Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
problem with h1 h2 headers for 4 stories in 1 book

i spent ages trying to understand a possible bug / restriction on using nested headers last night. eventually I found a work-around but not a full solution:

i had 2 free kindle books, each a compilation of 4 novels.
as there as only very basic navigation, I regex them into having h2 chapter headers & h1 book titles
I gett his looking fine in sigil but then in ADE/on Sony I see only the 1st of the 4 books in TOC.
lots more trial and error showed that ADE quits displaying TOC as soon as It hits the end of initial toc nesting,
so if as a test I add nesting to chapter 1 i.e. i set up
h1 book 1 title
h3 chapter 1
h2 chapter 2...
then see nothing except chapter 1 in ADE toc.

I ran flightcrew & found no errors

the workaround seems to be to begin the toc with an H2 line - see below, but I don't get why that worked & why, when I remove that entry+ associated xhtml, the book screws up again in ADE

are their nesting rules for ADE that neither I nor flightcrew/sigil are aware of ?

PS could be red herring but I see that sigil adds id="heading_id_2" to very header style, if I remove them it puts them back , and I thought that those things had to be unique, not same in every header
Code:
<head>
  <title>Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1</title>
  <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
  <style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/

@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }
  /*]]>*/
  </style>
</head>

<body class="calibre">
  <h2 class="calibre1" id="heading_id_2"><span>Scott Nicholson</span></h2>
</body>
</html>
BOOKS WORKS WITH ABOVE PAGE ADDED AT START BUT NOT WHEN I REMOVE IT !
Code:
<head>
    <meta content="81dcf945-7e86-4d21-9913-89758eadbc66" name="dtb:uid"/>
    <meta content="2" name="dtb:depth"/>
    <meta content="0" name="dtb:totalPageCount"/>
    <meta content="0" name="dtb:maxPageNumber"/>
  </head>
  <docTitle>
    <text>Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1</text>
  </docTitle>
  <navMap>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
      <navLabel>
        <text>Scott Nicholson</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/CR%21B4SPNEKEZD7Z9922DKY5ATX28VTF_split_002_split_001.html"/>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-2" playOrder="2">
      <navLabel>
        <text>THE RED CHURCH</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml"/>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-3" playOrder="3">
        <navLabel>
          <text>CHAPTER ONE</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_2"/>
      </navPoint>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-4" playOrder="4">
        <navLabel>
          <text>CHAPTER TWO</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/CR%21B4SPNEKEZD7Z9922DKY5ATX28VTF_split_003.html"/>
      </navPoint>

Last edited by cybmole; 02-08-2012 at 02:28 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I assume you already recreated the TOC and that validation gives no error right? I can imagine that this is an issue if I understand correctly. It is like having leaves without a branch. Let's see if I understand you correctly.

You want:
Code:
<h1>.....
    <h3>....
  <h2>...
which doesn't work. The following 'work-around' does work:
Code:
<h1>
  <h2>work around
    <h3>....
  <h2>
The tree is intact.

If this is what you want, you can solve it in another way. In your document which contains the <h3> put a hidden <h2> tag in front of it and regenerate the TOC. It is not visible, but is in the structure. I assume there will be an empty line in the TOC for that empty header (you could solve it with the name attribute). You might want to delete the entry from the TOC, but I have the feeling that will not work.

Last edited by Toxaris; 02-08-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: indents automatically removed...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

almost

i wanted
Code:
<h1
 <h2
 <h2...
<h1
 <h2
 <h2...
but that, in ADE stops before the 2nd h1. ( please ignore talk of using h3, that was just part of my trial & error testing.). Also, in ADE, I'd see only the h2 labels, not the 1st h1 label, in the ADE toc.

so 1st issue is what that is acceptable to sigil / flightcrew but not to ADE. I am using sigil to generate the toc. I am not building it by hand.
2nd issue - the workaround. If I precede the above code with a <h2 & rebuild the toc, then all is OK. so why is that ?

i.e. the working structure , for ADE, has to be
collection title (h2)
book1 title (h1)
book 1 chapters (h2)
book 2 title (h1)
book 2 chapters (h2)....

the collection title cannot be h1 or missing, in ADE, but sigil/flightcrew allow it

Last edited by cybmole; 02-08-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard

here is avery simple bug demo "book". Created entirely with Sigil 0.4.2.
just open it in ADE & see that TOC is wrong, ( but it is OK is sigil)
the entire "book" is just
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>

