Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Jailbreak for 5.1.2

Hello all,

Has anyone tried to update a jailbroken Kindle with the latest 5.1.2 update from Amazon? It is supposed to fix font issues...I would install it but I do not want to lose my jailbreak. Anyone have insights?
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
I installed it and my Kindle seems a bit faster. Existing hacks appear to continue to work.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Installed, working. Jailbreak is kept. There may be a few issues popping up here and there, but let's wait and see.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
So perhaps we can just skip trying to support 5.1.1 images then, and just have 5.0.0 and 5.1.2. Less choices means less confusion. You can backstep all the way, then update, or just go with the newest.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Installed, working. Jailbreak is kept. There may be a few issues popping up here and there, but let's wait and see.
But did they keep the WEB jailbreak? If anything SHOULD break, it should be that one.

EDIT: Web jailbreak confirmed "broken" (i.e. security hole fixed): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2160841

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So perhaps we can just skip trying to support 5.1.1 images then, and just have 5.0.0 and 5.1.2. Less choices means less confusion. You can backstep all the way, then update, or just go with the newest.
Totally agree. As 5.1.1 images have only been publicly available for a few hours anyway, I don't think anybody really looked into it much anyway. Good timing on behalf of Amazon!

We should keep the diags with SSH from 5.1.0 though - they are reliable and working, and all updates that I've seen so far don't touch the diags partition anyway.

Since my Kindle is almost factory-fresh because of the recent brick, I'll take care of creating the main images for 5.1.2.

Should I create a "pristine" one only, or also a "commodity start" one with JB and usbnetwork preinstalled?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Maybe if you just (as in only) annouce a JBPatch for 5.1.2 tomorrow, maybe Lab126 can crank out a 5.2.0 by Friday.

Yes - did read the report that said the current one is working on 5.1.2 - Just wanted to poke at Amazon/lab126 a bit, maybe that crew needs some over-time for summer holidays.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Should I create a "pristine" one only, or also a "commodity start" one with JB and usbnetwork preinstalled?
I would like both ("factory fresh stock firmware", and "fully customized firmware with all the standard hacks"). IMHO, of course.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Of course an update comes out right when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no internet access & no cell reception, it's funnier that way...

But, yeah, other than closing the browser exploit, it looks pretty mild...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
How the heck do I manage to brick my KT JUST before a new firmware is released?!?
5.0.4 => Fixed myself
5.1.0 => Thread "fastboot not working"
5.1.2 => Well... working on getting it to work. Be back in a few hours, I hope.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote