Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What does the device do when you say "it starts freaking out"?
The first one had this strange volume issue, when I pressed the + the volume went down, until it muted about 5 times and then it would go back up, but then it would go down again when I stopped it. The second one, when I'm shopping for a book, it will just start popping up a random book screen, then I x it out, and it pops up again and again, to the point where the only way to fix it is to power down(it did this multiple times), and the one I have now freezes all.the.time, in a book or shopping. I don't do anything fancy, I have about 20 books on it, and a few magazines I downloaded for a trial. I sudoku most of the time.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
The first one had this strange volume issue, when I pressed the + the volume went down, until it muted about 5 times and then it would go back up, but then it would go down again when I stopped it. The second one, when I'm shopping for a book, it will just start popping up a random book screen, then I x it out, and it pops up again and again, to the point where the only way to fix it is to power down(it did this multiple times), and the one I have now freezes all.the.time, in a book or shopping. I don't do anything fancy, I have about 20 books on it, and a few magazines I downloaded for a trial. I sudoku most of the time.
Mine doesn't do any of those things. It works fine. I don't know why you don't get it replaced & start enjoying a properly working unit! You should not need a receipt to get it replaced, so why do you put up with a defective unit?

kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Mine doesn't do any of those things. It works fine. I don't know why you don't get it replaced & start enjoying a properly working unit! You should not need a receipt to get it replaced, so why do you put up with a defective unit?

kev
It's sad to say, but these days when you nicely let the manufacture have a crack at 'repairing' your defective unit under warranty, they usually just give you someone else's problem in the form of some other guys returned and supposedly 'refurbished' unit. Often the repair or refurbishment facility just does a quick cursory check, and declairs the flaky returned unit 'NTF' (No Trouble Found) and sends it right back out.

I hate to say it, but your best bet for dealing with this, is to simply ALWAYS return defective merchandise for A FULL REFUND. Then if you haven't totally lost faith in that product, BUY A BRAND NEW UNIT OFF THE SHELF.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Then if you haven't totally lost faith in that product, BUY A BRAND NEW UNIT OFF THE SHELF.
Unless, of course, you are at Walmart where someone else's defective return has already been returned to the shelf.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Unless, of course, you are at Walmart where someone else's defective return has already been returned to the shelf.
This happens everywhere. I was watching this thing (or reading it, maybe?) about underwear, they tested like 30 stores, from walmart to really high end, and all but like 2 just put panties back out on the floor, and of those a good percent had been worn. Ewwww.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Who the heck returns worn panties?! Unreal. You know what size you wear. I hope these folks aren't giving them as gifts.

Last edited by SCION; 02-24-2011 at 09:02 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
that is odd, mine hasn't done any of these things. Did you get both units from the same store? The reason why I ask is sometimes bad batches (lemons) tend to be together. or that something happened to the same batch during shipping to that particular sight.

If I were you, I would first see if they is another store near by and exchange there or I would call customer service and have them send you a new one.
Basically what should happen is BN will send you a new nook color with pre paid postage box to send back the defective unit.

this is a great device, I wouldn't let a lemon get in your way of enjoying every aspect of it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Unless I missed it, we don't know what was or was not returned????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #24
meadow123
meadow123 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I was in your situation. In one week, I actually bought and returned both a Kindle 3 and a Nook Color. Within two days, I was very sad about the kindle and missed it terribly (I did not think I could get used to the page flashing, everyone assured me I would). I reordered the kindle before Amazon even had my first one back, and I am totally in love. No regrets. LOVE.

The Nook Color was a no brainer for me, it just is not something that works for me at all. It weighs a ton. I don't want an android tablet, they all run like my crappy Samsung Fascinate phone when it comes down to it, and the Nook Color ran especially badly- choppy, non-responsive, etc. Nothing but relief when I returned it.

Another thing that also helped me is understanding the Kindle is AWESOME, in my opinion, unbeatable at the thing it does. I just really like it. But it is priced low enough that it doesn't have to be my be all end all of technology. I will get the upcoming iPad most likely, to fill other "tablet" yearnings.
meadow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #25
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Gonna return one sunday.. still not sure, but the kindle has grown on me a lot.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #26
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
I really can't afford both, but I have a nook color and a kindle 3 sitting here. One needs to be returned. The kindle is the wifi only version due to it being significantly cheaper than the 3g version.

Such very different devices. Both have pros and cons.
Let me explain what I do. I read books on occasion, but when I do I READ. So for example I will get the itch, go the book store find a good book in a series and then read for weeks 3 to 4 hours a day until the series is done. Then I won't read again for a while.

The nook color has a really nice screen. Navigation is a pleasure. I love the finger swiping for page turns. The color is nice, and sepia background at 20% brightness looks really good. However, the glow bugs me a bit. Also the strobing from the modulation of leds is somewhat bothersome at certain settings. The weight is such that I must put in on my leg to read as my hand doesn't want to hold it for an extended period. The battery life is sad. 8 hours with wifi off and brightness low. The extra features are awesome. Surfing is great, the ability to root and get a tablet is very nice (though battery life is not good for long term use this way).

The kindle does nothing. However, with a san serif font, and good lighting this is pleasure to read on. I do not like the buttons though. I feel the page turn buttons are less than stellar. The clicky is annoying. The black to white thing is a bit distracting though I find it becomes acceptable with reading time. This device is just easy on the eyes and a good read. I find myself able to read without thinking about settings. That makes it ideal for an anal retentive guy like me. But the device feels limited to some extent. Part of me says this is perfect for a reader and part of me has issue with spending $140 for a device if this is all it does.

Anyway I like both in there own way. Both have pros and cons. I must return one and honestly am tempted to return both to wait for the next thing. But I feel I want to keep one.

Help?
If you don't like the buttons on the Kindle, but you want an e-ink e-book reader, why don't you look into returning both and getting a Sony PRS-350, 650 or 950 instead. They have touch screens. Otherwise, return the one you use less. If you don't think you will use the tablet features of the NC, or if you don't read things that need to be displayed in colour (magazines, comics, etc.), you'd probably better off with the Kindle or another e-ink device.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #27
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

I looked at the sony.. very neat, but expensive and not as dark as the kindle. If it's price was lower and it had better text darkness I might be sold on the 950. 350 is just too small for my tastes. The nook is just plain ugly.

On another note. I am returning my NC today for my 3rd replacement in two weeks. Each has a dead pixel. This one has 4. So if the next one has dead pixels the issue is an easy one.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
I looked at the sony.. very neat, but expensive and not as dark as the kindle. If it's price was lower and it had better text darkness I might be sold on the 950. 350 is just too small for my tastes. The nook is just plain ugly.

On another note. I am returning my NC today for my 3rd replacement in two weeks. Each has a dead pixel. This one has 4. So if the next one has dead pixels the issue is an easy one.
The text can be darkened directly on the device, but yes, it is expensive. The PRS-650 is a cheaper option. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the NC.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Maybe pick up a $99 Nook Classic refurb? You still get finger swipe for page turning and a decent e-ink screen. Battery life won't be great, but better than NOOKcolor. And maybe you'll feel better spending less for a more limited device. You'll also still be able to get library books, so not as limited as Kindle, in some respects.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #30
Zarich
Zealot

But you get the ugliest e-reader available. Sorry but that solid white thick border around the whole device completely kills it for me. I liked it all except for that.