<body>
  <h1 id="heading_id_2">book1</h1>

<h2 id="heading_id_3">chapter 1</h2>

<p>text</p>

<h2 id="heading_id_4">chapter 2</h2>

<p>text</p>

<h1 id="heading_id_5">book2</h1>

<p><br /></p>

<h2 id="heading_id_6">chapter 1</h2>

<p>text</p>

<h2 id="heading_id_7">chapter 2</h2>

<p>text</p>

<h1 id="heading_id_8">book3</h1>

<h2 id="heading_id_9">chapter 1</h2>

<p>text</p>

<h2 id="heading_id_10">chapter 2</h2>

<p>text</p>
</body>
</html>
with a sigil generated toc:
Code:
 <docTitle>
    <text>Unknown</text>
  </docTitle>
  <navMap>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
      <navLabel>
        <text>book1</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml" />
      <navPoint id="navPoint-2" playOrder="2">
        <navLabel>
          <text>chapter 1</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_3" />
      </navPoint>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-3" playOrder="3">
        <navLabel>
          <text>chapter 2</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_4" />
      </navPoint>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-4" playOrder="4">
      <navLabel>
        <text>book2</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_5" />
      <navPoint id="navPoint-5" playOrder="5">
        <navLabel>
          <text>chapter 1</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_6" />
      </navPoint>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-6" playOrder="6">
        <navLabel>
          <text>chapter 2</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_7" />
      </navPoint>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-7" playOrder="7">
      <navLabel>
        <text>book3</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_8" />
      <navPoint id="navPoint-8" playOrder="8">
        <navLabel>
          <text>chapter 1</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_9" />
      </navPoint>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-9" playOrder="9">
        <navLabel>
          <text>chapter 2</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_10" />
      </navPoint>
    </navPoint>
  </navMap>
</ncx>
all I see in ADE toc is 2 entries:
chapter1
chapter2

So sigil & ADE have a fundamental disagreement over toc in this case.
Attached Files
File Type: epub toc bug demo book.epub (1.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange, I will check tonight with both your example and some of my books. I am convinced that I used that construction myself for several books.

I agree that this should work without a problem.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Strange, I will check tonight with both your example and some of my books. I am convinced that I used that construction myself for several books.

I agree that this should work without a problem.
yes, I thought I'd seen it work before, but when I trawled my calibre library for previously read examples they always had a h2 or smaller before the 1st <h1.

let's stay with the simple test case construct, as this ADE issue is clearly not a consequence of the original mobi structure/calibre conversion of the books I started with ( which incidentally have now reverted from "free" to about £3 each on Amazon ).
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
The TOC in your demo epub shows fine in ADE on my computer, I think you might be looking at a problem in ADE and not Sigil (god I hate ADE, I just had a problem with it where it would take about 30 minutes to open).
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
The TOC in your demo epub shows fine in ADE on my computer, I think you might be looking at a problem in ADE and not Sigil (god I hate ADE, I just had a problem with it where it would take about 30 minutes to open).
well that is strange.
I am using windows 7 64 bit Sp1 & what I think is latest ADE, cannot see an ade version number, but the installer properties says 1.7.

NB I see the entire demo "book" on main book pane OK but all I see in toc pane is title unknown & then
chapter 1
chapter 2

I was testing this bug by sending files to my Sony prs650 reader but it's much quicker to test in desktop ADE as usually that gives same results as the sony.
so I right click the file, select open with ... ADE ( or from calibre I have a ready made keyboard shortcut to open with ADE. I don't actually add the test file to an ADE library as such.

let me drop that test file into calibre & send to Sony reader....well it's OK there, so as you suggest, it is a bug in ADE desktop software.
I can live with that, I've no idea how/ where to report it, but my methodology of using ADE as a proxy for how stuff will appear on the Sony reader now needs a rethink!

Last edited by cybmole; 02-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Do you by any chance have any other reader software on your PC? The problem I was having seemed to be caused the old version of Sony's Reader Library software I had installed (Sony's software uses the ADE rendering engine).
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The sample displays the TOC as expected in my ADE Desktop (v1.7.2.1131).

Quote:
PS could be red herring but I see that sigil adds id="heading_id_2" to very header style, if I remove them it puts them back , and I thought that those things had to be unique, not same in every header
They only have to be unique in each document. So if you had a separate document for each chapter (section), it wouldn't be surprising that the same id was being recycled over and over. If it was a single xhtml document that had duplicate ids... that would be a problem.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

i have only calibre, ADE, Sigil, no sony reader library software.

I did a re-download/ repair of ADE v1.7.2. - made no difference.- maybe the bug is O/S specific ?.
I could try a complete clean uninstall/ reinstall of ADE, but I have no other problems with ADE so I doubt that the install is faulty.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ducks has not seen any problem with nested H tags on my PEz (ADE)

I routinely use

h1 Book
h3 Chapter 1
h3 Chapter 2
h1 Book 2

(I save h2 for when books have 'Parts' or When the book is now an Omnibus and has its own title, the Parts become the old books name)
h4 is used for books with sub-chapters? ('Meanwhile, back in Philly....')

I have heard rumors that some (ADE) devices won't show the first H1 if nests follow

The only reason for using any particular H tag is nesting order. Size and weight can be adjusted in the stylesheet (Display on one lane, dang-it! )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

i found an ADE bug report elsewhere on this website that relates to having multple H2, H3 but exactly one instance of H1. that does not fit my case.

I tried uninstall of ADE1.7 & ADE 1.8 preview then reinstall of 1.7.2. no change.

if this is a pure ADE +win 7 bug & neither sigil nor my Sony reader are affected then it is no big deal, though it would be comforting if someone, somewhere could reproduce what I am seeing.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

You example works fine in my version of ADE. I run on W7 SP1 x64 and ADE 1.7.2.1131.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You example works fine in my version of ADE. I run on W7 SP1 x64 and ADE 1.7.2.1131.
'
weird = that's a perfect match - I've no idea how to diagnose this further ...
but after yet another uninstall / reinstall ADE cycle, I am also OK now.
according to revo uninstaller, I had both 1.7 and 1.8 preview.
now it says I have just the one install & all is OK - time to move on & read some books methinks.
thanks to all for their input & testing.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-08-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Tags
chapters