Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
5" vs 6" Screen Size

I read on a Sony PRS-505 now, and it still provides a great reading experience, but the contrast and touch screens on the new generation of reading devices is making me want one. Right now the 350's are down to the price of the new Kindles when you subtract the $50 of free books, which is only available until 10/30. I want one - BAD - but I'm kind of afraid of the smaller screen size. Holding one in the store isn't the same as reading in the bathtub for an hour.

Have any of you gone from a 6" device to a Pocket Edition? How was it?
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102615
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I read on a Sony PRS-505 now, and it still provides a great reading experience, but the contrast and touch screens on the new generation of reading devices is making me want one. Right now the 350's are down to the price of the new Kindles when you subtract the $50 of free books, which is only available until 10/30. I want one - BAD - but I'm kind of afraid of the smaller screen size. Holding one in the store isn't the same as reading in the bathtub for an hour.

Have any of you gone from a 6" device to a Pocket Edition? How was it?
I've had Sony 6" readers for years -- 500, 505, and 600. I now own a 350 and like it a lot. I do not miss the bigger screen, and in fact really like the reduced size and weight. In my opinion the 350 is the best reader I've ever owned.

YMMV
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I've had Sony 6" readers for years -- 500, 505, and 600. I now own a 350 and like it a lot. I do not miss the bigger screen, and in fact really like the reduced size and weight. In my opinion the 350 is the best reader I've ever owned.

YMMV
i completely agree. The new screens are so much better that I don't miss the extra inch on the 505 or the 600.

The portability of the 350 is a major plus. I can carry it just about every day. For the ladies: It even fits in some of my clutches.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Up until recently I had both a 350 and a 650 in the house. The 350 was for my Mother in Law and after setting it up for her I gave it to her this last weekend. I agree with the others on this thread--the smaller 350 works great, and I wouldn't miss the extra size. I really was tempted to keep the 350--the small form factor would be so much more convenient. Right now I'm using a large purse so my 650 will fit in it just fine--but as doreenjoy points out the 350 will fit in much smaller purses/carriers.

The only caveat--if you're going to attempt to read PDFs (especially those that are technical in nature) the 350's screen probably is a little too small.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I've had a 650 since the beginning of October, and just received my 350. I love both, but this time around, I love the 350 just a tiny bit better. It is small indeed, but the 5" display is so good that I don't feel I am missing anything. I may end up selling the 650
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
deekbee
deekbee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Haven't even got one yet (waiting for my partner to get around to buying me one), but thankfully our local waterstones has a few on display for demonstration. The PRS-350 is definitely a good deal, and side-by-side with the 6" screen models its the overall size that seems to be reduced more than anything else. It is quite beautiful. I just wish that they'd start offering the blue cased model in the UK.
deekbee is offline   Reply With Quote