Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Yellowman1
Yellowman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Unhappy HELP PLEASE!!! Unbricking EE

I need urgent help unbricking my EE. I upgraded from Dingo to Ermine (loved it) and I decided to try Vicni's Ermine tweaks. That successfully installed so I decided to revert to stock Ermine. I couldn't revert to stock from Vicinc's so I decided to downgrade to Dingo and then go back to stock Ermine. Well, golden update wasn't working for me, so I tried Emusan's modified golden update. It did install for the first part (i.e. hung up for 20 minutes or more), I took the battery out (as instructed on Entourage's website), and since then my e-Ink side has been stuck at "Initializing" and my Touch screen side is totally blank. I have tried several times to restart the process, doing menu+rotate several times, changed from sdcard (which is what I was using originally) to usb, no deal. The screen stays blank and I have /see nothing happening.

Please any help will be greatly appreciated. I just discovered this site 4/5 days ago, I just upgraded my EE to Froyo 2.2. (and just started loving the unit), and now this...? Help me, I don't want to lose my new found love for my EE!
Yellowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
ACK! Wan't Emusan's update for the Pocket eDGe?

I would go download the EE update and see if you can modify it along the lines suggested by darkgrue.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Yellowman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
ACK! Wan't Emusan's update for the Pocket eDGe?

I would go download the EE update and see if you can modify it along the lines suggested by darkgrue.
Yes, Emusan's update is for the PE (I realized that too late). I have downloaded the golden update from Entourage, but I haven't modified it as suggest by Darkgrue (I'm not that tech savvy, but I'll give it a try later today, what's the worst that can happen now..., my EE will blow both of us "To Infinity & Beyond!!! - using Buzz Lightyear voice. LOL).

I needed the laugh. Thanks for your response Kennyminot.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Don't forget to download notepad++ to edit the script file:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Also, if you managed to edit it (and it works), let us know, so we can upload it somewhere for other folk.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Yellowman1

I'll let everyone know what happens with trying to revive it and if I get it working again. If I don't get it working, whoever is a hardware techie that wants to give it a try can PM me and I will send it it to you, provided you promise to return it to me working or as is (so that I can use it as a very expensive door stopper or paper weight, :-) ).

I do get a clicking sound (like the system usually makes when it is coming on or executing an update command) when I turn it on or try running an update, I just don't see anything on the touch screen side, and the e-ink side is permanently on "Initializing" (even when there is absolutely no battery in it...., what the "H" is it initializing, or is that just meant to torment me some more, like "na nana na na - gotcha! :-) LMBO).
Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
The e-ink only changes when it is told to by the software. You could leave it unpowered for years and it would still show the same message.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I edited my post in the other thread with this info, but if you don't want to look it up again here is the link to the EE modified golden update: link (this goes through adfly as well).
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
Yellowman1

Thanks Emusan, I tried the EE golden update you made but that still didn't revive my EE (I can't see anything on the touchscreen side so I don't know if it's doing anything). I guess I'll try and see if there is any hardware techie out here that wants to take a shot at fixing it (if none, then I'll try BestBuy Geek Squad).
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman1 View Post
Thanks Emusan, I tried the EE golden update you made but that still didn't revive my EE (I can't see anything on the touchscreen side so I don't know if it's doing anything). I guess I'll try and see if there is any hardware techie out here that wants to take a shot at fixing it (if none, then I'll try BestBuy Geek Squad).
sorry to hear that, I doubt that the geek squad will be able to do anything, the ones I know are all quite bad with technology. It sounds like the cable connecting your LCD to the main circuit board might have gotten cut or snapped, it may be replaceable, though you would need to be quite good with a soldering iron...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote