then 3.0, etc.
Quote:
If that is the case, is it proper to ask what the completed vision of Calibre might be?
It will be great.

Quote:
Personally, not being particularly astute in matters of coding, modules etc. I am hoping that some of the fancier features of Calibre will become rather easier for the computer illiterati to execute, and that the manual will be a little more friendly to that group, which includes me.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it. Calibre can do things that other programs can't because Kovid's not afraid to give the user complex tools to do complex tasks. He focuses on providing powerful tools, and if that comes with complexity, the user can always ignore those tools.

Calibre does have some semi-automated heuristic analysis tools and switch settings that try to automatically figure out what the user wants. Plus, it always strives to make the manual clearer and to automate what can be automated, but I doubt it will ever remove the complex Search and Replace, regex, CSS, template language, recipe API, XPath and similar tools that give it the power to do those complex tasks. Unfortunately, some jobs are just naturally complex.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Probably never

Because for that to happen, there would be no more new devices (some device drivers might require a 're-visit' to the overall interface design)

Users would have to stop coming up with unique ways to use Calibre
This is software at it's best (and worst, because of still supporting ancient (Calibre scale) version users)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thanks all.
Unless I need it to do something that it doesn't now, I'll leave it alone until the next major upgrade.

Then I'll let you lot pick the bugs out of it first.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Well, "Ever" is a very long time. There is an interesting feature introduced every week. Perhaps 0.7.43 or even 0.7.53 didn't bring anything that you find interesting at the moment, but keep an eye on changelog. Sooner or later there will be feature that will compel you to update.

I personally am updating to the new version as soon as possible.
This way I can test the software and report problems, so cautious users can get more stable software. And besides, I like being on the bleeding edge ...
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote